Not a good idea to cut in the wind.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just want to share a couple pics of the wind making a mess of my log pile the other day. Had gusts up to 50mph. Snapped this pine in half and as you see the top landed right on top of my log pile. Had kicked around the idea of testing a couple of 346's we rebuilt for a tree company, but I hate working in the wind, so never went. But had I gone, and been there at the wrong time, OUCH! Could have been the end right there. IMG_0046.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

I hear you, Monday I came home from work to an uprooted standing dead Ash tree that fell over my south fence. By happenstance not only did it narrowly miss some overhead lines, but it was so entangled in wild grape that it must have slowed the fall because it only popped one fence panel. It was sticking out almost horizontal over the road. I grabbed my little 42cc Echo and cut it down, dragged it off the road and then cut a trail. The wind was still gusting so I was not going to temp fate...

pY7anf7.jpg

jy2v3gg.jpg

I hear you, Monday I came home from work to an uprooted standing dead Ash tree that fell over my south fence. By happenstance not only did it narrowly miss some overhead lines, but it was so entangled in wild grape that it must have slowed the fall because it only popped one fence panel. It was sticking out almost horizontal over the road. I grabbed my little 42cc Echo and cut it down, dragged it off the road and then cut a trail. The wind was still gusting so I was not going to temp fate...

pY7anf7.jpg

jy2v3gg.jpg

Somebody over there builds a pretty stout fence. :)

High winds in upstate NY? Can someone up there tell me if the outhouse at my camp in St. Lawrence county blew over again?
Mount Washington recorded a 171 mph gust, but the all-time record is over 200 mph. Imagine the wind chill if the temp was at 50 below. Gasp!

Somebody over there builds a pretty stout fence. :)

Ha ha.... oh man, if you could only see it in person... I'm surprised the tree didn't smash through it as if it were made from toothpicks... it's pretty flimsy and was shoddily thrown together by the previous owners. The root mass and snare of wild grape vines kind of had it in suspension, even after I cut it down. I went back on Wed to cut it all up and salvage some firewood, and I gave the tangle of vines a swipe with my machete and the upper trunk fell another 6-8".

Latest posts

Back