No Mississippi Pine Harvest Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeTrappe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a hundred or so acres in Jefferson Davis County Mississippi. One tract I'm looking at has 80% 6 year old pine plantation and about 15% 12 year old pine plantation. Has oaks and other trees in some low bottom areas. I've never owned pine plantation before, but I do know that a lot determines the health of a stand of pine, such as bugs, weather (wet/dry) seasons, and so on. Assuming a healthy stand of relatively straight pine, has anyone within the last couple of years, sold their trees? What kind of return have y'all seen on 18-20 year old pine? How does thinning work? The trees are not planted in rows, so to maximize the health of the plantation, I'm sure they'll have to be thinned a couple of times. Do you get paid from thinning? I'll be hunting the property with my son, so 100 acres or so should be plenty enough. I've spoken to a forestry consultant, but he works mostly in north and central Louisiana.

first find a forester in your area. They can tell you more then any internet "guru" me included.

as a rule though the first thinning is an out of pocket expense, also why it rarely gets done when its needed. Trees are just to small to be worth anything.

a second or if needed a third thinning should be a break even or even make some money on it.

the real money is going to be then final clear cut.

Other then that, I've heard the Pine market out there is real up and down, especially pulp. So good luck to ya.

Keep in mind that calling 100 acres a "pine plantation" is much like calling a window box a farm. Economies of scale is everything in modern logging. Just be realistic in your expectations, and your hunting ground may come close to justifying itself. Expect it to put your son through college, and you might be dissapointed.

Latest posts

Back