NOS Stihl crank seals maybe???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Got a question for the more experienced folks than me. On my first Stihl rebuild. An MS290. Model year 2011. Yes... not really worth the time, money or effort but it is for my uncles brother. Was said uncles saw but he passed away 9 yrs ago. So a bit sentimental value I guess.

Was gonna assemble today but took out the new Stihl brand crank seals and see a bit of difference. Do I have some really old NOS seals here for like an 029 or are they the wrong seals? Both seals have the OEM Stihl brand name and part number but differ in construction. Would I be ok to use these "old style" seals or should I get the style like what came off it originally?

Old seal on left and new on right. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• MS290 seal 3.jpg
    MS290 seal 3.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 15
  • MS290 seal 4.jpg
    MS290 seal 4.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 14
  • MS290 seal 2.jpg
    MS290 seal 2.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 13
  • MS290 seal 1.jpg
    MS290 seal 1.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 15
It is best to split cylinder and use original ones on the left. Press in ones don’t work that well in the long term.

Yeah I thought something was up. Ordered the correct style, (on left), cuz saw is completely tore down and apart. Funny you mention the seal installing tool cuz I bought that thinking these seals needed to be installed at a certain depth. But I see stops on the cyl. and pan castings. So the press in style are like a quick sleeve or seal.

I should note, not the actual part numbers on seal I saw, but seal specs/dimensions. DOH!

I learned something today! Thank you very much for the reply and info.

Back