Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped by my local equipment auction Friday. It’s usually a long one day event with 3-4 auctioneers. This year it’s all on line and the bidding lasts 3 days. They have quite a few saws this year. In one row is a 3400 and a 4000. I was thinking about throwing a $25 bid on each one. Both are clean, complete and have good felt compression. I usually only buy saws over 70 cc’s. But these are clean. I’m going to go by today to see what else came in. The bidding starts tomorrow. What do you guys think of the 3400 and 4000? I only have two Poulans, a very nice Super 68 with 31” bar and an XXV.

Well that's good to know!!! Everybody around me in my area just looks at me funny when I talk about picking up another Poulan saw.

Sir I will definitely have to come visit you here sometime after I get finished with harvest. And I'm always interested in bigger Poulan saws and I'm definitely never really looking for show queens. My house sits on 3 acres filled with trees and then I have 300 acres of farm land that has tree lines everywhere. Always cutting trees somewhere lol. When you say down 30 from you I'm assuming you're east of me. I don't make it east in Ohio very often. My plan is to leave here in the morning around 6:00 and be out there to meet the guy around 8:30. I'll check it out and pull the muffler and see how everything looks. I'm thinking I may offer him $250 and see what he says. Hopefully be back here by around 1:00 and can get some corn shelled.

I'm west of you. John is even further west. Me and him have met in middle a few times over the years and he has been to my place once.

The bean is in around my place. Just starting on the corn.

Had a little fun yesterday working and tuning on a locals 394 3120. Then short bars for play.

h3120166.jpgh394166.jpgforester72.jpgcannon42.jpgh3120394mmm.jpg

Stopped by my local equipment auction Friday. It’s usually a long one day event with 3-4 auctioneers. This year it’s all on line and the bidding lasts 3 days. They have quite a few saws this year. In one row is a 3400 and a 4000. I was thinking about throwing a $25 bid on each one. Both are clean, complete and have good felt compression. I usually only buy saws over 70 cc’s. But these are clean. I’m going to go by today to see what else came in. The bidding starts tomorrow. What do you guys think of the 3400 and 4000? I only have two Poulans, a very nice Super 68 with 31” bar and an XXV.
The 3400 is a good little saw with a muffler mod, I pick them up cheap -20 , fix them up and supply the needy.
The 4000 supposed to be a great saw but I haven't run into one yet.

The 4000 is my favorite saw. You can’t have too many!

Well made the trip. I ended up pulling the trigger and buying it. Ended up spending $275 but I also brought home a couple craftsman saws to add to the parts pile I have. Piston and cylinder looked beautiful!! Sat in a cold garage, gave her 2 pulls choked and she fired right up!! Got home and made a couple cuts in a gum tree I cut down this spring. Ate right through it. I'll probably throw a 28" bar and chain on and she should cut anything I need to drop around here. Only thing I'd like to find is a felling dog for it.

image2 (2).jpeg
image1 (2).jpeg

Line up of a few I have laying around. Most projects to get running this winter and then unload
image0.jpeg

I'm west of you. John is even further west. Me and him have met in middle a few times over the years and he has been to my place once.

The bean is in around my place. Just starting on the corn.

Had a little fun yesterday working and tuning on a locals 394 3120. Then short bars for play.

View attachment 863611View attachment 863612View attachment 863613View attachment 863614View attachment 863615

Got ya!! Well then I probably go right by you about every week. Meet the ex wife in Upper Sandusky for my daughter. Still got lots of beans that need run around here. I actually still have about 20 acres of my own to get done yet but with the rain and now looking like the warm weather is pretty much done for I'm not sure when I'll get back to them. So gonna start on the 150 acres of corn we have for now. Was coming off around 21% moisture so might as well get at it!!!

The piston had a little spot of wear on it just right of the exhaust port so not visible through the port. I sanded it with some fine cloth and it was pretty good.
Just an fyi, I was told to never sand a piston as the abrasive grit from the paper will embed itself in the piston and screw up the cylinder. What I was told to do is gently draw-file the scuffing instead.

The 3400 is a good little saw with a muffler mod, I pick them up cheap -20 , fix them up and supply the needy.
The 4000 supposed to be a great saw but I haven't run into one yet.
I might throw a bid on the 4000. I picked up 3 this weekend and the guy has about 20 more I’d like to get. I’m going to have to build shelves in my hunting cabin and move a bunch up there.

Well that's good to know!!! Everybody around me in my area just looks at me funny when I talk about picking up another Poulan.
The ones with the funny looks are the same ones that think Vintage Homelite's and Mac's are the same animals that are in HD today. They thoroughly believe that an MS 290 is the baddest saw ever made. I have an MS 290 and it's been a good saw, but, when I get one of the "funny lookers", I politely ask them to hand me my Poulan. When they sit there staring in the back of my truck, looking for green, I say, "The White one right in front of you". Then they get a REALLY FUNNY look on their face.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

I might throw a bid on the 4000. I picked up 3 this weekend and the guy has about 20 more I’d like to get. I’m going to have to build shelves in my hunting cabin and move a bunch up there.
Make sure you put curtains up in that cabin.

Just an fyi, I was told to never sand a piston as the abrasive grit from the paper will embed itself in the piston and screw up the cylinder. What I was told to do is gently draw-file the scuffing instead.
Whelp I guess we're gonna find out because I already glued it back together. Lol , seriously though I blasted it with alot of brake cleaner and inspected it pretty closely, considering the expansion rate of aluminum vs the abrasives I doubt that I with a light scuffing it would be stuck in the aluminum .

The ones with the funny looks are the same ones that think Vintage Homelite's and Mac's are the same animals that are in HD today. They thoroughly believe that an MS 290 is the baddest saw ever made. I have an MS 290 and it's been a good saw, but, when I get one of the "funny lookers", I politely ask them to hand me my Poulan. When they sit there staring in the back of my truck, looking for green, I say, "The White one right in front of you". Then they get a REALLY FUNNY look on their face.
XGX5TJQ.jpg
Seeing your old Poulan sandcast saw reminds me of the time at a GTG, couple guys fired up 3 of them at the same time, just to enjoy the sound. :clap: We called it our imitation of a top fuel dragster. lol

Gregg,

Seeing your old Poulan sandcast saw reminds me of the time at a GTG, couple guys fired up 3 of them at the same time, just to enjoy the sound. :clap: We called it our imitation of a top fuel dragster. lol

Gregg,

The Super 68 does sound good. I found a guy with a roll of half inch chain and he cut me a loop for the 31" bar for 30 bucks, now I'm afraid to cut with it. That chain just looks so nice on it.

Those old Top Fuelers still get together and just start them up. They call the GTG's "Cacle Fests".

Whelp I guess we're gonna find out because I already glued it back together. Lol , seriously though I blasted it with alot of brake cleaner and inspected it pretty closely, considering the expansion rate of aluminum vs the abrasives I doubt that I with a light scuffing it would be stuck in the aluminum .

It will be fine :)

Don't be afraid to chuck a bit more on that 4000 if its pretty tidy. Heck of a saw and if ya don't like it someone here will definitely take it off your hands. Maintenance supervisor needs 1 lol he Might leave his 700 at home for it sometimes:)

Gregg,

I forgot all about that. They made a very nice sound! Those were all Mark's if I recall correctly.

I forgot all about that. They made a very nice sound! Those were all Mark's if I recall correctly.
Yep, I think your right John. The green ones which were Super 71'A's, can't remember what the other one was. I think Chris might have had one also. I remember the first time I ran Marks 71, I didn't have ear protection on. Big mistake that was. Did't make that mistake a second time. lol :dizzy:

Gregg,

I use the stuff that they use to polish crank journals with. Never ever a issue over the last 10-12 years of cleaning up scored pistons.

From a thread yesterday evening.

Love easy money . Dropped off just now on a call in today. Locked up. Everything was checking out. Found fastener from inside pulley area came out and lodged behind flywheel. Now to finish putting back and test and tune.

Well guess need to put in a new fuel line first. Typical

Phew nasty

LOL found the idle screw missing and down by the lower tank vent area. smh

p3314x.jpgp3314xx.jpg

Back