noodling helpers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I thought I'd give this idea a try. Just a little something to help keep the rounds off the ground while I do the noodling. Works pretty well. Holds the two halves in place if I need to noodle them in thirds, like I did here. (My sons need to be able to lift them onto the splitter). Your thoughts?

1013181054.jpg 1013181056.jpg 1013181059.jpg

Noodling Horizontally looks like it wood be inconvenient to Me.

A pallet if you watch where the nails are wood work, or if lifting the rounds on to a full length round is too much, cut a "Short Round 4-10" and put your rounds on that, but to me, noodling Vertically would seem much more Comfortable;), regardless of what you space it off the ground with.

Doug :cheers:

Noodling Horizontally looks like it wood be inconvenient to Me.

A pallet if you watch where the nails are wood work, or if lifting the rounds on to a full length round is too much, cut a "Short Round 4-10" and put your rounds on that, but to me, noodling Vertically would seem much more Comfortable;), regardless of what you space it off the ground with.

Is it still considered "noodling" if its done from the end grain? Every time I've done it that way, its fine sawdust, not long noodles. That's with a regular chisel chain. I much prefer the way uncle has it pictured. I think the blocks/stops are a good idea.

Is it still considered "noodling" if its done from the end grain? Every time I've done it that way, its fine sawdust, not long noodles. That's with a regular chisel chain. I much prefer the way uncle has it pictured. I think the blocks/stops are a good idea.

Yep, it cuts much better horizontally. For verticle the chain should be filed differently...like for milling.

I push two 'to be noodled" rounds together then lay he next round in the 'V'. Since I split or noodle everything down to a size I can load on the truck, the only noodling I do in the wood yard is for knots/crotches and the like. I can lift anyting coming through the gate onto the splitter.

Splitter with a log lift is a bonus as would be a small excavator with a thumb. If you have neither, I usually find a hammer and wedge faster and cleaner than noodling. Better exercise too.

Noodling is quick and efficient. That's a big round, but noodling and SuperSplitting is most likely quicker and easier than a log lift and four-way for stove wood.

Yes, that's been my experience. Depending on the wood, noodling is often faster than maul/wedge.

And with a 3' round, even if I manage to get it on the Supersplit, it will likely not split all the way through, so I'll have to turn that monster over somehow. If I do get it split, then both halves are still too huge to lift onto the splitter.
Maybe if I had a hydraulic with a lift and a 12" wedge I'd do it, but I like my supersplit, and my new Echo does great with the noodling.

And for Doug, maybe they do things differently out in Oregon, but I don't 'noodle' my helpers (especially since they are my own kids) - I noodle my wood. ;)o_O

I do hate when lifting a big round on the beam it pulls me over like a rag doll. Especially after giving it my all to hoist it up there!

And for Doug, maybe they do things differently out in Oregon, but I don't 'noodle' my helpers (especially since they are my own kids) - I noodle my wood. ;)o_O

Hey Stache, it's Your thread titled "Noodling Helpers";):):)

Just making sure the wife was okay with it:D

Out here in Oregon, noodling helpers would get you in trouble, unless of course, you aren't here legally, then it's all okay, Oregon is a Sanctuary State, we only prosecute American Citizen Criminals here:(:(

Noodling is quick and efficient. That's a big round, but noodling and SuperSplitting is most likely quicker and easier than a log lift and four-way for stove wood.
I stack rounds like stair steps next to my table and use the steps to roll other big rounds up on the table . unless they are to big then I noodle.

looks like they work .

many ways to skin that cat .

do you use a ripping chain when you are doing a lot of noodling?

my son and I were doing some 24-36 inch rounds today , flip the DHT 27ton vertical roll the round over flop it in split , maneuvering the rounds around was aided by the cant hook and 2 pickaroons , don't even have to bend over to roll rounds just walk backwards rolling the round with the pickaroons. stack the 1/4s on the tailgate till out of space , flip the beam horizontal and break it all down tossing the splits to the front of the truck. repeat until full.

Looks like a good idea to me. Noodling really is pretty efficient, cut this block in about 14 sec, I think cycle time on my splitter is 13 sec. The 385 I had was faster than the splitter. Most of my wood comes from 20-35 miles away so all splitting is done at home. Any bigger rounds get noodled in the woods to make loading easier, I wouldn’t be able to load or lift onto splitter the bigger rounds without cutting them in half.

I rarely noodle until rounds are dangerous to move around. Most of the large burr oaks have hollow trunks and easily bust with a wedge and sledge if needed. Maybe an occasional ugly crotch.

Last time I did a bunch was a 54" maple yard tree. Grain was wrapped like an elm. If I have a lot of big rounds my buddy usually helps with them. 2 guys can roll some pretty big rounds on my low splitter.

This thread has me thinking it may be a good idea to have a big round like your splitting log which you keep in your splitting area but also have a big round with a V groove to cradle rounds for noodling. Kind of like a V block used for holding round metal when milling flats on metal.
Could also cut a giant wedge to use as a ramp to roll the rounds up into the noodling V block.

I usually leave an inch or so at the bottom of my noodle cut and just smack it with the fiskars. Those 600 series echoes clear noodle like nobodies business. 590 gets the nod over the 7910 for noodle work here.

Back