Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are thinking about it. Gas prices and weather will affect my decision. November is a wicked weather month in the Great Mildewed PNW.

So, this is maybe going to be at a state park with showers and all? No Manson Family members close by?
The Wine Country is a spendy place.

We are thinking about it. Gas prices and weather will affect my decision. November is a wicked weather month in the Great Mildewed PNW.

So, this is maybe going to be at a state park with showers and all? No Manson Family members close by?
The Wine Country is a spendy place.

Ms P we'd be honored if you'd come down for the GTG. There are bathrooms with toilets and sinks plus hot coin opperated pay showers like you'll find at other Ca state parks. This is/was a Ca state park that's transitioning to a county park. There are 'dry' RV spaces at the park for you if you're taking the 'Wing.

The wine country 'tourist' places are indeed spendy. But gas and food on your route all the way through to northern Santa Rosa where you'd leave HWY 101 and head east to go to Calistoga is reasonable and plentiful. St Helena (which is a few miles south of the park) has at least one super market, a large hardware store, and other places where you can find reasonably priced supplies. Calistoga (which is a few miles north of the park) has reasonably priced gas. I'm sure St Helena does too.

Santa Rosa (again, at your turning point) has several reasonable gas stations, supermarkets, and such near the area of your turnoff. Any of us locals would be happy to guide you to whatever you need to get to. The manson family was way down in SoCal. We're hundreds of miles north of the barker ranch.:D

redhat.jpg

Bon Chapeau mon ami...............

Tu zapatos es muey bonita...........

Some bilingual appreciation for you my friend.............:msp_biggrin:

Wow that's like a half hour from you Aaron......nice.

Put me in as a long shot.

Yep. At a 'relaxed' pace, it's more like 40-45 minutes. Some mildly twisty stuff. Not bad though. I've made that drive dozens of times over the years for various reasons. Been to the park three times so far (for cutting, and to work on a HUGE donated walk behind tiller (old Howard Rotovator with an 18HP Wisconsin twin). Hope to see you there JP.:cheers:

Yep. At a 'relaxed' pace, it's more like 40-45 minutes. Some mildly twisty stuff. Not bad though. I've made that drive dozens of times over the years for various reasons. Been to the park three times so far (for cutting, and to work on a HUGE donated walk behind tiller (old Howard Rotovator with an 18HP Wisconsin twin). Hope to see you there JP.:cheers:

Yeah, put me in as a ne'er do well..........er........I mean.......er......er.........nevermind.

Back in my young and dumb days, I made it from the far side of Sebastopol to Pope Valley in 49 minutes in my 1989 Ex-CHP 5.0L Mustang.....:D

you must have scrape the crap out of the door handles!

also, i was just in Pittsburg, i ran into several "ex-clients" of yours:msp_biggrin:

Last edited:

Nope. Was a clean run. Went from my house to the old Paintball Hill park in Pope Valley. EARLY on a Saturday morning with little traffic. On one of the 'passing lane' hills, I passed ELEVEN cars......including a pickup pulling a boat. You won't see my doing crazy #### like that anymore. I was 19 at the time. My passenger's father used to be an instructer at the old Bob Bondurant driving school..............so he was used to being the passenger during some hot driving.:D

Dammit. I just remembered it was 59 minutes (not 49). One minute shy of an hour. Still cooking for that drive. Forgive me for the memory lapse. That was 20 years ago. Then there was the time I made it from Sacramento State to Santa Rosa Junior College in 79 minutes......at something like 3 or 4 AM. Mapquest sez that's 102.8 miles and SHOULD take 118 minutes. using the 80/12/29/116/101 route I took...:D

Last edited:
i'd did it in 20(my house to calistoga):msp_scared: riding shotgun in a nissan Z

Back in my young and dumb days, I made it from the far side of Sebastopol to Pope Valley in 49 minutes in my 1989 Ex-CHP 5.0L Mustang.....:D

Oh yeah, well it took me 20 minutes to get from the Slownoma Plaza to my mom's house on the west side on a holiday weekend...................:tongue2:

That's a slow 3 miles...............

Last edited:
Hah! I took me 20 minutes just to drive through Auburn this morning. :msp_angry:

Auburn is kind of spread out, but not that far.:mad: To get through Shingle Springs all I have to do is cross over highway 50.........:msp_rolleyes:

Hah! I took me 20 minutes just to drive through Auburn this morning. :msp_angry:

how about 2hours to go from san rafael to richmond aprox 15mi :msp_unsure:
good ol' cal trans decideing that they need to fix a expansion joint during rush hour on a Friday:msp_unsure:

also, i was just in Pittsburg, i ran into several "ex-clients" of yours:msp_biggrin:

Pittsburg (especially west Pittsburg) is ROUGH. I used to have a friend in Antioch that I'd visit. Had to go to ####'sburg at times when visiting him. Like West Sacramento...

Pittsburg (especially west Pittsburg) is ROUGH. I used to have a friend in Antioch that I'd visit. Had to go to ####'sburg at times when visiting him. Like West Sacramento...

Pittsburgh? Isn't that where The Mecca restaurant is? I remember they had really good burrito's.

Back