Non-Caustic Parts Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions:

If you are cleaning parts with a dishwasher, do you use regular dishwasher detergent?

Someone mentioned soaking small parts in a solution, maybe it was simple green? Or was it that purple stuff?

I will be staying somewhere for a few weeks this fall where I will not be able to use petroleum based cleaners but wanted to do some work on a couple of rebuilds.

This is second hand info, so take it for what it's worth. Simple Green - green is relatively safe on plastics but turns aluminum black. Simple Green - purple is great on aluminum but hard on plastics.

The best and safest cleaner/degreaser I have found is a citrus-based cleaner called Contractor's Solvent by De-Solv-it (about $37/gallon). My routine when rebuilding a saw is to disassemble it, then blow away all the crud I can with compressed air. Then I spray the de-crudded parts with straight Contractor's Solvent (I never dilute it) and let them sit for a while. Then spray with hot water and let dry (I blow dry sensitive parts like bearings, and spray them with WD-40). I have yet to find any material that is harmed by it (unlike the purple stuff). If I had a parts washer, things might be done differently, but I don't.

Best stuff I have found is DEF 505. Fantastic on cleaning petroleum based grunge. Spray or soak and rinse with water. Can be purchased at HD.

This is second hand info, so take it for what it's worth. Simple Green - green is relatively safe on plastics but turns aluminum black. Simple Green - purple is great on aluminum but hard on plastics.

At work we used concentrated Simple Green for years. We got this stuff and nobody would touch the SG.

I have been using that 505 stuff in my U/S cleaner on mufflers at 50% dilution and it sure cleans them up.

Hey Dahmer - I see a dremel up there and a flashlght... wutcha bin grindin on pal?? You portin that Blue Beast you just picked up off the 'bay?

I have been using that 505 stuff in my U/S cleaner on mufflers at 50% dilution and it sure cleans them up.

Hey Dahmer - I see a dremel up there and a flashlght... wutcha bin grindin on pal?? You portin that Blue Beast you just picked up off the 'bay?

Good eyes Cliff. With my shakes I can take an 1/8" bit and have a 1" hole in an instant. lol The blue beast is fine just the way she is, running. Beginning to think I might need a blue big brother, say a 79!!!

There you go thinking again... I like it! Would be a great Fall/Winter project! I think @fordf150 is a good guy to contact regarding that particular upgrade. I think he sells everything you might need and would point you in the right direction.

Upgrade!! We don't need no stinking upgrade. I mean another blue saw in 79. Maybe even bigger, say, 90??? I'm just like the monster Dr. Frankenstein created, and you created it!!! Check out my thread"weird bar problem." I'm scratching my head.

Sorry @svk, didn't mean to take the thread to Siberia. Try that 505, if you don't think it's great I'll refund your money, seriously. I won't recommend something that I won't use myself.

The one time I used the dishwasher, I blew out as much as I could with the air nozzle and just put the dishwasher on pots and pans, no soap.

I normally don't bother getting parts that clean. The one I did was a crankcase assembly for a Husqy, 460? 455? We dug one out of the parts shed and it was pretty well caked with years of rat poo, sawdust, silt, and who knows.
I tried cleaning it just in the parts tank, got it decent, but I didn't trust it was clean enough, so I put it in the dishwasher. That got it about 99% clean.

I used the dishwasher in the rental upstairs of the shop (wasn't rented out at the time). Sure was hell wasn't putting that in the $1200 dishwasher at home!

Back