Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrocLuno

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have been able to get the Ranger at Bothe-Napa Valley Park to give us a weekend for a possible GTG. We are the Park Forest Practices Group (volunteers) and we have the first weekend in November -> 3 & 4, 2012.

The Park has 50 camp sites, 4 walk-in sites (short walk), 40 or so that will accommodate a small to medium motor home or trailer, some overflow camping in Day Use that will accommodate bigger motor homes, a group camp area, and day use pic-nic areas (where we will have our activities).

We need to start organizing this, so if there are folks who are interested attending; please contact Eccentric, CKelp, or me and we'll start to assemble the agenda. The Park will be off the commercial reservation system by then, so we'll be coordinating reservations with staff. We need lead time.

We'd sure like to get some of the Nor-Cal loggers who worked the Redwoods and big Doug Firs before logging went bust in Cali. Since this is the first GTG held here, we'll have to work out the wrinkles this time and make plans for next year based on who shows and what you'all want to do?

We're hoping this is the First Annual Bothe GTG ... Chime in if you want to attend :)

Last edited:
Absolutely right ...

If you have done one of these before, please chime in and help us out :)

The big deal is getting past the commercial reservation period. It raises heck with trying to set aside spaces for folks. So Nov 3 & 4 is as early as we can do it. Nice venue with about 2,000 acres of standing forest to hike in and such. Hopefully, the creek will still be flowing ...

Randy, it's great you're thinking about coming. You're a great wealth of knowledge and we have some ideas to run by you for Logging Interpretation for the kids who visit the Park when there are no old wood boys around to explain the ways of the world to the young'ins :)

Bruce knows far more about the park than I do. Don't know if there's any OG left. There are OG stumps. Currently, it's mostly Oaks, Madrones, Doug Firs, with a mix of others. We cut up a good sized root pulled maple there a couple months ago.

I have a length of Disston 3/4" pitch chisel chain that was found in the park long ago. It's quite rusty. Going to carefully clean it. Looks like it was sharp, with lots of life left in it when it was discarded. Matches this Acres listing. Would be FANTASTIC if someone can bring a running DA211A to demonstrate (and be filmed) in the park.

Chain Saw Chain

Yep. A few miles south of Calistoga on 128.

We'd love to see you there Bob. Gotta get you to run a heavy old McBeast while you're here though.:D

I'm definitely interested. I've been anticipating attending my first GTG for quite a while now.

Charles it'd be great if you could attend. It'd be about 86 miles and 103 minutes for you according to Mapquest.

142 miles/162 minutes for Bob. One way of course....

With Calistoga and St Helena so close...........there'd be plenty for family members who aren't into chainsaws to do during the day. Spas, restaurants, wineries, etc...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back