Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skilowyo

Reaction score
I attached a few pictures for reference, but the bark on the lower trunk is starting to rot and separate/fall off. There seems to be a dark stain behind part of the section that is coming off and also a small section of the wood (left side of dark spot) is starting to rot some on the surface. The rest of the tree seems perfectly fine and healthy. Both of these trees do have some small dead leafless branches that fall out during windy days, but nothing that seems abnormal. There are no dead leaves or anything like that in the tree. Every now and again I do see a very small dead part in the tree, but it is usually just the very end/tip of a branch that looks overloaded with seeds and started to break from the weight. That section is no bigger than a human hand. I noticed a piece of the bark come off back in spring, but I figured something may have hit it or an animal pulled it off. We do have a bunch of squirrels around and now some deer. There is also another identical tree about 25' away that is perfectly healthy and a set of Walnut trees about the same distance that are also healthy. Does anyone know what may be causing this? It provides wonderful shade for the porch next to it as well as the house. I would really, really hate to loose this tree! I attached a leaf and the seeds as well in case I identified the tree incorrectly. The leaves turn a yellow color in the fall. Thanks again for any help!!!IMG_20160725_063359264.jpg IMG_20160725_063407811.jpg IMG_20160725_063716092.jpg IMG_20160725_063727365.jpg IMG_20160725_063742163.jpg

Did you have to remove the tree? If so, how much longer did it last? I will do some research on what you sent me, but I'm assuming there is no cure.... Thanks.

Your tree is a Norway maple, not a sugar maple. Never heard of sapstreak affecting Norways. I suspect that there is a root issue with the tree.

Your right, I checked some pictures of a Norway and that is definitely what it is. Thanks for correcting me there! Do you think it could possibly be Basal Canker or maybe even collar rot?

Hard to say from the pictures. You really need someone (qualified arborist) on-site to make a proper evaluation of cause and recommendations for management.

Back