Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we determine the dates for this year's GTG. I have to coordinate picking up seedlings and arranging for planters. The longer the lead time the better it is for me.
BTW I will try to post pics of the damage caused by the windstorm of a few weeks ago.
Yesterday I got my truck stuck and brought the excavator in to pull me out. I promptly got it stuck. It was a long day.

In the Santa Cruz mountains after the CZU lightning complex from August 2020 a huge amount of redwoods were inside the burn scar. These are, with few exceptions, second growth trees or younger. While at first glance there appears to be no damage to the redwoods, there is indeed damage that is showing up now. Since these trees are (mostly) clones of the mother tree, aka fairy rings, their root system is shallow. Much shallower than the mother trees. It is these shallow roots that suffered damage during the fire. Now we are experiencing massive die back, browning, stress, or whatever you want to call it.

Tyler you might want to look at your forest where fire burn in and around the fairy rings. (Not all trees in a fairy ring are from the center mother tree, some may be root sprouts from other trees.) Let me know if you want me to come there and walk around too.

In the Santa Cruz mountains after the CZU lightning complex from August 2020 a huge amount of redwoods were inside the burn scar. These are, with few exceptions, second growth trees or younger. While at first glance there appears to be no damage to the redwoods, there is indeed damage that is showing up now. Since these trees are (mostly) clones of the mother tree, aka fairy rings, their root system is shallow. Much shallower than the mother trees. It is these shallow roots that suffered damage during the fire. Now we are experiencing massive die back, browning, stress, or whatever you want to call it.

Tyler you might want to look at your forest where fire burn in and around the fairy rings. (Not all trees in a fairy ring are from the center mother tree, some may be root sprouts from other trees.) Let me know if you want me to come there and walk around too.
I d love you to come up and learn me some more tree stuff, always and anytime. It’s pretty confusing forest right now. The redwoods with growth all up the trunk are dropping, the all brown ones are still up, mostly. Probably water weight or something is a factor. There hot to medium to cold zones in this burn, I’m still wrapping my head around it all. Sure is nice to see the understory growth now. That’s not happening everywhere yet. As far as gtg dates for 2021, let’s do 2nd weekend again. As far as seedlings (are you talking about bringing some here?) we might not have permission to replant anything. Parks are pretty strict about that. I’d have to fill out 1000000000 pages of paper work and have overpaid undereducated “scientists “ approval.

Tyler did you see the fb post re Cal Fire blocking two private SEATs from flying? They were to be paid by a growers' association.

Down here Allstate has been notifying clients that they will be sending in private forces during fires to spray Thermogel or some other retardant on their houses.

Yes. I have read about the “fire bosses” scooper planes. Calfire thinks the planes would be in the way and helicopters are more effective. The Napa county supervisors have declined the 1.5 million donation. Not sure how I feel about this. As far as private fire companies deployed by insurance agencies; they did get in the way last year. In fact one company set a backfire without communicating with IC and it jumped to areas that would likely not have burned during the Glass fire.

Back