Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might be tapering the opening on my cases a bit much but they do start real easy. First seal I installed in a 3400 got damage cause it hung the case opening. After I tapered the opening more, problem was solved. I also apply a little sealent after I install them.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I love these little saws once broken in and muffler modded. But I swear you need to retune them twice a day till they are broken in. What’s up with that!!

92AFD633-17F8-4EBC-B89A-EC535616578D.jpeg

This type of stuff is why I created my chainsaw repair website and CR group many years ago.
If you don’t know how to fix it just ask.

Can you all see what is wrong here (99.9% of you all will see it). So glad it didn’t score that thin ring 49cc topend.

View attachment 854279View attachment 854280View attachment 854281
Yipes. Forgot about the impulse line in my other response. Vent line is going to impulse nipple on carb.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

testing done with known good carb. Perfect.
1f60e.png
1f44d.png
✌️
1f37a.png

p3000donecarb.jpg

Have a 3400 I'm thinking of selling but one issue is giving me a headache. The recoil occasionally will skip a beat when you try to start the saw.. Flywheel dogs looks fine as does the starter pulley. Obviously one has to be worn. I'm betting on the pulley but it looks okay. If I recall I did switch recoil assemblies several months ago with no change. Maybe it is the flywheel dogs!

Hey Bob,
If the plastic pulley engagement teeth are flat & clean of crap down in the corners, then check that both of the pawls are 90 degrees straight up & not bent.

If the pawls engagement edges are worn & rounded off, you may have to square them back up with a flat file, or else replace them.

Might also check the starter spindle post for excessive wear, where the pulley bore rides, kind of hard to troubleshoot starters over the internet.

C9F48C2E-F0EC-44D8-94CB-5BC4A7F66534.jpeg

Hey Bob,
If the plastic pulley engagement teeth are flat & clean of crap down in the corners, then check that both of the pawls are 90 degrees straight up & not bent.

If the pawls engagement edges are worn & rounded off, you may have to square them back up with a flat file, or else replace them.

Might also check the starter spindle post for excessive wear, where the pulley bore rides, kind of hard to troubleshoot starters over the internet.

View attachment 854535
I’ll give it a shot. Thanks

Newcomer to the fleet today.

I know nothing about the saw but for $20 I didn’t ask questions either. Now my 245 has a little brother.

Also, why is the 245 a larger cc saw than the 306?
View attachment 854656
View attachment 854659
I asked the same question many years ago. It's one of those "mysteries".

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Also, why is the 245 a larger cc saw than the 306?
Same thought here, they sure used some strange nomenclature. Poulan aficionado ModifiedMark may have some better insight on this.

The cubic inch displacements (3.6 & 4.5) of those two saws are somewhat incorporated into their model numbers, but not in the same way. I remember that the early 306 saws had a “Thirty-o-Six“ script on the clutch cover label. See the attached picture (copied from an old 2011 Ohiogregg post) with full Garand chargers below.

They kept the 245 as a 200 series saw, & then assigned the 306 to a 300 series. Not sure why though, but it could have been a marketing call as they already had used up model numbers 360 & 361. The 306 & 245 shared a lot of parts except crankshafts, rods, top handles, top covers, top end parts & wrist pin/bearings.

The older Poulan 360 & 361 model have the same cuin as the 306 & even used the same piston & rings.

3C80C2D6-4137-435B-8472-F21EF1E3CF8B.jpeg

Being things were going easy yesterday. Another one of those chrome bore 54cc blue decal. Last one of these to go through. Will make 4 runners just in these ones when done. So will be putting some up for adoption.

Guessing they were using tape to try and hold on/off wires on. All they needed to do was close the female end some. Tape gone.
;)

Poulan guys will know this. See the difference in this tank and the other one I did today.

She lives too. #4

c334.jpgc3344.jpgc33444.jpgc334444.jpgc3344444.jpgc33444444.jpg

Back