No spark on craftsman wood chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearNick

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently refurbished an old craftsman wood chipper and it was working just fine. Went out to use it the other day, no spark. Plug, still no spark. Took covers off, trying to determine if I have a bad coil. Anyone know an easy way to test the coil without just replacing it? Or anyone know how to source a replacement coil? Would I have to get one with the spark wire attached or can I remove / reuse my old plug wire?

Pics attached below.

I should share that in my attempts to roll the flywheel by hand yesterday I got caught with my index finger between the flywheel and the coil. That cost me some skin and about a quart of blood...

Thanks!
Nick

2020-05-17 17.04.37.jpg
2020-05-17 17.04.42.jpg

2020-05-17 17.22.46.jpg

I start out by cleaning all the rust off teh existing coil, specially the ends that gap teh flywheel,,, also polish teh flywheel magnets...Readjust teh gap to BS specs for that engine,,, or use a business card...

Thx! Any tips on polishing the magnet?
i use a da sander on the magnet / flywheels for a good smooth clean finish.
and use masking tape or air wand to clean off the left over magnetic dust...
and wipe it with brake cleaner on a rag.
a bit of engine oil will help keep it rust free.

the rust makes a big difference in the spark!!
you get rid of it and then the spark voltage is way higher!!

if this is an older motor like from the 1970's or older it may have breaker points under the flywheel.
just an fyi..
but if it states "solid state ignition" then it does not have points.

Latest posts

Back