Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did Poulan make a saw that had a 47.5mm cylinder. I got a bunch of parts yesterday from a shop whose owner died. He had several NOS poulan parts and this cylinder and piston rings and pin was there. I have searched but can't find what cylinder I have. The box had 3400 hand written on it but I don't think so

Just picked up an other Sand Cast, 53A, and it still has the dogs on it!
D0MrcEm.jpg

EDOa0LU.jpg

Did Poulan make a saw that had a 47.5mm cylinder. I got a bunch of parts yesterday from a shop whose owner died. He had several NOS poulan parts and this cylinder and piston rings and pin was there. I have searched but can't find what cylinder I have. The box had 3400 hand written on it but I don't think so
Yes 3800 has a bore of 1.87. 47.5mm is 1.87. The piston is chrome and wide rings

Hello all. Im restoring a 306A. I need seals. The thread I pulled up says skf 5542 is a good cross reference for the fly wheele side. $21 on ebay. Is there a cheaper option and Dichtomatic 068091VM for The clutch side. I get nothing on a search for that one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210117-194136.png
    Screenshot_20210117-194136.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 11
Well after more digging i was able to get all three seals at a reasonable price. Now I need a condenser. I have sourced new points and it would be a waist to install without a new condenser, but i can't find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Well after more digging i was able to get all three seals at a reasonable price. Now I need a condenser. I have sourced new points and it would be a waist to install without a new condenser, but i can't find one. Any help would be appreciated.
If the ignition parts turn out to be hard to find, which I doubt, consider an electronic chip conversion. The chip is $12-$16 and easy to install. I've had very good results on the three I've installed, two in saws and one on my JD 265. Only issue is get it out in the air, One guy on another site said he had four chips fail almost instantly. My instructions said mount it as far from the coil as possible. The other guy said he couldn't find a spot to mount his, so he mounted it to the coil. I've been able to run the wires out under the flywheel and mount it out of sight and in fresh air. The one on my Super 1050 is well over ten years old.

Yep, and I was sorry to see that fleebay eliminated the asterisk * for a wild card search, a crappy software programmer move. Greasy haired geeks got lazy on us, lol.

I also see that here on AS they eliminated the three digit minimum search, another crappy move too...as most older saw models’ nomenclatures are three digit, like 245, 306, 400 etc.

However, you can throw the asterisk in & make it four digits, ie Poulan 306* and the search will pick some of them up.

So normally when im going to start one of these projects I make a list of common components I like to replace. Lines, filters, carburetor kit, points,condenser and any parts that are broken. I dug into this one today after getting everything orderd and low and behold no points. I guess this is the later model or someone scavenged parts which I doubt. I did remove the top of the tank to remove all the corrosion so I'll have to cut a gasket. Should be a nice saw when its done.

So normally when im going to start one of these projects I make a list of common components I like to replace. Lines, filters, carburetor kit, points,condenser and any parts that are broken. I dug into this one today after getting everything orderd and low and behold no points. I guess this is the later model or someone scavenged parts which I doubt. I did remove the top of the tank to remove all the corrosion so I'll have to cut a gasket. Should be a nice saw when its done.
Well, don’t guess. You can easily tell the 306 ignition type by the flywheel, so post up a close pic of the bottom or inside of your FW.

Finally got my $1 3400 going yesterday. The chain brake was broken so I'm just using the clutch cover portion. Why is it that these older saws are so much easier to start than more modern Poland?
Because back in the day when those were made there was no global warming. In other words there were not all the regulations that we have today regarding the emissions for chainsaws.

Who would have ever thought of a catalytic converter being installed on a chainsaw or any other hand held 2 stroke equipment. I gutted out the ones installed in my Earthquake digger and my Echo cs400. Both run better and my diggers muffler stopped glowing red inside and shooting blue flames out of it. Late in the evenings when I would be running it, you could see blue fire coming from it and that thang would be hot also. Now that don't happen and it runs cooler. Don't know how long it would have lasted til the piston got toasted from it. Glad I pulled them out of my stuff. Just got a new Husqvarna 525L trimmer, will have to see if it has one also.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Back