No equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
3rd day on the job. I just got sent to safety prune these monster cottonwood. Massive branches over a house. I have one 12 strand short rope. No bullrope pulleys, slings, porta wraps, etc.
I want to make a good impression, but I'm not going to distroy a house or kill a groundsmen(depends on the groundsmen) for lack of a rope. It's a 20,000 dollar job. I can old school it with a few ropes. But come on. I just finish a big trim job and it came out great.(Got a 40.00 tip.)
He told me he doesnt want to be bothered with stuff . Just do the jobs. Of course im bothering him.
Im not one to be intimidated if im in the right. Rest the crew is looking at me like am crazy. Being the humble climber I am(lol) am I wrong? They tell me their other climber used that short piece of 1/2 rope for removals. I need the job, but is it worth life and peoperty.?

It could be done over time with that rope granted but its Ridiculous . That just one branch. There are 4 trees. Ones a large leader over the house is a removal of the whole tree.
In his defence he called, i can order what ever I fell we need to complete the job. He said he's had so many flakes lately who have stoled him blind he's leery. I apologize for assuming he's a flake.20170928_152636.jpg

Seriously Beast, looks sorta knarly is there a good crotch above and away to swing anything ? Dern stinkin ass cottonwoods lol

We don't have cottonwood like these in Cali. I'm learning to dislike them. They get huge here. Cottonwood and Siberian elms seem to be the main trees out here. Yuck.

No good lowering points. I'm going to tie off my self off somewhere safe and climb out and half hitch pieces off its self. You wouldn't beleave this elm over the house I have to remove. You can grab chunks of trunk in your hand its so pulpy. A young couple and baby live there. I told them its best if their not in the house while im removing it. A crane would be nice.

I just left Vermeer. There inventory was like 1975. I got a 3 strand 5/8 bull rope. They had no blocks, one small portawrap.
Im working two weeks here. They want me full time, but i haven't made up my mind yet. Colorado calls out to me ,but my wife likes it here.

I just left Vermeer. There inventory was like 1975. I got a 3 strand 5/8 bull rope. They had no blocks, one small portawrap.
Im working two weeks here. They want me full time, but i haven't made up my mind yet. Colorado calls out to me ,but my wife likes it here.
You know what they say "happy wife happy life I'm still not convinced its always true though ": :p

So they bring in this this little mexican guy to help. I'm up in a cottonwood, he starts removing this big leader over house. He almost runs up the tree. No rope or lanyard. He uses that old 1/2 inch rope with a beat up clip and takes some 2000 lb prices almost hits the house twice. That being said, one of the greatest natural climbers I've ever seen. It would of took me 4 or 5 hours. He had it done in 2 1/2. With some training in safety, that guy could be fantastic.
Notice, he's not tied in at all.20170929_155850.jpg

So they bring in this this little mexican guy to help. I'm up in a cottonwood, he starts removing this big leader over house. He almost runs up the tree. No rope or lanyard. He uses that old 1/2 inch rope with a beat up clip and takes some 2000 lb prices almost hits the house twice. That being said, one of the greatest natural climbers I've ever seen. It would of took me 4 or 5 hours. He had it done in 2 1/2. With some training in safety, that guy could be fantastic.
Notice, he's not tied in at all.View attachment 604442

How does that make you feel?
Jeff :)

Notice, he's not tied in at all.View attachment 604442
Now I see what I'm doing wrong :omg:.

Latest posts

Back