North Star 37 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
F79DCAC0-F52F-4102-BFE8-732D0F3091F9.png Anyone have any experience with these not much info from actual users this model isn’t the tilt version would this be considered a commercial unit? Just found one with less then 20 hours of use for half the price.. seems a little slow but the log lift would be a huge help and staging table

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631584_200631584

I bought the Northstar 37 ton with the GX 270 engine (no lift). The unit this far has served me well. No flies on the Honda motor. The one gripe I have with it is that the store put it together and it was in no way put together properly. Bolts were loose, side trays assembled wrong, and throttle cable no assembled properly. After working out the kinks, it's been a pretty good splitter in the 6 months I've owned it.

What sold me on the splitter was the Honda GX engine and the throttle cable which idles down on ram open and throttles up on the split. This automatically occurs with the throttle actuator that the ram bumps similar to a garage door stop switch.

If I had to buy again, I'd would buy one. However, the CountyLine TSC offers is appealing based on cost alone. NorthStar spliiters are no Iron Oak/Brave/etc. However, they are still spendy.

My BIL's boss has had that model for a number of years and has had good luck with it. He has always thought it was a little slow to. A 16 GPM pump on a 5 inch cylinder is slow when I have a 28 GPM pump on a 4 inch cylinder that I use. I did a complete service on splitter this spring for him and also put a 22 GPM pump on it. He is a lot happier with it now.

Went to look at splitter he had the 37 ton pictured but was actually the older 30 ton with GX270 and log lift really good shape he put a new 16 gpm pump and all new hoses on asking 2400 but I thought was the bigger model.. this one doesn’t have the idle down feature or electric start which the electric start I don’t really care about it has a 5” bore 3000 psi cylinder from my chart comes out to 29 tons he said make an offer.. is this machine a good 25/50 a year cord machine I’m sure it’s slow but I get lots of big stuff so that don’t bother me he says the hydraulic needs to be bleed? Shouldn’t that just work itself out?

The hyd should bleed them self out by cycling the cylinder. I don't know what you are using for a splitter now but for 25/50 cord a year a 16 GPM pump on a five inch cylinder is going to be slow. With the smaller engine you wouldn't want to put a 22 GPM pump on that motor. The two guys that help me get my 15/20 cord a year really thinks my 28 GPM pump is slow some days on a 4 inch cylinder.

Back