Northern Tools Chain Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jutt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just upgraded today from a couple of Harbor Freight grinders to the Oregon 511AX. I have heard mostly favorable reviews on the NT grinders. (worth what they cost I guess) but I have never used one personally. I have seen some 511AX clones online in the $120 range but decided to spend the bucks and get the genuine article.

when the nt grinders went on sale a few years back,,there were a bunch of us bought them..then two diff guys made some very good mods to them,,along with shims and such...makes a dang good grinder out of them....the old search function is probably nonfunctionable.....

Yellow is the current color. Back in Dec. I got one of the red ones for $100. Paid for itself many times over, sharpening buds' chains.

One thing I like about it is the ability to move the motor assembly a bit left or right, maybe a milimeter or two, so you can grind badly rocked teeth a bit more than the better teeth. Gives you some flexibility.

I found the OEM wheels a bit wobbly. Molemab wheels run much truer. Got some Oregon wheels- gonna check them out soon. I've heard they're a bit harder than Molemab.

I always degrease a chain before grinding. Thanks, Philbert, for that advice.

my nt grinder has 200 or so sharpenings .works great get it.

The 2nd link is the one they were talking about in those old threads

Do a few searches and you might still find something useful. I have an NT clone as well as a 511a Oregon. The clone is not quite as powerful and made with somewhat cheaper materials, but it will do the job. You might find the vise table does not rotate as smoothly, but you can use a dremel tool to clean up the burrs inside the rim of it. I used my NT for a couple years exclusively and when I got a 511a on sale, I set up the NT to do the depth gauges only. It works well.

Warning, on either of these grinders, if your vise table has the 10 degree adjustment to handle chisel chain, there will be two small spring-loaded ball bearings for the detents that will fall out when you take it apart. Trust me you do not want to lose them.

I bought a timber tuff grinder.
For what I do it works fine.
Nothing fancy.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

After waiting for a couple years, I came across a old used Oregon 511a with a bad vice real cheap and put a new Tecomec vice on it. I've been very happy.

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the yellow one (Roughneck) from NT. Found a 20% off coupon online.

NT sharpener is working great once I got it dialed in. I did order one of the Oregon branded discs which doesn't have any wobble. The chain on my 7900 was crap due to a rock strike and its back to like new cutting condition after about 10 minutes of grinding. I almost forgot how good that saw can cut and it has also made me realize that I'm not too good at hand sharpening which I have been doing on a pretty regular basis but with poor results.

Of course a week after I buy it, someone posts a local CL ad for a like new Oregon 511a for $100.

I've been looking for a used 511, but have been watching them sell for over $200 on eBay. I debate on the NT version since they have $20 off coupon and based on others luck with them. There's so many online versions that look like Oregon copies. I wasn't sure if NT made any improvements or cut quality to increase profit.

Thanks

I recently purchased a 511ax and then even more recently picked up a used NT red version. I want the NT one to set up for rakers. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will do fine. I really think the ideal set up for me would be to have a grinder set up for 3/8, another for .325 and lo pro and one for rakers.
I had hoped to use one of my HF grinders for rakers but couldn't find a wide wheel for it.

I recently purchased a 511ax and then even more recently picked up a used NT red version. I want the NT one to set up for rakers. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will do fine. I really think the ideal set up for me would be to have a grinder set up for 3/8, another for .325 and lo pro and one for rakers.
I had hoped to use one of my HF grinders for rakers but couldn't find a wide wheel for it.

Let me know when you can compare the 511ax to the NT clone. Curious about the differences from someone that has used both.

Back