Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any new info on a 4000 c&p upgrade kit? Thinking it would be a good excuse to get the Craftsman running and put 26-28" bar on it.

Thread pieced together from a longer one I did.

Trying to take stock in what I got as runners in the 49cc - 54cc poulans with mag cased. The tagged 49cc is sold.
Any of the others can go except for the one dad bought new in 1993.
Also think I just found a parts saw with a good 330 380 3750 3450 pulley. So may have one more left.
Now trying to figure out what I want to build next.

I thought I had 5 of those black with blue decal 54cc ones. Found the first one I ever bought of those hiding.

5 runners. The last 4 were bought for parts for the first one I bought. But all just needed minimal work to be runner again too.

Yep another good pulley. This was a 380 60cc I sold carb and topend off of. But had used a 330 recoil testing it out year back.

Betting I just found a HDA137 carb. Forgot about this 380 I never fixed. Will know for sure in a sec. could be a 164 but all 380 I have seen had 137.

Hot dang it is the better of the 2 big carbs. HDA-137

psaws54.jpgc33x5z.jpgc33x5zz.jpgppartsxxxx.jpgppartszz.jpgppartsz.jpgp330pulleyy.jpgp380hda137.jpghda137pp380.jpg

Nothing new as of today on the 4000, don't know when but until this trash19 is still going they will be on hold. I started my test one yesterday just to hear how it sounded, it was great. I'm like the rest of you and want to get it out to the people.
Honestly I would have no need for a saw with anything bigger then my 3700 with 20" bar which only gets used rarely, but think it would be fun to drag out a 40yr old saw with a +28" bar and rattle the cages of the guys with the newer tweakers (what I call these newer high rpm, low power saws). May not go toe to toe all day with them, but who wants to listen to those screeching banshees all day.

Well she is all back together and looking sweet. Now to find her a new home.
ac5c0f51acbf3e8dbe009a1df4d4546c.jpg

4715c19c0694c218b3ca5274a63f437e.jpg

498a264782b5cbc63543656dbbed882f.jpg

8a3f766d1de80d79bca56c71c9c66e62.jpg

Lawrence (Petesoldsaws) has a great Pioneer thread, and I hope to start a Poulan thread. I think there's enough of us out here who enjoy these fine specimens. So lets start a Poulan thread!!! To get things rolling, I want to talk about the 8500 countervibe. The long and the short of it is I want one. Never seen one (outside the 1986 catalogue I have), don't know who has one, or even run one. Gregg, Mark,Mike and Bob, lets get the ball rolling. (Lawrence and Jerry, we want your input too) Old Poulan owners UNITE!!!!
poulan chain saws are junk buy a good sthil chain saw

Pulled a few parts for a guys 380. Took the pulley from a 330 parts saw to put with the 380 decal shell.
Yellow 380 tank and the 137 380 carb.

Back up pulley on left I always kept with half metal missing. Still works. Better then nothing. If someone gets down to not having a choice.

2800 etc muffler set up.

p390tankcarb137.jpegppulley330.jpegp2800muffler.jpeg

poulan chain saws are junk buy a good sthil chain saw
Don't want an overpriced piece of junk that good but for long then your going to the bank to borrow money to fix cause the parts prices are sky high for Chinese made junk.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

What are you guys using for the foam gaskets? The 2 square ones should be replaced. I have some thin single sided foam with adhesive from my hard tonneau cover on my truck, but didnt know if any of you had something better.
Also went to get a custom can of aerosol paint made with sublime green from the 70's and it wouldnt come up on the mixers computer. Ended up going with the sublime green used on the new chargers/challengers. Different paint code but looks pretty good, although I think it has a little to much yellow.

No saw assembly pictures?

What brand of seals did you use, & what was the holding time & vacuum reading in “Hg after your final assembly testing?

I fixed a 3700 last week that the seals gave out in only a few seconds at 4 to 5” Hg too.

View attachment 854937
Hotshot, I used the skf seals (getting ready to order 2 more to either replace the ones in the craftsman or as spares for my Poulan.

I'm horrible for remembering to take pics of rebuilds.

As for leak testing, honestly I dont think it improved any but my blockoff gaskets could be leaking. Saw would drop fro 7psi to 5 psi in 30-40 seconds. In vacuum test results were slightly better, took roughly 40sec to go from 7 to 5 inches of mercury. Dont know if these numbers are good or junk, but it did take several pulls to get saw started. Going to see how well it starts tomorrow.
Going to put some dawn dish soap in my pressure washer tomorrow, turn the pressure to low and try to clean the saw so I can paint it. Cant find any stickers and with only 1 left on the saw I'm just gonna tape it off and paint around it. Gonna paint the exhaust a dull black as well. Won't look perfect or good by most people's standards, but it'll work for me. Reconditioned one of my grandfathers '50's Snap-on top and bottom tool boxes last winter and just took out the dents that affected the function of the drawers and did a quick clean and paint with closest colors I could find at HD.
Sorry no pics of the bottom before I did any painting.

Attachments

• 20190225_230517.jpg
    20190225_230517.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190208_194718.jpg
    20190208_194718.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20190212_220234.jpg
    20190212_220234.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Honestly I would have no need for a saw with anything bigger then my 3700 with 20" bar which only gets used rarely, but think it would be fun to drag out a 40yr old saw with a +28" bar and rattle the cages of the guys with the newer tweakers (what I call these newer high rpm, low power saws). May not go toe to toe all day with them, but who wants to listen to those screeching banshees all day.
There is only a 3 cc difference between the 3700 and 4000, 61cc vs 64cc. I wonder if anyone could tell tell the difference in performance. Esp. if you run comparable mufflers.

Latest posts

Back