NOS never gassed Poulan 655BP........ My Holy Grail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so either. What year is that 61? Elux bought Pioneer in 80 closed em in 84. Pioneer/Partner was from 84-88, and Poulan Pro begain in 89.

This is from my poor memory, so I might have it wrong, but I can look it up again if needed.

While I was talking to Lee, I think he said there was a date on the carb. Might not be the original though, or tell the true age of the saw itself.

While I was talking to Lee, I think he said there was a date on the carb. Might not be the original though, or tell the true age of the saw itself.

Well while Acres site is not accurate enough for me to bet money on the info there, a quick look there shows the P-61 was produced between 1980-1982 so that would fall into the time frame for Pioneer to have been under Elux owner ship.

So I would say that the EX could have stood for Electolux. I'll check my PP655 and see what it says on it when I get a chance.

That really is a boss saw, man, what a beaut.

Once again, I would REALLY like to find out what suit or suits decided to near completely destroy poulan as regards putting out pro saws. You look at something like that and go WTH happened??

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I've never seen, much less run a classic saw like this. Please help me to understand your passion. I thought the reason saws like this went away was the AV was inferior to modern saws, perhaps not.

IMG_7237.jpg

Thanks

I've never seen, much less run a classic saw like this. Please help me to understand your passion. I thought the reason saws like this went away was the AV was inferior to modern saws, perhaps not.

Thanks

They went away for lots of reasons - and being on the forefront of technology is the biggest. More power, less cc's, better porting designs, better AV, less weight, smaller overall size, better fuel economy.....

Doesn't mean the oldies aren't absolutely awesome machines, but from a usability standpoint they just can't keep up with the new guys.

Forgive the newbie question, but I need to know... The NOS thing I get - very cool, but what was so special about that model?

Forgive the newbie question, but I need to know... The NOS thing I get - very cool, but what was so special about that model?

98cc's, One of the best design's, Lightest weight,
Balenced saws in that era. Along with brute power.
And on a collectors stand point, Every collector needs
to own one of the big P series saws.

Lee

Very slick Ed. I'm glad it's all complete. I would never fuel it.........never ever.

I would like to know more about the boost port and if it's something I could add to my P50. :)

Very slick Ed. I'm glad it's all complete. I would never fuel it.........never ever.

I would like to know more about the boost port and if it's something I could add to my P50. :)

Randy, you can go to uTube and type in "Poulan boost port" and there are some pretty good pictures of the cylinder/piston layout. Might help you decide if it would work on that slick P50 you own.

Here's some pics to show the difference. You can do it to the P50, but you'd have to weld up the area outside the jug to give you enough meat to cut the port in. You can see the BP bulge in the pics between the coil mounts. I'm putting a boost port jug on one of my P62's. The 655bp piston will not fit into a P62. They actually made the wrist pin smaller on the 655, but they enlarged the crank/bearings. It's simple to trim the piston into a BP piston. With the thin rings on the P62 piston, and the boost port, it should be better than a 655BP.

BP jug on the left, P62 on the right.

IMG_7250.jpg

You can see the BP bulge on the right jug.

IMG_7254.jpg

BP piston on the right, P62 on the left.

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7252.jpg

I also noticed that the Mahle jugs have larger factory port openings than the Gilardoni jugs. Pioneer used both.

So........it's sorta kinda like a finger port. I can work with that. I would need an "extra" P50 jug before I tried grinding too much on the one I have.

It could be that the P50/P60 relationship is like the Husky 365/372......in that the smaller bore gives you more meat to grind in fingers.

Now I'm thinking.......that could be dangerous.

So........it's sorta kinda like a finger port. I can work with that. I would need an "extra" P50 jug before I tried grinding too much on the one I have.

It could be that the P50/P60 relationship is like the Husky 365/372......in that the smaller bore gives you more meat to grind in fingers.

Now I'm thinking.......that could be dangerous.

I'll check tomorrow if I have any extra P50 jugs.

Back