No more Permatex Motoseal for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sayin its the best ,but this is what I use.

I use that Aviation Forma Gasket alot on big equipment, but it's just too darn nasty for me on saws! I only like using it in places that I can clean up with a polishing disc on a 90* die grinder! It will work though.

MotoSeal Ultra Grey certainly has its place and can be used many ways. Applied to both surfaces and smoothed to set for 1 minute prior to assembly it dries in 20 minutes. Good stuff, but needs to be used correctly. Solvent based. I rely on it it for certain applications -- McCulloch 10 series fuel tank seams immediately come to mind. LOL.

Many people think DirkoHT Red is a Stihl product and reject it out of hand as Stihl haters. It is actually made by another European company called Elring and has been used in the Euro auto industry for years. Exceptionally suited to high temp fuel resistant saw applications. Much more forgiving than MotoSeal during application and disassembly. Superior to most of the other similar products in my opinion. Silicon based. My preference.

Three Bond 1184 is essentially the main (insert whatever **** Bond here) product of this family of sealant/gasket makers. Fine, high quality product used by many. Also solvent based. It's my Dirko backup for base gasket deletes and sealing clamshells. Application can be a little sloppy, but the end result is a dependable seal.

Loctite 515 is an aerobic sealer and needs to be used the right way for the right application. Surface prep and component conditions often determine the success of the application as it basically remains a liquid until the absence of air -- which then allows it to 'set' as a semi-flexible sealant. May or may not be a long term solution depending on any number of variables. I've read of disappointing results with 515. No reason to chance failure (unless experienced using it or it's all you have) when the other products are readily available and proven to be dependable solutions..., at least IMHO.

And finally, bear in mind Permatex makes several 'MotoSeal' products. Ultra Grey 29132 is the one to use. Using a different version may not yield the desired results for typical chainsaw applications.

MotoSeal Ultra Grey certainly has its place and can be used many ways. Applied to both surfaces and smoothed to set for 1 minute prior to assembly it dries in 20 minutes. Good stuff, but needs to be used correctly. Solvent based. I rely on it it for certain applications -- McCulloch 10 series fuel tank seams immediately come to mind. LOL.

Many people think DirkoHT Red is a Stihl product and reject it out of hand as Stihl haters. It is actually made by another European company called Elring and has been used in the Euro auto industry for years. Exceptionally suited to high temp fuel resistant saw applications. Much more forgiving than MotoSeal during application and disassembly. Superior to most of the other similar products in my opinion. Silicon based. My preference.

Three Bond 1184 is essentially the main (insert whatever **** Bond here) product of this family of sealant/gasket makers. Fine, high quality product used by many. Also solvent based. It's my Dirko backup for base gasket deletes and sealing clamshells. Application can be a little sloppy, but the end result is a dependable seal.

Loctite 515 is an aerobic sealer and needs to be used the right way for the right application. Surface prep and component conditions often determine the success of the application as it basically remains a liquid until the absence of air -- which then allows it to 'set' as a semi-flexible sealant. May or may not be a long term solution depending on any number of variables. I've read of disappointing results with 515. No reason to chance failure (unless experienced using it or it's all you have) when the other products are readily available and proven to be dependable solutions..., at least IMHO.

And finally, bear in mind Permatex makes several 'MotoSeal' products. Ultra Grey 29132 is the one to use. Using a different version may not yield the desired results for typical chainsaw applications.
My response is from personal experience. No issues. Plenty of my ported saws out there running just fine.

"didn't say it doesn't" oooookay sure you didn't.

Real world experience > speculation. Sorry.

Back