Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished working on the winter suv and a guys 290 and looked at sign set back. I couldnt wait till spring to hang it. Moved some others to fit in there.
✌️

psignnz.jpg

Had a spare muffler for the 3300 and thought I'd go ahead modify it and place the pipe pointing exactly down at the plastic cover. I nailed it....
These pics are before even running it so the brown stain under the pipe was already there. You can imagine the gnarled look its gonna be after running all day. I think i have another spare actually and just put this one on the wall of shame.

Attachments

• 3300 Muff poor placement.jpg
    3300 Muff poor placement.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 3300 Muff poor placement2.jpg
    3300 Muff poor placement2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13
Picked this 2300 up a month ago for 15 bucks, no bar n chain, no handguard, and guy said it leaked fuel out the handle. Cleaned it, replaced fuel line, had a spare 16" craftsman bar/chain, had an extra hand guard, a dozen pulls later and she came to life. Idles perfect, runs out nice, and took a third of a codominant maple out that started dying. I didn't even open up the carb on this one. I may do it just to make sure its clean. Notice the pic where you can see the top of the gas cap missing centerpiece, turnt on its side full throttle and it sprayed me pretty good. Had another spare laying in a box.
Shame this model didn't have a chainbrake....at least I dont think there's versions of it with one.
2300 10_2020.jpg2300 10_2020 1.jpg2300 10_2020 2.jpg

Didn’t get to cut it myself but was outside Tuesday night working late and it was pretty windy. Wife was driving home and I heard a loud crack followed immediately by our power going out. I knew immediately it was one of the trees on our small dead end road had fallen and was likely blocking the road and took out the wire. My brother-in-law who lives next to me went to check it out since my kids were all asleep in bed. Large oak fell across the road so he ran back to his house and grabbed his brand new week old stihl 362 and cut a large section out of the tree. Hooked up his winch to it and dragged the section out of the road so people could get by.

Surprisingly the next day nothing had changed except us getting power so I did go back and clean it up some more to allow people to pass easier. Helps to have the right tools for this.

Attachments

• 916266CC-E4F1-4B5D-9D64-40A9C5507AFE.jpeg
    916266CC-E4F1-4B5D-9D64-40A9C5507AFE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 9A0E4DE0-2D1D-45E1-B184-0704F93E9A43.jpeg
    9A0E4DE0-2D1D-45E1-B184-0704F93E9A43.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 11
I welded the inside first. I need to figure out what thickness pipe folks are using. I think mine was too thick....

I have used everything from old bicycle frames to old shower curtain rods and 1/2" emt. If the metal is to thin then the welder will just blow holes right through it.

This is two pieces of 1/2 emt welded together and then welded to the muffler from the inside only. Poulan 3700.

craftsman muffmod.JPG

Picked this 2300 up a month ago for 15 bucks, no bar n chain, no handguard, and guy said it leaked fuel out the handle. Cleaned it, replaced fuel line, had a spare 16" craftsman bar/chain, had an extra hand guard, a dozen pulls later and she came to life. Idles perfect, runs out nice, and took a third of a codominant maple out that started dying. I didn't even open up the carb on this one. I may do it just to make sure its clean. Notice the pic where you can see the top of the gas cap missing centerpiece, turnt on its side full throttle and it sprayed me pretty good. Had another spare laying in a box.
Shame this model didn't have a chainbrake....at least I dont think there's versions of it with one.
View attachment 869005View attachment 869006View attachment 869007

Most of the Canadian models did come with a brake. Most of the micros up here are rebrands

DSCF3352.JPG

I had my friends poulan 2900 show up on my door step for maintenance. It has been a problem child for along time.
3 times mix in the carb throat...starts first pull. won't keep running.
Now... Fines in the mix tank. Fines in the Walbro WT pump outlet screen.
No primer bulb or return line to the tank. But what is strange to me is, there is only one line out of the tank to the carb. No stihl vent like tube with a set screw in it , no husky like tube with a foam filler, and no duck bill in the solid fuel cap. How does the tank breath while running?
Plastic fuel cap a bit snug in the threads but he swears no E-10mix to swell the cap.
The carb has the blue mylar type pump diaphragm. When dry may not be sealing on the body? I guess do a dry pressure/vac test? Then squirt some mix in the inlet and repeat.
Thanks for listening to me vent after all the damn tank won't.

I would believe it has a vent, maybe near the bar clamp that has a brass sintered cap over a duck bill valve like some. But I don't know much about the 2900. Haven't been around that particular model.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I would believe it has a vent, maybe near the bar clamp that has a brass sintered cap over a duck bill valve like some. But I don't know much about the 2900. Haven't been around that particular model.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Never seen a 2900 either. Four different types or revisions for it.

IPL shows the duckbill vent & cover plug on the left side, by the fuel cap.

Never seen one either.
IPL shows the duckbill vent & cover plug on the left side, by the fuel cap.
This is a type1 saw... from the IPL
23. 530026119 Check Valve
24. 530029868 Vent Plug sintered bronze
These are in front of the fly wheel and is just to the rear and slightly above the oil plug. It's under the pull start cover I just found it.
No other check valves listed on engine page.
I think I'm gona put my vac pump on the line to the tank and see what kind of vac it will pull

ADDED: I could pull 10" HG, then it would very slowly creep back to zero. The designers must expect the partial pressure of warm fuel to prevent a vacuum and allows the enough fuel to flow and run?

Found what? LOL If I vacuum pump with the fuel tank cap off, I can hear the pump noise pulling through the filter. With the gas cap on,the whole tank pulls a vacuum.
I have not found a fuel tank breather/vent yet and the IPL does not list one.

Back