No chainsaw protective jackets; use a motorcycle safety jacket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kickback only happens if you let it.....watch what you are doing closely and keep the tip away from places that will cause kickback. Use wedges or even small sticks and thick pieces of bark to keep the kerf from closing on the saw. Plan your cuts accordingly so things don't move unexpectedly. Of the jackets I have owned and used the blue denim one is the better choice. Thats the one I have worn for quite some time while the others just sit...

I am well aware of the reason for kick back. When cutting larger logs I do not know how to avoid completely of any possible problems. Yes I have over fifty years of experience so what accidents are not often planned. I am not much concerned about cutting little 12'' limbs, but when you have the throttle pinned in a log and a shift or some obstruction things can happen. I have used MX gear because not sure what else is out there. My plan is too work with some chaps. Thanks

A saw will go through a motorcycle jacket even with Kevlar plates in it like it was a pair of jeans.
Left side injuries are for the most part caused by holding a top handle saw in the right hand and trying to hold the branch with the left. If the branch swings hard or the branch is to heavy it can cause your arm to hit the moving chain. Also, some try to cut with the right hand while reaching over the top of the bar to hold the branch. If the branch is heavy it will pull your arm right down onto the chain.
As to protective jackets, I use this
https://www.kingsbridgesupply.com/swede-pro-denim-safety-shirtHas the same protective padding as chaps in all the right places.
Outstanding. I don't know what I was doing with my searches, but I wasn't pulling up anything at a reasonable price.

I’ve shredded good quality black motorcycle jackets in one crash. I walked away from. Broken ribs sore arm shoulder only. If I didn’t have that jacket on I have no clue what would of happened, I have Kevlar protective gloves full arms length but I never used them. I wear a carhert work jacket layered in cold weather. In warm weather it’s my Tennessee tuxedo jeans, hillbilly Jim jeans. Never gave a ballistic jacket much thought.

Kickback only happens if you let it.....watch what you are doing closely and keep the tip away from places that will cause kickback. Use wedges or even small sticks and thick pieces of bark to keep the kerf from closing on the saw. Plan your cuts accordingly so things don't move unexpectedly. Of the jackets I have owned and used the blue denim one is the better choice. Thats the one I have worn for quite some time while the others just sit...

It depends on what size cc saw your running and the position your running it. I’ve seen it happen unexpectedly. I never expected that 2100/100 cc to kick back that hard. I’m 300# at that time and when the bucking slot closed up on the bar at the bottom of the cut out the saw came. No brake. I should of wedged the top once the saw was halfway down the 22” log.

I go by the saying in riding, "all gear all the time." I dont imagine saws are much different. Safe techniques first, but like your day bucking Huskybill, stuff happens you would never expect or plan on.

Reminder, Don’t forget don’t cut above are shoulders are strength is far less.

Does baileys offer a ballistic Kevlar type jacket?

I purchased my two sons all the protective gear but jackets.

I find it odd that people start worrying about safety when cutting big stuff. I had a 30" round roll up on my foot once but all my other injuries (all minor, never cut myself with a chain) and close calls came when cutting 8" and under limbs and logs.

Now when it comes to Kevlar it has properties that deflect and distribute a blunt force, but are not designed to resist cutting. It might hold up against a grazing blow with a spinning chain but would definitely not jam up and stop a chain like chainsaw chaps do. So it may be better than nothing, but I wouldn't spend money on it for this use.

Now when it comes to Kevlar it has properties that deflect and distribute a blunt force, but are not designed to resist cutting. It might hold up against a grazing blow with a spinning chain but would definitely not jam up and stop a chain like chainsaw chaps do. So it may be better than nothing, but I wouldn't spend money on it for this use.
Are you talking laminates?

Kevlar fibers are highly cut resistant and are used in a lot of chainsaw protective products.

Philbert

Are you talking laminates?

Kevlar fibers are highly cut resistant and are used in a lot of chainsaw protective products.

Philbert
I am not a Kevlar expert but I have some experience with Kevlar reinforced drive belts, Kevlar pads in motorcycle jackets, Kevlar bullet proof vest inserts, and even a Kevlar head on my golf club. It is tough stuff especially when used to keep things from stretching. But in my experience it can be cut with a razor knife, filed down with sandpaper, and even penetrated by a hard jacketed bullet fired from a high powered rifle. That's right, even a bullet proof vest will fail if you shoot it with enough power!

Now I have not tested a Kevlar pad from a motorcycle jacket with a chainsaw, not do I have one on hand to try. But I do think that if I took a freshly sharpened chainsaw and powered into a Kevlar pad from a motorcycle jacket, I would penetrate enough to cause serious injury before the Kevlar stopped the chain. But it is likely that if you slipped and released the throttle immediately the chain would only cause abrasive damage to the Kevlar like a case of road rash it was designed to prevent. But that is only my guess based on previous experience and I don't recommend trying it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chainsaw protective gear works by jamming up, and stalling out, the saw in a fraction of a second; not by being cut-resistant.

Some of the applications you mention are Kevlar fibers embedded in epoxy (or other) resin, forming a composite or laminate, which performs differently. Kevlar fibers themselves are more cut-resistant than many others, and have a tensile strength many times that of steel, for the same weight. Other fibers are used too.

Lots of videos showing this on YouTube. E.g.:

Philbert

That is kinda want I was saying. If Kevlar is formed into a fiber like a chainsaw chap uses it may be able to stop a chainsaw. But in the form used in a motorcycle jacket it would possibly deflect a glancing blow with a chainsaw chain but I have doubts about it taking a full power cut.

I’ve shredded good quality black motorcycle jackets in one crash. I walked away from. Broken ribs sore arm shoulder only. If I didn’t have that jacket on I have no clue what would of happened, I have Kevlar protective gloves full arms length but I never used them. I wear a carhert work jacket layered in cold weather. In warm weather it’s my Tennessee tuxedo jeans, hillbilly Jim jeans. Never gave a ballistic jacket much thought.

I used to ride a lot in winter and wore a heavy down jacket to keep me warm. I was riding through a residential area at about 40 mph and lowsided the bike after a big dog chasing another dog ran right out in front of me. It's one of those things that happens so fast you can't react in time. I hit the dog and shredded my down jacket on the pavement and made a big cloud of feathers that impressed the kids who came running up - "are you hurt mister?"

I saw a video that I believe was posted on this site. The guy was cutting horizontally at about chest height. I think the bar tip touched a fence. I’m pretty sure the chain was stopped before the bar broke his humerus. Wish I hadn’t watched it but glad I did especially cleaning up around fence rows.

I saw a video that I believe was posted on this site. The guy was cutting horizontally at about chest height. I think the bar tip touched a fence. I’m pretty sure the chain was stopped before the bar broke his humerus. Wish I hadn’t watched it but glad I did especially cleaning up around fence rows.
This one?

He would need a protective neck gaiter!

Philbert

Even if the chain isn’t moving when the bar hits you in a kickback there is the likelihood of a severe injury. The Kevlar fiber is to bind up a running chain, not protect against injury of being struck by the bar during kickback.

Even if the chain isn’t moving when the bar hits you in a kickback there is the likelihood of a severe injury. The Kevlar fiber is to bind up a running chain, not protect against injury of being struck by the bar during kickback.
The dope in the video seemed to have a bit of a laceration. Proper protective gear wold have prevented that.
Whats worse, getting a bit of a whack (maybe) by a bar with a chain that isn't moving or a saw with the chain moving at full speed? One might give you a bit of a cut or a bruising, the other could kill you.... The padding in the shirt does provide some impact protection as its rather thick and the non-moving chain is not likely to penetrate enough to cut the skin.
Proper training goes a long way to preventing saw injuries too. Poor saw handling techniques can get you hurt regardless of what PPE is used. Kickback can't be prevented 100% but if you know how to use a saw properly it can be significantly reduced, as can the possibility of being hurt by a kickback event.

Back