No start 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We always go back to the same issue, about the correct way to remove a flywheel or clutch. And the folks that never have any problems at all are the guys that use an impact wrench/impact driver, yet the piston block/rope guys usually fark up the saw. And they guys that told them how to fark up their saw, just skip away merrily.
You forgot bending the connecting rods on the little MS170 and their ilk. Piston stops of any kind put a lot of strain on the con rods.

I've had saws with clutches the impact wrench just wouldn't shift (maybe I need a bigger one). I've also seen cranks I suspect failed due to the last guy being heavy handed with the impact wrench
You aren’t supposed to tighten with an impact. Just loosen. And the operator has to be smarter than the clutch and remember it’s left hand thread.
I have taken 100’s off with an impact never used rope. Never broke a crank messed up a piston. I have made several clutch tools for the impact when there isn’t the handy 6 sided nut cast in the clutch.

I guess both can do damage. And both can work.
How is that possible?
Anyone knows, his way is the best.

Coworker brought me his 044 that will not start after some work he did. He removed the clutch to try to fix the oil pump. He used the old rope down the spark plug hole as a piston stop trick but unfortunately the rope went out the exhaust port and when removing the clutch the piston wedged so tight on the rope that he couldn't get it loose again. He gave up and took to local small engine repair shop and the guy swapped a junk flywheel on to crank on to get it loose. Original flywheel re-installed but now won't start. Video shows exhaust port filled with a bit of oil and the leakage that occurs as I rotate through the compression stroke. I'm thinking damaged cylinder and or piston. I've successfully used Meteor pistons before, how is the quality of the Meteor cylinder/piston set?

Try this method

1 starting the saw.png

Buddy of mine at work got his hands on a real nice Partner 70cc this summer for next to nothing, put a carb kit in it and got it running. He'd bring it with on jobs sometimes cuz it was a solid old tank and sounded real nice. It came with .404 on a 25" bar and when he finally ran out of tooth, decided to swap it over to 3/8 because we had about a mile and a half of it in the shop. It had an outboard clutch, so one day after work, "Here" i says "this is a piston stop, to help you remove your clutch" It was for a stihl 362 or something, and so he pulled the spark plug, popped it in there, got a wrench on the clutch and pulled clockwise and that plastic piston stop went CRUNCH! and ya shoulda seen the look he gave me. Several beers later, we finally got the chunk of plastic out of the cylinder, and I think he ordered some .404 from down south.

Latest posts

Back