Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being things were going easy yesterday. Another one of those chrome bore 54cc blue decal. Last one of these to go through. Will make 4 runners just in these ones when done. So will be putting some up for adoption.

Guessing they were using tape to try and hold on/off wires on. All they needed to do was close the female end some. Tape gone.
;)

Poulan guys will know this. See the difference in this tank and the other one I did today.

She lives too. #4

View attachment 854750View attachment 854752View attachment 854753View attachment 854754View attachment 854755View attachment 854756
Do you find the kill switch on these models are very easy to accidentally bump to off?

Thought I would post this video heads-up. Some of you probably know of Buckin Billy Ray" and his youtube videos. He has one the other day on couple big Poulans. A 5200 & a 5400. Interesting video, and like he says, the big Poulans are getting hard to find, but they are out there and are great running saws.

Gregg,

So after talking in person to the guy, it turns out he dumped the fuel and oil a couple years ago when he stopped using it.
He said he pulled thirty or so times and it wouldn’t start with fresh fuel. He called a shop and they told him it probably needed a new carb and it would be $100 just to look at it.
I’m not sure what he was doing to start it but it fired on choke second pull and fired right up off choke. It runs like a top!!!
I’m giving it a cleaning , this is how far I’ve got.
984dba99c1ac987bae2a499fa1564f40.jpg

2ed9d98ad024b534be1a727f97ba913f.jpg

262bb8d5e93a2792dc8a3b5db4acd6e8.jpg

690fc7f220fd7c4a59b5b4a39165a2e3.jpg

So I did a thing today.
Been running my 3700 a little the last four of months and it seemed lacking on power. Checked compression and it settled in at just over 150 on 5 pulls. Thought for sure when I checked it a few months ago I only got 120. Only difference is I used the solid bar instead of the hose. Did a leakdown test with my mityvac and while it did leak under pressure it seemed pretty minimal, maybe 1psi every 2-3 minutes. Vacuum wise it wouldnt hold 5" mercury for 3 min. Been starting good too.
Since I had the seals figured might as well replace them and do the base gasket delete while I'm there. That pto side seal was a pita! Ended up having to assemble the cases and massage the seal on to the crank. With the seal in the case the square corner of the shoulder kept grabbing the seal and pushing it out If I had known the start of that diameter had no function I would have just chamfered it and save myself some time and agrevation.
So got it all back together and checked the compression and it hit just over 180psi which since my cancer surgery was difficult to pull over.
Started her up and let it idle a bit. Idled ok once warmed but not well when cold. Probably needs a little tuning on the carb which I'll go over tomorrow. Sounds a little crisper and a deeper tone on the exhaust. Need to find some info on modding the muffler. Did do a little port matching and polished the intake and exhaust while I was there. The old seals were pretty hard, surprised they sealed at all.

So after talking in person to the guy, it turns out he dumped the fuel and oil a couple years ago when he stopped using it.
He said he pulled thirty or so times and it wouldn’t start with fresh fuel. He called a shop and they told him it probably needed a new carb and it would be $100 just to look at it.
I’m not sure what he was doing to start it but it fired on choke second pull and fired right up off choke. It runs like a top!!!

That saw has hardly ever seen wood!

So I did a thing today.
Vacuum wise it wouldnt hold 5" mercury for 3 min. That pto side seal was a pita! Ended up having to assemble the cases and massage the seal on to the crank.
No saw assembly pictures?

What brand of seals did you use, & what was the holding time & vacuum reading in “Hg after your final assembly testing?

I fixed a 3700 last week that the seals gave out in only a few seconds at 4 to 5” Hg too.

3C5C4E91-F424-4268-BD28-C256F2D9C98C.jpeg

Beautiful saw, minimal if any use. I'd ask what other saws he has just for fun given the condition of the 2150. Nice find! Max.

Being things were going easy yesterday. Another one of those chrome bore 54cc blue decal. Last one of these to go through. Will make 4 runners just in these ones when done. So will be putting some up for adoption.

Guessing they were using tape to try and hold on/off wires on. All they needed to do was close the female end some. Tape gone.
;)

Poulan guys will know this. See the difference in this tank and the other one I did today.She lives too. #4
…….View attachment 854756
It even has the red trigger and kill switch like the Poulan Predator has. Very good.

What other models of saws are in the Wild Thing family?

I’m thinking about shedding a number of various project saws and just keeping the 4218 family and 260 family models for simplicity.

So I did a thing today.
Been running my 3700 a little the last four of months and it seemed lacking on power. Checked compression and it settled in at just over 150 on 5 pulls. Thought for sure when I checked it a few months ago I only got 120. Only difference is I used the solid bar instead of the hose. Did a leakdown test with my mityvac and while it did leak under pressure it seemed pretty minimal, maybe 1psi every 2-3 minutes. Vacuum wise it wouldnt hold

What brand of seals did you use, & what was the holding time & vacuum reading in “Hg after your final assembly testing?

I fixed a 3700 last week that the seals gave out in only a few seconds at 4 to 5” Hg too.

View attachment 854937
Spent 6hrs tearing it down and started reassembly Sat., then spent another 8hrs Sunday splitting the case twice before I was happy on the assembly and finishing the assembly. Didnt finish until almost 9 Sunday night so no pics. I will get some though. Really want to get some green paint to finish it off. Gonna try to pick up a new sprocket and maybe clutch and spring.

View attachment 854937
Hotshot, I'd have to go back out and look at boxes for seals, but I used what was suggested I use (might have been you actually)
Havent done new tests yet. We finally just got the ok to start our youth football program so coaching will be about all that's on my mind for the next 6-7 weeks.
Thank god I bought that Craftsman 3.7 as somehow between my son tearing down and inspecting a leaf blower and myself on the saw I managed to lose a couple of screws and the damn woodruff key.

Honestly, this summer has been great for my son and I. It started with a good friend just up and leaving his g.f. of 10yrs, 2 months behind on house payments and 3 months on tractor payments (then own a horse farm and run a camp during the summer). He had about a dozen old Homelite XL's and XL12's so I started grabbing them to get what I could running for her to sell. Started by showing my 14yr old son how to do a rebuild on carbs minus Welch plugs. Went over what is considered general maintenance on 2 smoke lawn equipment.

Then he started buying (or finding free stuff in others trash) non running equipment to play with and get more experience. Managed to get 1 leafblower he paid $5 for running really well (required a complete teardown and soaking piston in MMO to loosen ring), 2 weed trimmers that he got for free running in good shape so now he wants to sell them to get more money to buy more used equip to flip.

We've only had 1 piece that he bought we just cant figure out. It's a Ryobi leaf blower and it just wont start. He seems really interested in this stuff which I love because I've always loved working on small smokers.

He comes home the other day from doing odd jobs for my dad when he said that my dad had a real hard time getting his saw running and thinks he has the chain to tight because my dad has to go half throttle just to get the chain to turn. My father and I cut 5 cord a year for over 10yrs to heat the house so I doubt it's to tight. Told my son the next time he goes over to get the model number to see if we already have a carb kit, he replies right back it's a 2150 with a big grin. Told son to search for carb model online and check if we have a kit for it, but havent heard back yet. Gonna have my son approach my dad and see if he'd like to have him to do a carb kit, and general maintenance. For a small fee of course, which I'm sure my father will only because it's his grandson .

Back