Noise from clutch when chain brake is engaged

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty MacG

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently bought a Timber pro 62 cc saw pro series. Bought it as an affordable saw to work with until I can get a hold of a nice husky... It was running spot on, nice bit of power and cutting well.. until this evening, there was a sound of metal grinding and saw stopped. Tried to restart and fly wheel would not budge. Took the saw home pulled the cord and the flywheel turned. So I removed the casing to inspect and saw that there are marks on the flywheel like it was catching something, around the edge of flywheel. there is nothing there to catch on it but I think there must have been and it fell out. Anyway, I restarted and saw fired up , warmed it up and ran it at full revs, no problems at all... until i hit the chain break, and then there was a kinda grinding noise coming from clutch area... It stopped when chain brake was released and chain running, and started making it again when brake applied.
My feeling is that something stopped the flywheel suddenly, something metal was in there judging from the marks, and this caused the problem im having now.
I f anybody could help me identify how or why this noise is happening I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks a mil From the emerald isle

If you are happy with that Timber "pro" you'll certainly have an ear to ear grin with a good saw.

If it's new, I'd return it for another.

yea tell me about it! Using the companies saws when in work, bought this to get my own work done on the side, looking forward to owning a proper saw, ill get there! If its something I can sort myself I will, dont want to have to send it off n wait for it to be returned, or yea maybe just get a good saw.......

I would have bought one of those if I had money to blow. Other wise used saws can be had for the same price and they are a lot better quality. I'm sure you can find a used 60cc husky or 50cc husky in the 250 dollar range. Reliable tools are worth the extra cost. Just my oppinion.

used saws can be better quality, can also blow in a week... people here dont tend to let go of good saws...

Sounds like a chain brake issue or a clutch issue. Look for over heated marks on the outer part of the clutch.

Maybe a lose motor mount causing the engine to shift when the chain brake is applied. Check all the bolts to make sure they are tight. There's not much quality control on those saws.

I took a chance on an 028 for 85 dollars on eBay. It was supposed to maybe be running. Either way for cheaper than a timber pro I could rebuild it and have a decent used saw. I'm doing most of my cutting with it in the same shape I received it in. I gave it a muffler mod but that's it. There's a lot of quality saws out there and even after they are used for years are still pretty nice. It's about the original build quality that determines the saws life.

I tend to believe this is a false statemnt. This is a great Community with a lot of honest people.
I don't think he meant here on arb site, here in Ireland it's hard to get good second hand saw, there stupidly priced, for example a 084 for sale locally for €1200 while I can get a new 880 for €1450

Hi guys, I recently bought a Timber pro 62 cc saw pro series. Bought it as an affordable saw to work with until I can get a hold of a nice husky... It was running spot on, nice bit of power and cutting well.. until this evening, there was a sound of metal grinding and saw stopped. Tried to restart and fly wheel would not budge. Took the saw home pulled the cord and the flywheel turned. So I removed the casing to inspect and saw that there are marks on the flywheel like it was catching something, around the edge of flywheel. there is nothing there to catch on it but I think there must have been and it fell out. Anyway, I restarted and saw fired up , warmed it up and ran it at full revs, no problems at all... until i hit the chain break, and then there was a kinda grinding noise coming from clutch area... It stopped when chain brake was released and chain running, and started making it again when brake applied.
My feeling is that something stopped the flywheel suddenly, something metal was in there judging from the marks, and this caused the problem im having now.
I f anybody could help me identify how or why this noise is happening I would greatly appreciate it!!
Thanks a mil From the emerald isle
put up some pics of the damage when you get a chance

I was trying to hold out but I would have bought a poulan pro 5020 over a timber pro. I don't buy cheap Chinese stuff. If you have any mechanical ability then a used saw is not a big deal. Its like buying a used car you need to look around and do research. And if you buy a quality brand then there's nothing to worry about except for misuse.

Time and time again buying cheap tools will kill u in the long run buy quality stuff and it will last.

I was trying to hold out but I would have bought a poulan pro 5020 over a timber pro. I don't buy cheap Chinese stuff. If you have any mechanical ability then a used saw is not a big deal. Its like buying a used car you need to look around and do research. And if you buy a quality brand then there's nothing to worry about except for misuse.

Time and time again buying cheap tools will kill u in the long run buy quality stuff and it will last.
there's a saying around here
Buy cheap, buy choice

there's a saying around here
Buy cheap, buy choice

I'm not trying to be an a hole but you can be cheap and buy a decent used saw its not hard to find a good one. I'm not surprised the OP's saw crapped out that soon. There's no quality control on those saws and they don't care how long they last. They will send u a new one for free because they cost 3 dollars to make and u gave them 150.

I didn't mean to offend anyone or they're saws, I had 1 of those timber pro saws for a while and it was a good saw for the price. I had a lot of saws pass through my hands of all different makes but I'll always have
I'm not trying to be an a hole but you can be cheap and buy a decent used saw its not hard to find a good one. I'm not surprised the OP's saw crapped out that soon. There's no quality control on those saws and they don't care how long they last. They will send u a new one for free because they cost 3 dollars to make and u gave them 150.
my stihls, they are the 1 of the best chainsaw manufacturers in my opinion. Here in Ireland, you'd be pushed to find a clean second hand saw that wasn't abused or stolen, even the dealers don't have them for less than €350 and for that price you'd have a deposit for a new saw that has no work done

I just feel like I'd be wasting my time counting on a timber pro to do all my work. I love stihl, I run old saws and they do great work. Husky is ok too and I have a soft spot for older poulans.

Sadly with stihl quality so great I don't think I'll ever buy a new one lol.

I've looked at those Chinese saws but I couldn't pull the trigger on one.

Sadly with stihl quality so great I don't think I'll ever buy a new one lol.
I work my saws hard 5-6 days a week in my line of work and I find that stihl last longer but the only other saws that came close are solo. When the next generation comes round to collecting vintage saw, will autotune and m-tronic still be around

Seems that many responders would prefer to trash your saw choice rather than help with your problem.

I’m curious if the chain is moving a little at idle. The idle speed could be a bit high causing the clutch to begin engagement.

Latest posts

Back