No fire??? Ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finished putting my 394XP back together... After a small woodsport jobby. Now, and I don't know how, I don't have any fire to the plug for some reason. Not even sure where else to start looking to figure this one out... Has good compression, flooded so that's all working... Buttt, can't seem to figure out why there's not fire?? Any ideas??? Thanks guys

:popcorn:

Is the switch connected? Wiring for switch open anywhere? Switch test good with a ohmeter? If you pulled the flywheel, is the coil/flywheel gap correct? Got a extra coil to try?

Pull the little wire off the coil. It should spark. If your not using a spark tester make sure your plug is ok,( ie. try another)

things...

I didn't pull the flywheel off at all, I did however remove the coil to clean and whatnot. I'll have to see if I can find the gap info on that. The killswitch wire from the coil to the switch is like brand new, so I'm pretty sure it's not grounding out. I did pull the wire off the kill switch, put a new plug on it and pull it over just sitting on top of the jug, but no fire there either. I'll check the switch with an ohmeter and see what I can find, and see if I can test the coil somehow... I'm pretty sure the coil isn't bad, it worked like a champ before I pulled it apart, I'll just have to figure out what I'm missing...

If you pull the small wire off @ the coil it eliminates the wire and the switch as being the problem. Set the gap with 3-4 sheets of news paper and line up the flywheel magnets with the coil so it pulls the coil tight with the news paper between them.Tighten the screws. If the mounting pads on the case and the adjoining spots on the coil are shined up and still no spark with a know good plug or spark tester, then you either has a bad plug wire or bad coil. You have the spin the engine pretty fast to get a good spark. I hope this helps you.

Are you sure you didnt pinch the switch wire under the starter cover when you put it back together?

I didn't pull the flywheel off at all, I did however remove the coil to clean and whatnot. I'll have to see if I can find the gap info on that. The killswitch wire from the coil to the switch is like brand new, so I'm pretty sure it's not grounding out. I did pull the wire off the kill switch, put a new plug on it and pull it over just sitting on top of the jug, but no fire there either. I'll check the switch with an ohmeter and see what I can find, and see if I can test the coil somehow... I'm pretty sure the coil isn't bad, it worked like a champ before I pulled it apart, I'll just have to figure out what I'm missing...

To test the switch with a DVM, the switch should be open one way and read resistance the other.

Edit: I missed Albert's post..........

Last edited:

air gap is 0.012"

Got it!!!!

WooooooooHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!!! That was it. Bought a set of feeler guages and mic'ed it to .012. ZOOOooooooooommmmmmmm!!!!!! Away she fired. Fired right up no problems. Yet another one.... I'll have to get a vid tomorrow. Wife was about to kill me when I had it in the basement running... hehehehehehe After the porting and polishing I'm antsy to see how it cuts... Sucker was in bad shape. Has anyone ever heard of Husky putting the wrong rings in a pkg??? The rings I ordered came, I went to put'em in and they were wrong. Any other ideas?? Dealer said that it could happen. Oh well, hell of a job to get it apart and back together though on those 394's. The 288 is much much easier to work on...

I owe you guys AGAIN!!!!!!!!! BIGTIME!!!!!

:clap: :cheers: eh?

Back