Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ones with the funny looks are the same ones that think Vintage Homelite's and Mac's are the same animals that are in HD today. They thoroughly believe that an MS 290 is the baddest saw ever made. I have an MS 290 and it's been a good saw, but, when I get one of the "funny lookers", I politely ask them to hand me my Poulan. When they sit there staring in the back of my truck, looking for green, I say, "The White one right in front of you". Then they get a REALLY FUNNY look on their face.
XGX5TJQ.jpg

I have an MS290 as well and I'll tell ya right now it is not the best thing since sliced bread. It has its place don't get me wrong, but those Sthil guys get to out of control on stuff like that lol. What model is that old girl? I'm still learning. Old Poulans I really don't have a clue on honestly.

I have an MS290 as well and I'll tell ya right now it is not the best thing since sliced bread. It has its place don't get me wrong, but those Sthil guys get to out of control on stuff like that lol. What model is that old girl? I'm still learning. Old Poulans I really don't have a clue on honestly.
I think the best thing to happen to a ms290 is for a ms390 and pop up to happen to it.
The best thing for me was starting out with old saws, I don't think I would have even given Poulan a chance if I hadn't been running other older saws.
I see alot of threads about how the "new" saws cure cancer but frankly I'm not impressed the advances aren't just there for me ( bunch of fan boys ,with too much money in my opinion)
There are plenty of older poulans that will cut with the new saws.

The big white one is a Super 68 with a 31” bar and 1/2 inch chain.

It will be fine :)

Don't be afraid to chuck a bit more on that 4000 if its pretty tidy. Heck of a saw and if ya don't like it someone here will definitely take it off your hands. Maintenance supervisor needs 1 lol he Might leave his 700 at home for it sometimes:)
The 4000 had a high bid of $6 on it about noon so I stuck a $25 bid on it. As soon as I hit confirm my screen flashed “you have been out bid, do you want to increase your bid?” I think it was up to $60 last time I looked. I have it on my watch list. The auction runs till Friday.

I think the best thing to happen to a ms290 is for a ms390 and pop up to happen to it.
The best thing for me was starting out with old saws, I don't think I would have even given Poulan a chance if I hadn't been running other older saws.
I see alot of threads about how the "new" saws cure cancer but frankly I'm not impressed the advances aren't just there for me ( bunch of fan boys ,with too much money in my opinion)
There are plenty of older poulans that will cut with the new saws.

I’ve known a couple guys that have put the 390 stuff on their 290’s and they rave about them. This one still runs too good to fix.

We used Super EZ’s for climbing saws. We got a new climber that had a Poulen XXV. Once a year Dad would buy the climbers a new saw. When he got Rufus a new Poulen, we were so impressed we switched over to all XXV/25’s.

How’s old Doug doing?

Yep, I think your right John. The green ones which were Super 71'A's, can't remember what the other one was. I think Chris might have had one also. I remember the first time I ran Marks 71, I didn't have ear protection on. Big mistake that was. Did't make that mistake a second time. lol :dizzy:

Gregg,

Damn I miss that Reds hat! Had a few since but none the same...

The 4000 had a high bid of $6 on it about noon so I stuck a $25 bid on it. As soon as I hit confirm my screen flashed “you have been out bid, do you want to increase your bid?” I think it was up to $60 last time I looked. I have it on my watch list. The auction runs till Friday.

Do ya recon it will go high?

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. I'm going to be buying a Craftsman saw locally. It is either a 4200 or 5200. The model number is 358.358890. Do any of you know which saw this is? Its cheap, in good shape, and runs great so I'm going to buy it either way. Thanks in advance for your expert input.

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted. I'm going to be buying a Craftsman saw locally. It is either a 4200 or 5200. The model number is 358.358890. Do any of you know which saw this is? Its cheap, in good shape, and runs great so I'm going to buy it either way. Thanks in advance for your expert input.

Not an expert, but that’s a 5200, go to Sear’s parts direct site & type that number in. They have 4200 in the description, but your number aligns with the 5200 in the parts diagrams.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/search?q=358.358890

Read my post again, open up one of the parts diagrams & look at the top of the page to see your model aligning with the 5200.

Either way, they are both very good saws.
Ahh! I didnt go that far earlier. It certainly seems I'm getting a red 5200. Thanks for your input. For your viewing pleasure, attached is a pic of my green 5200.

Attachments

• 2012-12-07 20.57.42.jpg
    2012-12-07 20.57.42.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
So I had a cut in 1 of my poulan saw handles and I have another couple of nicer looking ones but this 1 had the nicer feeling rubber so I tried something.

Windscreen sealant :)

Before Screenshot_20201029-114226_Gallery.jpg
After20201029_113747.jpg20201029_114118.jpg
Still need to sort some proper decals for it but ahhh thats dam near a new bar.

Ahh! I didnt go that far earlier. It certainly seems I'm getting a red 5200. Thanks for your input. For your viewing pleasure, attached is a pic of my green 5200.
I don’t think they are as pretty in red but they sound just as good ! E61EAF83-6F75-4D35-8081-A09CEFEA18C1.png466EEBA2-A533-4F82-9762-745B8A750089.jpeg

Back