No more Permatex Motoseal for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jughead500

Sasquatch
Reaction score
I sealed the cylinder on my uncles 266xp a while back.figured i would try bumping up the compression without using the base gasket.i used moto seal but didn't like how runny it was.i bought it to seal the clamshells on my 025's with originally.well i had to take the cylinder back off to fiddle with the carb.when i lifted the cylinder it wasnt stuck.i figured i would have to scrape all of the motoseal back off.Well there wasn't any to scrape.every single ounce of it squished out into the bottom end,up around the cylinder bolts and on top of the outside of the case.i even let everything set for 5 minutes before assembly.

I sealed the cylinder on my uncles 266xp a while back.figured i would try bumping up the compression without using the base gasket.i used moto seal but didn't like how runny it was.i bought it to seal the clamshells on my 025's with originally.well i had to take the cylinder back off to fiddle with the carb.when i lifted the cylinder it wasnt stuck.i figured i would have to scrape all of the motoseal back off.Well there wasn't any to scrape.every single ounce of it squished out into the bottom end,up around the cylinder bolts and on top of the outside of the case.i even let everything set for 5 minutes before assembly.

Try Yamabond if you're close to a Yamaha dealer, Hondabond if close to a Honda dealer, or Threebond 1184. If you can't find it locally, one or more of the site sponsors carries Threebond 1184, and you can always try the 'net.

My tube of Yamabond is "in a safe place":msp_confused: so I ordered Threebond 1184 from one of the site sponsors. It seems a bit more runny than the Yamabond that I bought about 10 years ago, but works well.

I bought a tube of motoseal since the local auto parts store had it. I've never used a gasket since. I seal all my saws with it after I check the squish. No problems so far.
A tube lasts forever too.

I used it more or less to the directions.didnt over do the amount just a thin coat on both surfaces.with this tube its not much more than 30 weight oil.maybe all the good stuff settled to the bottom of the tube?

I degrease the case and cylinder then wipe on a thin amount on both surfaces. The mating surfaces are both flat - all the sealant does is fill the imperfections. You only need a tiny bit. Regardless if the product used is runny or thick it is going to squeeze out so don't use too much. When I have pulled jugs off done with motoseal they are stuck on like cement put there is only a tiny residue on the sealing surfaces. I actually like that it is runny because it keeps me from gobbing it on.

I degrease the case and cylinder then wipe on a thin amount on both surfaces. The mating surfaces are both flat - all the sealant does is fill the imperfections. You only need a tiny bit. Regardless if the product used is runny or thick it is going to squeeze out so don't use too much. When I have pulled jugs off done with motoseal they are stuck on like cement put there is only a tiny residue on the sealing surfaces. I actually like that it is runny because it keeps me from gobbing it on.

You sound like a fun date!!!!!

I just dab on some Indian Head Gasket Shellac.......

I scraped forever trying to get that stuff off when replacing a water pump one time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that is backup insurance for most of the "techs" here.........

At least no leaks there!!!!!!

But if anyone has a failure, they can always look back and find a culprit!!!!!!

BTW, I am a new National Indian Head supplier, they are for sale in the lobby!!!!!!!

hmm maybe this tube is alright??? i tore one of the ms250 assemblies apart that i put together before the 266xp/268 of my uncles.i had to pry the clam shell of and the crank too where i glued the seals in.lol i made sure that i degreased the 266 before i smeared everything down with the motoseal.dont get me wrong i've used suzuki bond for close to 20 years on my old suzuki two strokes but it never seemed this runny.oh well.mybe ill try some of this versa chem lion gasket shellac.lol

Back