Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went water fall site seeing again today, no saws involved.
0db0b88a4c7d8d5c9e7fff2735aa64ab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

So, scrounging around FB market place last night and found this a couple towns over. The kids (yes kid as he's only 14 or so) last name sounded familiar so I asked the wife if she recognized it. He's the son of one of my wifes good friends. Had the wife message her as the whole family had a family emergency outta state and was on there way back and offered the kid $40. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, and plan to use it for parts only for my grandfathers 3700. Kids says it fires but won't run. Happy Happy Joy Joy to me!

1st time I've ever been able to find a 3700 or Craftsmans version of it. I see a lot of the Wild Things and some Pros for sale, but never anything before the 90's. I had a Wild Thing years ago, and thought I still had it, but it's nowhere to be found. It never really ran that good, but always got me by until a tree fell across my driveway 5yrs ago and wouldnt run for more then seconds at a time. Bought an Echo CS400 and never looked back.Screenshot_20200530-211023_Facebook.jpg

So, scrounging around FB market place last night and found this a couple towns over. The kids (yes kid as he's only 14 or so) last name sounded familiar so I asked the wife if she recognized it. He's the son of one of my wifes good friends. Had the wife message her as the whole family had a family emergency outta state and was on there way back and offered the kid $40. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, and plan to use it for parts only for my grandfathers 3700. Kids says it fires but won't run. Happy Happy Joy Joy to me!

1st time I've ever been able to find a 3700 or Craftsmans version of it. I see a lot of the Wild Things and some Pros for sale, but never anything before the 90's. I had a Wild Thing years ago, and thought I still had it, but it's nowhere to be found. It never really ran that good, but always got me by until a tree fell across my driveway 5yrs ago and wouldnt run for more then seconds at a time. Bought an Echo CS400 and never looked back.View attachment 832282

Great score!

3450 Type 3. 60cc. My tag came off but the other way to tell are the extra cooling fins on top of the jug. Only difference between a type 3 3450 and 3750 besides decals is the clutch. All the 3750 got the HD 3 shoe clutchView attachment 811741View attachment 811742
No not all the 3750's had a 3 shoe clutch from factory. My friend purchased a new one and it was a 2 shoe clutch. The type 3 3450's were actually pretty common...I have had maybe 6-8 of them of them out of roughly 40 3450's that I've owned.

So I'm gonna need new rings for the 3700.
The piston has 2 thin rings so does anyone have an item #?
I tried the inline tester and have spark for the entire time it will run. If I don't have the bar and chain on it will run a bit but add the b&c and it will only pop.
Also what's the best type of hone or should I use scotch brite pad?
I'll post a picture of the piston and rings in a bit. The piston has a few scratches but not terrible.
8836f67b8b1eee007b38ad5d205efbea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'll be picking it up tomorrow, and plan to use it for parts only for my grandfathers 3700.
1st time I've ever been able to find a 3700 or Craftsmans version of it. I see a lot of the Wild Things and some Pros for sale, but never anything before the 90's.View attachment 832282

Post up the 358.XXXXXX model number on that top label when you pick it up.

Don't want to be the grey storm cloud, but there’s a good chance that it’s only a fat ring chrome piston 3800, mislabeled as a thin ring 3700.

Sears did pull some really dumb marketing stunts back then...hopefully you’ll get lucky!

MP, I would say Jack's Small Engines but they are more than likely sold out. I snatched up a set back in the winter when they still had a few. I was planning ahead on that.

The two reasons I can think of is you can buck a log on the ground without bending over and the thin bar doesn’t bind like a regular bar does.
Gary
Thanks, Gary,
I never knew about bowsaws until I read about them on this site. All of my saw work from early teens to geezer, have been with bar saws.
James

I never knew what a straight bar was til the early 80's. All we had were bows. Got and still have my first straight bar, craftsman 2.3 with a 14" bar, later changed to a 16" bar. Was used for trimming limbs off the fellen tree. Was faster than the bow and my back didn't bother me then.

I see far less 3 shoe on 3750 then 2 shoe and i have had alot of them.

That one on tire isnt mine.

You never know who has changed what. Like this 380. Has a 2 shoe. I always thought all 380's had 3 shoe. So who knows.

One of my type 3 3450 had 3 shoe. But when he broke spring during cutting it got a 2 shoe to get back at it. So now there is a 3450 type 3 with a 2 shoe for sure. ;)

Bottom 3 pics were some 3450 that came through me with 3 shoe. some 54cc

ptabb2018d.jpgpbbx.jpgp380topend.jpg
p3450xzzzz.jpgp3450vvv.jpgp345000.jpg

Back