No spark 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pagie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 088 has not been used for a few months. Was working fine. Today it has no spark. I changed the plug to another that was working in another saw. Still no spark. I looked at the magneto and it looked ok, that is no loose wires or burn marks. What can I look at next? I have not been cutting wood this summer so today I started all my saws up and gave them a run and new fuel and bar oil. But this one was not going to play.

How do I check the on off switch?

The switch grounds the coil out. Check the short circuit wire from coil to ground using an ohm meter when in the run position. If it's grounded and the switch is not at fault, follow the wire back to the coil for shorts to ground

As well check your coil wire well for shorts and the connector inside the boot to the plug

It seems harder to see a visible spark these days. Try again, pull the rope real fast, make sure the side of the plug is well grounded against the block, do so in a dark room.

I'll bet that your spark is just fine.

It seems harder to see a visible spark these days. Try again, pull the rope real fast, make sure the side of the plug is well grounded against the block, do so in a dark room.

I'll bet that your spark is just fine.

OR........

This is somewhat dangerous and not recommended! Try at your own risk!!!

You can get someone to touch the plug and touch the cylinder when you pull the recoil. OWWCCHHH!!!!! if you have spark

Only use one hand, finger on plug thumb to cylinder, current only goes through hand. If the spark travels up you arm through your chest it can stop your ticker/heart

Have you checked the wiring from the switch to the coil yet? I know not everyone has access to an Ohm meter or continuity tester but that is really the only way to test the ignition kill switch system without parts swapping.

Ive seen the wires get worn from rubbing on things around the carburetor. The plug wire could have worn through somewhere as well.

Have you checked the wiring from the switch to the coil yet? I know not everyone has access to an Ohm meter or continuity tester but that is really the only way to test the ignition kill switch system without parts swapping.

Ive seen the wires get worn from rubbing on things around the carburetor. The plug wire could have worn through somewhere as well.

Yes either wire can get pinched , especially between tank housing and engine if not routed well or if AV buffers get worn out

Before ordering a coil, take a good look at the flywheel: if the poles are blue, that's your problem, not the ignition module/coil.

Your best bet not to spend a fortune on that coil would be to have it shipped from the US: even with shipping you will probably come out ahead.

Thanks everyone, I will check the wiring tomorrow in the daylight. What do you mean Conquistador3, Blue poles?

This is how a healthy magnet will look on a Stihl flywheel:

i-s9Z3j27-L.jpg

If it took a blueish color, kinda like a chromed exhaust after a few years too many of intense use, the magnet is toast, and since it cannot be swapped out the flywheel is toast as well.

Latest posts

Back