Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Santa rosa and east side hills of napa got it worst so far. Park is ok. We evacuated everyone last night. Cross your finger/pray that the winds dont get too big. The park feels surrounded by fire. Im staying at the park for now. No power no service on phone... ill stay in touch with you all next time i make it to the bar here in calistoga. Saws are in the truck of course, along with all other tools i can imagine we may need for the next few days.

Here's what I have found for noon today, Oct 10:

22459119_10107156043902558_8219811433031383831_o.jpg

Still 0% containment on the Tubbs and Atlas fires; winds (NE) expected to pick up tomorrow. Good to hear that your holding out Tyler, stay safe.

It will be spring before the true extent of damage will be known -- many standing trees will look badly damaged but will bud out next year and carry on. Those that fail to bud six months from now are goners. Grass and undergrowth will recover quickly. Houses and businesses, not as quickly, I fear.

I'm slightly disagreeing with Nate here. It will take 2-3 years for the effects of fire on the forest trees to truly be felt. Of course any tree killed by fire should come down, but root damage takes awhile to show itself. The forest areas that have burned will need inspection by a QUALIFIED arborist every six months or so for several years. A city/urban arborist is not the right person for that job.

I'm slightly disagreeing with Nate here. It will take 2-3 years for the effects of fire on the forest trees to truly be felt.

True. I'm oversimplifying for the sake of brevity. Mainly I'm worried about immediate hazards rather than developing ones.

If there is any help I can provide, holler. I will think good thoughts. Charlie, I sure hope the work you've done will keep the flame lengths down and the fire a bit cooler. That has been successful in other places so there is still hope.

If there is any help I can provide, holler. I will think good thoughts. Charlie, I sure hope the work you've done will keep the flame lengths down and the fire a bit cooler. That has been successful in other places so there is still hope.
Thanks, Patty. It will likely be days more before we're allowed back up the hill. I am anxious to see how and where the burn proceeded. I'm looking forward to the GTG at Bothe to pick the brains of some of the attendees as to how best to attempt to manage the forest to keep the fuel load from getting so large, at least in the 20 acres or so near the house. Our best information is that the last fire to burn through here was in 1906 or thereabouts.

unfortunately rls got it. ranger sandy's house and surrounding structures have burned. she evacuated on Monday. everyone is ok. calfire and state parks cut dozer line around the houses but the fuel was too much. Charlie, im here to help with the clean up when this is all over. I have to say I am experiencing a bit of guilt looking at the forest here at bothe and the mill; we got lucky. stay safe ya'll

Thanks, Patty. It will likely be days more before we're allowed back up the hill. I am anxious to see how and where the burn proceeded. I'm looking forward to the GTG at Bothe to pick the brains of some of the attendees as to how best to attempt to manage the forest to keep the fuel load from getting so large, at least in the 20 acres or so near the house. Our best information is that the last fire to burn through here was in 1906 or thereabouts.

Charlie...I won't be able to do any actual work but if you need another set of eyes or some ideas I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Back