• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell NIB Husky 288xp, 353, Stihl 660, 070, 381, Echo CS-1201

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say is $1100.00 is not going to buy my mint 288, that's a bargain in my opinion, people who have ran a 288 know they are as reliable as an anvil and make great power.

The 288xp was an amazing saw, but I would qualify that by specifying “in its day”. It was designed starting in 1985, released in 1988, and discontinued in 2001. At this point the design is 30+ years old.
While it was reliable enough, has a great power to weight ratio, is simple to work on with no complicated computer carb, or lean burning strato cylinder, the general design of chainsaws has improved. Smoother AV, fewer noxious emissions, and better fuel economy are just a few of the ways saws have improved making them more enjoyable to use over long days. Not to mention, there is less demand for larger saws today than there was in the past, as fewer land owners have large trees they are regularly cutting down. Plus, finding parts to service these older saws is becoming harder to do, and more expensive, so for the service industry who might need a larger saw more often it is difficult to maintain an older saw like the 288xp. More often than not the 288s left today become relegated to become shelf queens and occasional-use machines. As tools, it is hard to get your money’s worth out of them, but as hobby collectibles it is another story.

A few loggers here are still using there 288s and parts are still readily available at the dealer yet, P&C run about 120.00-140.00 right now. Cases are the only part I know of that are not available here in the States.

You quoted me $1150 USD, shipping included to the US last fall, when the exchange rate with the Real was about 3:1 USD/BRL. Today it’s close to 4:1, and the price has only barely budged.
quit whining and either buy it or don't buy it for ****s sake you sound like a ****ing women. :) :) :)

people who have ran a 288 know they are as reliable as an anvil and make great power.

Yes they are very reliable. The difference between a 288 and an anvil though is if you run them over with a skidder the anvil will still be usable. I used to do repairs for a logging company that used 288's exclusively. Only time I saw them is after encounters with a skidder or falling tree, and the occasional cracked squiggly line. Usually a tank housing and a wrap handle was all it took to put 'em back to work. Great saws for sure.

Ms381 production has been officially stopped, this is one of the very few available in dealership. Its truly an end of an era, Ms382 will take over the market in 3rd world countries small/medium timber felling saw

Attachments

• IMG_20190419_091947.jpg
    IMG_20190419_091947.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20190419_092003.jpg
    IMG_20190419_092003.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20190419_092025.jpg
    IMG_20190419_092025.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20190419_091952.jpg
    IMG_20190419_091952.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 84
Robin, may I ask, what is the difference between an ms381 and ms382 ?

Almost different saw altogether, unlike 038 to 380/381 change. Ms382 went through complete change over, its got new case, starter cover, cylinder design, tank, air filter, crank, flywheel. It weight 400grams less and has better cooling system due to lighter aluminium flywheel with improved fins. Acceleration/throttle response is better but torque might have been sacrificed a little. Improved fuel consumption as well

Almost different saw altogether, unlike 038 to 380/381 change. Ms382 went through complete change over, its got new case, starter cover, cylinder design, tank, air filter, crank, flywheel. It weight 400grams less and has better cooling system due to lighter aluminium flywheel with improved fins. Acceleration/throttle response is better but torque might have been sacrificed a little. Improved fuel consumption as well
Thank you sir.

Back