Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Rybicki

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Right now, I'm pretty amateur at identifying different types of trees and as it is Early Spring here in Northern Michigan, it is hard to identify tree types by their leaves, because there are none.. So I resort to identifying trees by their bark. From what I've seen - to me, this looks like some sort of Ash tree. I could be completely wrong. Can anyone confirm or differ this?

Thanks,

Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_6178.JPG
    IMG_6178.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 59
Right now, I'm pretty amateur at identifying different types of trees and as it is Early Spring here in Northern Michigan, it is hard to identify tree types by their leaves, because there are none.. So I resort to identifying trees by their bark. From what I've seen - to me, this looks like some sort of Ash tree. I could be completely wrong. Can anyone confirm or differ this?

Thanks,

Aaron

If I had to guess, I’d say Mulberry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hackberry, Celtis occidentalis
images
Getting about as far north as they go in their natural range. upload_2019-4-6_6-48-15.jpeg

We don’t have Hackberry or Mulberry here so my guess would have been Ash as well. Another way to identify trees is by the twig. The terminal bud is a great tool (color, size and even placement on the twig)

Good luck!

Not enough info to make a guess. Tree shape, branch structure, and as mentioned earlier terminal bud pics would be helpful.

Bark alone, especially one picture, is really an unreliable way to ID most trees since the same tree can have drastically different bark depending on position and age.

From the info available I could get onboard with hackberry.

It's in a yard so the native tree thing goes out the window. Corky bark, sure looks like hackberry.

Latest posts

Back