• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold no longer available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you bought a used 590 off craigslist that had carbide chain on it now you want to trade it for a new saw. Sounds to me like someone thought they could run a chain without sharpening it
Not sure what exactly you mean, I bought it with the chain, he wanted me to follow him back to his house so he can give me the oregon chain but I said just give me that one since I knew from using a Stihl pole saw how good their chains are. The chain is sharp as hell, I ran it through a 18'' diameter oak piece of log I had in seconds. Just looking for a 45 that better suits my needs and experience level but ill be happy to keep it either way.

Holy Shi$ am I seeing you guys run in a circle chasing your tales?? Lmao
Ok what he means by why would anyone put carbide chain on there saw is this....

9A diamond wheel has to be used to sharpen carbide cutters. Stihl sells a diamond wheel for the USG grinder, and diamond wheels are available for other grinders. Unless you use carbide chain a lot, it is cheaper to send them away to have them sharpened. I think it cost me about $25.00 to have mine sharpened. The wheels are over $150.00. (I copied that from a previous discussion on these chains).
PS stop being so defensive in here, we are here to help not argue.

20 in. Oregon is $17-$20 for that saw. So you do the math. You are not sharpening that chain yourself. So its not cost effective to have that chain. If the previous owner wanted to waste his money (which looks like he did) on that chain, thats fine, but that chain is usually used for stumping (in dirt) roof venting(for fire dept) and other ruff stuff, by the looks of that saw it wasnt used for any of that besides the person being sold on the carbide.

Holy Shi$ am I seen you guys run in a circle chasing your tales?? Lmao
Ok what he means by why would anyone put carbide chain on there saw is this....

9A diamond wheel has to be used to sharpen carbide cutters. Stihl sells a diamond wheel for the USG grinder, and diamond wheels are available for other grinders. Unless you use carbide chain a lot, it is cheaper to send them away to have them sharpened. I think it cost me about $25.00 to have mine sharpened. The wheels are over $150.00. (I copied that from a previous discussion on these chains).
PS stop being so defensive in here, we are here to help not argue.

20 in. Oregon is $17-$20 for that saw. So you do the math. You are not sharpening that chain yourself. So its not cost effective to have that chain. If the previous owner wanted to waste his money (which looks like he did) on that chain, thats fine, but that chain is usually used for stumping (in dirt) roof venting(for fire dept) and other ruff stuff, that by the looks of that saw it wasnt used for any of that besides the person being sold on the carbide.

This man is speaking sense right here.

I now know what it means to have a carbide blade and what it cost to sharpen it, whenever it needs it ill just have to pay to get it done. I appreciate the comments and no way was I being defensive, just confused.

I now know what it means to have a carbide blade and what it cost to sharpen it, whenever it needs it ill just have to pay to get it done. I appreciate the comments and no way was I being defensive, just confused.
Nick,
You'll learn a lot here, sometimes better to stand at the edge and watch before you dive in and make waves I guess. But it's all good, keep up reading and asking questions and before you know it, you'll think the 590 is a toy and want a ms880.

Nick,
You'll learn a lot here, sometimes better to stand at the edge and watch before you dive in and make waves I guess. But it's all good, keep up reading and asking questions and before you know it, you'll think the 590 is a toy and want a ms880.
I have been eyeing some of the really cheap 281/288 saws that have been up lately. After having one firewood related injury this week my wife would kill me if I got an even bigger chainsaw lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been eyeing some of the really cheap 281/288 saws that have been up lately. After having one firewood related injury this week my wife would kill me if I got an even bigger chainsaw lol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
She probably would, lol hopefully that's you last or at least the worst besides a nice splitter.

lol, I know I have CAD now when I want to fix up an old poulan 2150 I have sitting around just to add it to my collection.

Latest posts

Back