• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold No longer available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can someone take me to 288xp school? Whats the difference between the 288 and say a 385? I see some differences just from pictures. Looks heavy, but I like old heavy saws!!

Thanks in advance!!

So can someone take me to 288xp school? Whats the difference between the 288 and say a 385? I see some differences just from pictures. Looks heavy, but I like old heavy saws!!

Thanks in advance!!

Time to do some research! I would say the 281/288 paved the way for the 385/390! Of course the newer saws have upgrades from there predecessors. But they are both great saws. You can make a 288 feel like a more modern saw by adjusting the av system on them. You just gotta remember that there is a reason why we are here drooling over these saws, instead of a 385!

Thanks Toad, I did some research found out basically what you were saying. I learned also the steel cases are actually not steel, they are white metal, magnesium?? At least that's what my friend said.

Saws look awesome for the age, got the wheels turning! Sorry to de rail, GLWS!!!!!

Thanks Toad, I did some research found out basically what you were saying. I learned also the steel cases are actually not steel, they are white metal, magnesium?? At least that's what my friend said.

Saws look awesome for the age, got the wheels turning! Sorry to de rail, GLWS!!!!!

Modern pro saws also have magnesium cases also. The 288 and 385 shouldn't be to far away from each for weight either. 385@15lbs with 84.7cc's and 288 @16lbs with 87cc's.

Would the 288 be good for milling [I'm just starting]? Also what would be the longest bar it would handle successfully? Thanks t

Would the 288 be good for milling [I'm just starting]? Also what would be the longest bar it would handle successfully? Thanks t
Working in the woods, I used to run a 288. It would successfully handle a 36" bar.
However, I ran a 34" most of the time ( better balance for me and my back)
Milling is a little different though, I'm sure one of the people on here would know....

Back