Norway Spruce Tree care information.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeNewb909

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone! yesterday i was looking around in my local farmers market and i found a little tree that just stole my heart. I've always loved pine trees so when i seen this Norway spruce i had to buy it. they are notroious for surviving in draught like climates and they grow plentyful here in Idaho. the only problem i am having is, well, I have no idea what to do with this poor thing, I mean i know the basic plant it and watch it grow but you kind of have to care for it to have it grow right? haha. So anyways i wanted to know, what do i need to do, i have no planted it yet and its middle of fall, I plan on planting it today if i can but i need to know:

1: what i can use for an Acidic soil, would pine shavings be okay?
2: when do i need to water it? I researched it, and it says not to water until the first freeze and well we had a small freeze here but no more freeze for now, soon we should get a full on freeze. I want to water it to be safe but i also do not want to kill it.
3: will it grow through out the winter?

I have to come in here and ask because the first time i had ever had a tree of any sort it was a pine tree, and the thing was great until my dogs go ahold of it then we tried again and the gophers ate it, so we were not willing ot try again. But now i am willing to try again and learn as best possible.

Mulch beyond the edge of the branches and water it in after so. Hard to say how often you'll need to water this autumn as temps are low but it cant dry out while establishing. Watch your weather and precipitation.

Make sure not to plant too deep either. Norway spruce do pretty well in our area (Im in Boise) and your specific watering issues would most likely be in the summer. Emmett gets pretty hot and dry as you know

Make sure not to plant too deep either. Norway spruce do pretty well in our area (Im in Boise) and your specific watering issues would most likely be in the summer. Emmett gets pretty hot and dry as you know

okay :) thanks and yeah it does lol. I figured it would need some water i just didnt want ot kill it lol. so i will get it planted tomorrow :) how deep should i plant it just to where the roots go under and the base of the trunk is showing?or a bit deeper than that? i have it in a pot now so i can measure the pot and plant it as deep as that if that would work. :)

Mulch beyond the edge of the branches and water it in after so. Hard to say how often you'll need to water this autumn as temps are low but it cant dry out while establishing. Watch your weather and precipitation.

thanks! so any mulch will do? its pretty moist right now not to moist though the sun comes out and normally in the morning there is dew on the lawn so i was hoping that would help water it. I have to plant it tommorrow, so i will give it a good water as you suggested when i plant it in mulch :)

okay :) thanks and yeah it does lol. I figured it would need some water i just didnt want ot kill it lol. so i will get it planted tomorrow :) how deep should i plant it just to where the roots go under and the base of the trunk is showing?or a bit deeper than that? i have it in a pot now so i can measure the pot and plant it as deep as that if that would work. :)
Sorry if you already planted it. You want the root flare exposed. This is where the main buttress roots meet the trunk, that tapered area. Remember plant it high it will not die, plant it low it will not grow. Make sure to straighten out any circling roots that are visible so they don't become stem girdling roots. You want the roots to grow straight out and away from the trunk

Sorry if you already planted it. You want the root flare exposed. This is where the main buttress roots meet the trunk, that tapered area. Remember plant it high it will not die, plant it low it will not grow. Make sure to straighten out any circling roots that are visible so they don't become stem girdling roots. You want the roots to grow straight out and away from the trunk
No problem i have not gotten to planting it as i havent found a spot to plant it. lol my mom doesnt want it too close to the house because of how tall it will grow. but yes i will make sure that those are growing straight and away from the trunk. :)

Back