noodling helpers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tip the splitter vertical to handle the big pieces like that. Do noodle the stuff that I'm pretty sure won't split and just jam up on the splitter though.

Noodling Horizontally looks like it wood be inconvenient to Me.

A pallet if you watch where the nails are wood work, or if lifting the rounds on to a full length round is too much, cut a "Short Round 4-10" and put your rounds on that, but to me, noodling Vertically would seem much more Comfortable;), regardless of what you space it off the ground with.

Doug :cheers:

That would be ripping I think, not noodling.

I hate noodling. That looks like a good time to go vertical. :)

I usually leave an inch or so at the bottom of my noodle cut and just smack it with the fiskars. Those 600 series echoes clear noodle like nobodies business. 590 gets the nod over the 7910 for noodle work here.
That is one thing I don’t like about the 562 is the clutch cover, jams up with noodles pretty quick.

It’s all about the angle to keep the noodles from wadding up.

I should say, angle of the saw to grain. Sort of a 22ish degree angle.

And for Doug, maybe they do things differently out in Oregon, but I don't 'noodle' my helpers (especially since they are my own kids) - I noodle my wood. ;)o_O

Hey Stache, it's Your thread titled "Noodling Helpers";):):)

Just making sure the wife was okay with it:D

Out here in Oregon, noodling helpers would get you in trouble, unless of course, you aren't here legally, then it's all okay, Oregon is a Sanctuary State, we only prosecute American Citizen Criminals here:(:(

I see - good point. One must be careful with their words lest one gets in trouble with them.
Certainly someone from Oregon knows that! My condolences.
My younger brother spent 14 years in Portland. I don't know how he could take it for so long. Pretty town, but the people...... :crazy2::cold::crazy2:

I see - good point. One must be careful with their words lest one gets in trouble with them.
My younger brother spent 14 years in Portland. I don't know how he could take it for so long. Pretty town, but the people...... :crazy2::cold::crazy2:

Yes, it is a Beautiful area, and generally the further you get from Portland the Prettier it gets;)
Just driving around town is enough to send a guy over the edge:surprised3::(

We were in St. Louis in 2008, Your Zoo is First Rate, we really Enjoyed it, and being a Rail fan, the Museum of Transportation was something else that I really enjoyed, damned near had a peddleboat sink on us though at the old train station:surprised3::surprised3::surprised3::surprised3:

I just tip the splitter vertical to handle the big pieces like that. Do noodle the stuff that I'm pretty sure won't split and just jam up on the splitter though.
I do not like to noodle.It's hard on the saw,only do it as a last resort.Otherwise the big chunks get nailed by the splitter when it goes vertical.

I don't know how you could live in Portland or St Louis. I do my best to stay away from any city with more than 100k people in it. I live where the cows outnumber people.

I noodle which ever way the log is laying. If the log is laying vertical, I turn my saw vertical and noodle. The point is to get it small enough to pick up, so I certainly am not going to wrestle it into an ideal position. That is also why I hate vertical splitters. Why wrestle the huge rounds on the ground, when I can noodle it and put it anywhere I want.

I don't know how you could live in Portland or St Louis. I do my best to stay away from any city with more than 100k people in it. I live where the cows outnumber people.

I noodle which ever way the log is laying. If the log is laying vertical, I turn my saw vertical and noodle. The point is to get it small enough to pick up, so I certainly am not going to wrestle it into an ideal position. That is also why I hate vertical splitters. Why wrestle the huge rounds on the ground, when I can noodle it and put it anywhere I want.

I wouldn't want to live IN a city of even 10K, We are in what could best be described as a Rural Neighborhood, we have Neighbors, but definitely more like Neighbors were in the 50's-70's than what too many are like now days.

I don't have any trouble rolling large rounds to the splitter. Roll them up to it then tip them on to the base plate, I usually have some 2x lumber by the base plate so the rounds sit straight, but rolling them isn't any kind of challenge, very similar to rolling wooden packing barrels, the ease of moving them is WHY so much was packed in barrels before mechanized material handling was developed.

Do what works for you, I just don't see where rolling rounds to a vertical splatter is any more difficult than noodling and carrying the wood.

How is Noodling Hard on a saw?:confused:

I've heard this before from people and always wondered myself. Does the saw know it's noodling? No, it just knows it's working, keep it under a load and it's fine. Harder on the chain? Maybe but I doubt it. Easier on my back? Hell yes it is!! That's not something as easily fixed/replaced.

Plus, the noodles make great chicken bedding for the nesting boxes.

One of the biggest problems with “noodling” logs is the mess. Noodles are loaded with bar oil. Not recommended for chicken bedding or much else. Switching to canola would make them more environmentally friendly but I would still not use them for chicken bedding.

How is Noodling Hard on a saw?:confused:

Usually when noodleing the saw is running at or near full throttle all he way through a big chunk of wood.I don't like holding wide open throttle for an extended period of time on any gas engine.My opinion "hard on the saw" YMMV.

Usually when noodleing the saw is running at or near full throttle all he way through a big chunk of wood.I don't like holding wide open throttle for an extended period of time on any gas engine.My opinion "hard on the saw" YMMV.

I don't unnecessarily "Piss Rev" my saws, but is Noodling Really any different than Bucking the same piece of wood?

I see it as using the saw for it's intended purpose, to cut wood.

Cross Cutting or Noodling, any run time is putting wear on the saw.

By your logic, one shouldn't cut Hardwoods, because they are "Harder" on the saw than Pine or Cedar.

I am learning Chainsaw Milling, that wood be harder on the saw than Noodling wood be, but Milling is one of the reasons that I bought my 3120XP, and I just accept and expect that it will accelerate the wear of the saw, much the same way that I accept pulling 10,000# of Travel Trailer or Firewood will put more wear on my F350, than if I never used my truck for anything more than commuting or grocery shopping, just using each for what they were Designed and Bought for.

There is a Difference between "Use" and "Abuse".

Your manual will say "full throttle when cutting" or versions thereof. The only time I slow it down is when finishing a cut near the ground - then I want the chain barely moving if it has to go in the dirt.

I'm not sure noodling is hard on a saw, per se, but it is harder on it than going vertical with a splitter instead. :)

Noodling Horizontally looks like it wood be inconvenient to Me.

A pallet if you watch where the nails are wood work, or if lifting the rounds on to a full length round is too much, cut a "Short Round 4-10" and put your rounds on that, but to me, noodling Vertically would seem much more Comfortable;), regardless of what you space it off the ground with.

Correction: Noodling looks like it would be inconvenient to me.

Correction: Noodling looks like it would be inconvenient to me.
It's not. The idea is to make a chunk of wood that you can carry or lift onto the tailgate. Sometimes you need four chunks and when it really gets big, I need six. My log splitter is often 30 miles or more from the job site where I cut the big rounds.

What most do not realize is that when you cut with the log's grain (parallel to it), the wear and tear on the saw's chain is not much more than bucking across the grain. It is as if you are planing the wood and that is what produces the long noodles.

Latest posts

Back