Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go Nik, this thread will have a few Jamokes scratching there heads! :)

Yes I have a few Poulans! I am particularly fond of the 306-245 saws. Tough old birds for sure. I am always looking for the bigger saws that Poulan made, but there just not too common around here.

Just to bring everyone up to speed I did actually work at a Allis Chalmers dealership that was also a Poulan dealer from about 1978-1981 or 82, (long time ago to remember)

The biggest I think we ever sold was maybe a 4200. Just not that much call for much bigger around here.

I think for now I just sealed the deal on the beat up 3700 for the P/C swap on my second 3400 that I picked up last sunday. The 3700 is supposed to run with almost 150lbs compression.

I figured you'd show up here. :D

:cheers:

Way to go Nik, this thread will have a few Jamokes scratching there heads! :)

Yes I have a few Poulans! I am particularly fond of the 306-245 saws. Tough old birds for sure. I am always looking for the bigger saws that Poulan made, but there just not too common around here.

Just to bring everyone up to speed I did actually work at a Allis Chalmers dealership that was also a Poulan dealer from about 1978-1981 or 82, (long time ago to remember)

The biggest I think we ever sold was maybe a 4200. Just not that much call for much bigger around here.

I think for now I just sealed the deal on the beat up 3700 for the P/C swap on my second 3400 that I picked up last sunday. The 3700 is supposed to run with almost 150lbs compression.

I tell you the day I got over 140, i NEEDED my diaper

While I am not a Poulan afficianado, I do have a PP405 that currently has only 75 lbs compression. It is in the same range (cc-wise) as the 8500, but is from a later era. :confused:

After I get a few more of my favorite brand running, I will strip it down and see what else it needs. That will be my first foray into reed valves so it should be a learning experience.

If I was to look for another, it would have to be an old Poulan, and hopefully one that is old enough to make me want to restore it.

:cheers:

Chris, that's Ok if you have a Poulan that's really a Pioneer, I have a Poulan that's actually a Partner!

I have a few Poulan's that are not listed in my sig. 3700, 3800, 335, and a 245A (all runners). The 335 is a killer for a 54cc saw. It is almost as good as my 036 Pro. I also have a 361 complete with a locked up motor if anyone wants it pm me, just pay shipping and it's yours. :givebeer::cheers:

:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm still branded! :givebeer:

I do have other brands too.

I just happen to belive that the older Poulans stacked up very well against all those other brands back then.

Heck even the cheap Poulan Pros today I would still take over the Mac's and Homelites.....

I've posted this before, but, it may be worth mentioning again. I'm freshening up a 041 AV Farmboss for a great friend. My boss told me back in the day, the Poulans were outcutting the Stihls in the bush (those that know me, know I'm a FAIR Stihl head). After noodling with the 4000, I;m thinking he may not be as far from the truth as I thought.... Hopefully video documentation to follow

Chris, that's Ok if you have a Poulan that's really a Pioneer, I have a Poulan that's actually a Partner!

... and that right there is a prime example of how little I know about saws overall. I had no clue that it was really a Pioneer in Poulan clothing. :D

As a matter of fact, I just went to the acres site and there are 5 categories listed for Poulan. :dizzy:

I have a few and think they are really a fine saw. I got into them kind of late in the game. Unfortunately, I had been influenced by so many looking down their nose at them. At this point, I can only speculate why people do. It is probably the influence of the current crop being produced, which is unfortunate. Mine, for some odd reason, are all re-badged versions. Two are 245's in Dayton clothes and the other is a 5200 dressed as a Craftsman that I got from Hoss. It seems that if these are any example that the Poulans have a great CC/Power/Weight ratio. I like the ones I have, they are all great running saws. I also have a 455 and a 655. While they are labeled as Poulans we all know they are mostly Pioneers, sort of the opposite of those mentioned above. Those too are really strong saws, especially the 655 which is serious bad boy, light and nimble for a 100CC class saw. There are a few others they made, re-badged or not, that I would like to acquire some day.

I guess there's no way you'd make the Indiana GTG

Not this time, but the saw is not ready yet anyway. It runs fine, but not ready to cut. I will post some pics when it get it all sorted out. It's probably going to end up wearing about another 12 inches of bar. The tall filter is going to stay. I think Thomas72 has an 8500 also. I know he has a 5200. There are very few Poulans he doesn't have. Maybe he will chime in with a few pics. Anyone here ever see a model 744 geardrive?

Not this time, but the saw is not ready yet anyway. It runs fine, but not ready to cut. I will post some pics when it get it all sorted out. It's probably going to end up wearing about another 12 inches of bar. The tall filter is going to stay. I think Thomas72 has an 8500 also. I know he has a 5200. There are very few Poulans he doesn't have. Maybe he will chime in with a few pics. Anyone here ever see a model 744 geardrive?

gear drive. eh? Love to see it

No, just the picture that he posted at my request. As you know I'm not really into the old manual oiler saws and especially not gear drives, but that 744 is on my want list.

I'm not sure why either, except that it is closely related to the 306-245 series saws.

gear drive. eh? Love to see it

It is basically a 306/245 style saw that is geardrive. I'm not sure what the displacement is. There are not many of them. I have only ever seen one, and it is not mine. I'd probably put that one right at the top of my "Poulan Wanted" list. Of course a 655 and S6000 would be nice, but we all know that they're not really Poulans.

So far 30 posts, and I'm the only one with any pics here.....

I have a few and think they are really a fine saw. I got into them kind of late in the game. Unfortunately, I had been influenced by so many looking down their nose at them. At this point, I can only speculate why people do. It is probably the influence of the current crop being produced, which is unfortunate. Mine, for some odd reason, are all re-badged versions. Two are 245's in Dayton clothes and the other is a 5200 dressed as a Craftsman that I got from Hoss. It seems that if these are any example that the Poulans have a great CC/Power/Weight ratio. I like the ones I have, they are all great running saws. I also have a 455 and a 655. While they are labeled as Poulans we all know they are mostly Pioneers, sort of the opposite of those mentioned above. Those too are really strong saws, especially the 655 which is serious bad boy, light and nimble for a 100CC class saw. There are a few others they made, re-badged or not, that I would like to acquire some day.

I think your first couple lines hit the nail on the head.

It is basically a 306/245 style saw that is geardrive. I'm not sure what the displacement is. There are not many of them. I have only ever seen one, and it is not mine. I'd probably put that one right at the top of my "Poulan Wanted" list. Of course a 655 and S6000 would be nice, but we all know that they're not really Poulans.

So far 30 posts, and I'm the only one with any pics
here.....

Tim, I think the 744 is 74cc like the 245.

I think I have posted most of my pictures here before, what do you want to see?

Tim, I think the 744 is 74cc like the 245.

I think I have posted most of my pictures here before, what do you want to see?

Nothing really, just that these threads are always better with some eye candy. Email coming on the bars.

P1000406.jpg
[/IMG]

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/rms61moparman/P1000406.jpg

I love the old poulans and have owned tons of them. I have had 2 8500's , 3 5200,1 5400 , 1 s6000,1 PP655 just to list a few. Not to mention 13 306's at the same time and 7 different 245's. The s6000 is a snail compared to the pp655 high performance. The 8500,5400 and the 5200 are all the same saw just different years. My 5400 was awesome and would outrun all of it's brothers that I have owned and 1 of the 8500's was completely rebuilt. I have also owned 2 new pp505's. Sold 1 on ebay and gave the other to my dad for x-mas, it is his favorite saw to use. Unless he wants to make some noise then he picks up 1 of his 2 306's. The 505's are no slouch at 82.5cc and 13,500 rpm's dad runs 28'' bar on his and I ran mine with 36'' bar that it pulled really well. I :heart: this thread but now I am really missing some of the poulans that I sold!!!!!!!:cry: I got my 5400 back and nead to change the top end but have not had the time. This thread is awesome!!!!:clap::cheers::chainsaw:

Dang it I'm going to have to get some clothes on and go out to the garage to get some pictures!!!:monkey:

Back