Nose Sprocket Rescue - Illustrated!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In another thread, a member asked about saving a guide bar after hitting his chaps - the nose sprocket seized up:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/help-can-i-save-the-bar.256137/#post-4785989

At a recent GTG we did a chaps test/demonstration that also seized up a couple of nose sprockets. I followed my own advice from that other thread to save these bars, and took pictures along the way. Only difference is that these are both Oregon-style bars, without the additional side shims that the STIHL bars have.

1. I drove the rivets out on both bars using my chain breaker. The Husky 5 rivet tip (3/8" pitch) had dimples on one side indicating the direction they were installed. On the Oregon single rivet bar (3/8" low profile) I had to guess which side looked factory flat, and which side looked peened over.

BarSprocket4.jpg

2. Slide out the sprocket assembly on an old towel in case any of the tiny bearings try to escape (26 in this Husky 5 rivet bar; 15 in the Oregon single rivet bar)! Sliding them out on thin cardstock (e.g. 3X5 card) helps to keep things together. You can see how the protective fibers from the chaps are wound right in with the bearings, and are not just between the sprocket and the inside of the guide bar.

BarSprocket6.jpg

3. This is all it takes!

BarSprocket8.jpg

4. Single rivet bar for reference. Notice the difference in the size and construction between the sprockets for the standard 3/8" and 3/8" low profile pitch chains (I should have overlaid them when they were out!).

BarSprocket9.jpg

5A. Zip-lock bags are your friends! Took the parts like this to the parts store.
BarSprocket10.jpg

5B. While the nose sprockets were out, I dressed the rails and de-burred the edges. Much easier to do like this. I was also able to de-burr the actual nose (with a ScotchBrite wheel) with the sprocket removed.

6. Reassembly is the reverse. Slide the card all the way in to keep the little bearings from dropping through the rivet holes. It may help to pry apart the bar tip with a small screwdriver.

BarSprocket12.jpg

7. I would have preferred to use new rivets, but my dealer would have to order them, and these had pressed out pretty cleanly (no metal break away, like what frequently happens with chain rivets). So some gentle persuasion with a ball-peen hammer and a small anvil.

BarSprocket13.jpg

8. Same thing for the 5 rivet sprocket. Once the sprocket is close, a little manipulation with a scratch awl helps align the other holes. Small nails can be used to hold things in place while setting the first rivets.

BarSprocket14.jpg

9. Done. Lubed the bearings up with some light oil (3-in-One) to keep them happy until used.

BarSprocket15.jpg

Philbert

Oregon and STIHL both sell replacement sprockets for some of these types of bars (without the replaceable sprocket tips). According to my dealer, they are not commonly purchased parts. And the price for the STIHL sprocket kit is quite high, so it is usually close to buying a new bar by the time you pay the dealer's shop rate to replace it.

But it could be a good deal if you do it yourself - the nose sprocket usually wears out before the bar rails.

And cleaning the sprocket on a good bar can be a really good deal, compared to replacing the bar. I think that Bailey's stocks the sprocket rivets (?), and I assume that most dealers can order them, if you have the time to wait. I used some hardware store rivets on a neighbor's cheap electric saw that ate some string, but I would want to use the flush, OEM rivets on a good saw.

Philbert

Are the rivets aluminum or steel?

I think they are some type of soft, steel alloy. Did not feel like aluminum. A key feature seems to be the very thin head which allow them to sit almost flush with the bar. The holes in the bars were not noticeably chamfered/tapered.

Philbert

If you cut your chaps with a saw and jam up your nose sprocket I'd rather mount it on my wall to remind me about being stupid.

Nice work though Philbert, as always. Unfortunately apart from kevlar etc jamming them up these bars are basically throw away jobs by the time the nose sprocket needs replacing.

Thanks for the demonstration.

Now I see how to swap nose sprockets in order to change chain pitch. It seems I always find a super bargin on a bar but it is an odd pitch for the mount pattern.

You don't have to do this if it's a replaceable sprocket nosed bar. Just change the whole nose.

Fabulous thread, Philbert. :clap:

Now all you have to do is tell me an easy way to modify a used 050 gauge bar that is in good shape and worn to 055 and almost 056. I'd like to groove it out to 057 so that I can use a bunch of 057 chain that I already have on board. The nose is already at 057. Is there a bar dressing tool out there that I can use that will do that?

. . . tell me an easy way to modify a used 050 gauge bar that is in good shape and worn to 055 and almost 056. I'd like to groove it out to 057 . . .

There was a product sold called a 'Barshop' that included an abrasive grooving/regrooving wheel, and there have been a few threads here on AS about it. It is no longer manufactured, but several are still floating around, and some parts are still available for them: http://www.specialtymotorsmfg.com/probarshop.htm

Srcarr52 made up his own bar groove grinder (starts in around 4:00):

A few brave souls have done this with an abrasive blade in a table saw (clean out the sawdust first!).

The 'easy way' would be to find a shop that still has a Barshop, or to make friends with one of these guys already doing this!

Philbert

There was a product sold called a 'Barshop' that included an abrasive grooving/regrooving wheel, and there have been a few threads here on AS about it: http://www.specialtymotorsmfg.com/probarshop.htm

Srcarr52 made up his own bar groove grinder (starts in around 4:00):

A few brave souls have done this with an abrasive blade in a table saw (clean out the sawdust first!). The 'easy way' would be to make friends with one of these guys already doing this!

Philbert

Thanks for the links and advice. I have one more idea, only because I only need to widen it a little over 0.001". I have some really tough strap sand "paper", similar to a 4" belt sander belt. About 150 grit should do it and 10" long. I could cut that in half lengthwise and then fold that in half to make a "file". Add a strip or two of file folder stock inside as a shim, and file away along the entire length of the bar groove.

That might take a few hours, but I could watch the Yankees or Twins play while doing it. WDYT?

Back