nice load of red oak this morning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm the last house on a 1/4 mile common driveway. This morning when I went to leave to run some errands I saw that the house on the road at the end of the driveway was having a tree service company remove a couple of large red oaks. I asked the foreman what they were doing with the wood. He replied "Chipping the limbs, and bringing the butt logs to their company site." I asked if they sold firewood, he laughed and said not much and that the logs would likely rot before they turned them into firewood. I offered to take the wood and he said to ask the owner of the house. I talked to my neighbor and he didn't mind, so after returning from my errands I helped push the 2 trees over with the Kioti, and they cut up the wood into manageable pieces.

One tree was 31" at the stump, and the other was 28". With the butt logs and the two 6x10 trailer loads of limb wood, I'd say there's around 2 cords total. The Kioti with front grapple really saved the day. I drove all of the big logs down the driveway and piled them up. It was pouring rain the whole time, but I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity. I told the neighbor I would bring him some split wood for his firepit for letting me have the wood. I felt a little bad as his lawn got a little rutted with the tractor. Not much I could do. The logs were to big to manhandle without a machine.

I've been lucky this year. Aside from this morning the town has cut several good sized trees on my road and left the wood. I've gotten 3 or 4 trailer loads from that, and my brother is building a new house, so several loads from his lot. I really want to build my woodshed soon.

Latest posts

Back