Nice Homemade Firewood Processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
YouTube is full of homemade firewood processors. Some look interesting. Several make you cringe.

This one stuck me as being a little more thought out than most. Pretty simple. I like the way that the log rolls into the splitter instead of dropping.

Might want to add a pulley so that he pulls down on the saw instead of lifting up.

Philbert

Last edited:
Just gotta watch that he doesn't hit the ram with the chain at the nose. That'd hurt.

that is really awesome...it would be cool to have the skill to assemble something llike that...They could do it on the A-Team in 5 minutes or so. It would take me 5 years

My buddy and I plan to build a processor this spring. We think that once it's complete we will be able to process a years worth of wood in a single day. And we only plan to spend $1K or less.

We do already have most of the hydraulic pieces and the engine. I will make sure to post the progress.

"A years worth of wood in a single day" is a relative statement :) Relative to how much you actually burn in a years time.

"A years worth of wood in a single day" is a relative statement :) Relative to how much you actually burn in a years time.

That's a great observation.

Last year I consumed about 1,200 gallons of propane.

This year I installed an owb.

That's about the same btu's as 12,000 pounds of wood. Nearly all species of wood has about the same amount of energy per pound, approximately 9,000 btu.

That's a little over 4 full cord of elm or ash

Or 6 full cord of white pine. Or some combination of the 2.

Perhaps processing a pile of ash 4'x4'x32' in one day is a little overly optimistic.

My math does not include differences in the efficiency of the owb vs the LPG boiler But as a rough estimate I plan to burn about four cord of hardwood.

So I'm hoping to process about 0.5 cord per hour.

Last edited:
That rig looks like it was made for a shorter bar, and maybe the chains dulled too fast?

If he had more height on the in-feed ramp, he could've avoided the ram and had a cut log ready when the ram was retracted.

In fact, you could make a gate that held the wood unless the ram was fully retracted - make it lever operated on springs to use the return stroke trigger it.

That is a splitter with accoutrements to make it a processor. I like.

Mr. HE:cool:

Back