Not another 346XP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you a parrot or does he have one of your saws? Maybe this is just a ported 346 thread and he has to be brought up? There are plenty of places to have saw work done. Choose and wait.
Orrrrrrrrrr.......maybe i was responding to Brad's post above mine?[emoji6]

No more time and money than any other ported saw, except the extra $100-$125 for the 357 parts. Like has been made clear here, it's not required for building a super strong 346.

As far as reliability goes, I have these saws out there, built just like this one, being used daily in a professional environment for several years now. Don't underestimate these 346s. Sounds like you just haven't yet run a good one yet, lol :)

Right, add $125 to a, what, $200 port job? Then the price of the saw on top of that? Hell, I could buy an 046 for that kind of money!
The 346 I built, then sold, I got a call two hours after they got it wanting to know what I'd done! The new owner compared it to his EHP saw and mine was just a tick slower.
It had no torque and I guess I'm ham fisted?
I've run a few others since, they just don't suit me, I want wood on the trailer, not cookies. Also to the point, with my back issues, that just looking at my 046 hurts! I want a smaller saw that can fell, limb and Buck that is light and powerful. But, I just can't see putting that much money into that saw to make it what it should have been to start with.

My ears are shot. Saw looks great and obviously runs well, but I can't hear any "4 stroking" sound at WOT.

Also to the point, with my back issues, that just looking at my 046 hurts! I want a smaller saw that can fell, limb and Buck that is light and powerful. But, I just can't see putting that much money into that saw to make it what it should have been to start with.
Which is exactly why I love a 346 so much. Tighten the squish, mod the muffler, and you would have a saw that would out perform a huge % of the saws used for firewood. Porting simply takes an already fantastic saw to a complete different level. I run a 20" B&C on mine to further save my back. It'll handle every bit of it buried in hardwood too. If you don't like them, fine. But you're not arguing with me. You're arguing with the majority of those who use and know saws. To each their own.

So, $300ish for a saw, plus whatever parts it needs (hey, they are all used now), $200 to port it, $125 for a carb to make it run, we are at $625 without issues.
$750 I can buy a new 562XP and run 19-28" bars, with ease.
$250-300 I can get a used 5100, then about $20? in Dremel bits and I can run a 20" bar with 3/8" chain buried in Hedge all day.
I just don't see the return for the investment! I only paid $600 for my ported big bore 046 PHO! I assure you it WILL out cut that 346!
I get the 346 is "endeared", but look at the big picture, what does it take to make it perform, what does it cost? Then look at other alternatives in that price range and see how much more versatility those other options give you for the same price.

People mod things for their own reasons and desires... Since when it modding anything an "investement" to expect a return on other than the owners satisfaction??

I have a highly modded ATC250r, ESR 350 big bore, PORTED (egad!) for mid-top, 108 octane or higher dome, and a truckload of other supporting mods. The only return I expect on my thousands invested is my satisfaction and uncontrollable grin when I snap the front end skyward at 50mph and grab 2 more gears.

I have a stock 346 NE and am VERY happy with it. I can tell by the sound of Mister Sneller's 346 that it is running a fair bit hotter than mine.

You don't like it, that's fine. Why are you giving this guy crap on his thread and trying to discredit him?

It was 4-stroking before each and every cut, although much less before the last cut. It was a constant 4-stroke in the tach at the end. It doesn't 2-stroke until somewhere above 15K.

Thanks. My ears really are shot, can't hear it, they sound smooth, not hearing the misfire sound. Explains why all my saws are running so rich, just I don't know when to stop on leaning them out, so I don't go very far with that..

Guess I'll buy a tach and just let them stay a little rich.

So, $300ish for a saw, plus whatever parts it needs (hey, they are all used now), $200 to port it, $125 for a carb to make it run, we are at $625 without issues.
$750 I can buy a new 562XP and run 19-28" bars, with ease.
$250-300 I can get a used 5100, then about $20? in Dremel bits and I can run a 20" bar with 3/8" chain buried in Hedge all day.
I just don't see the return for the investment! I only paid $600 for my ported big bore 046 PHO! I assure you it WILL out cut that 346!
I get the 346 is "endeared", but look at the big picture, what does it take to make it perform, what does it cost? Then look at other alternatives in that price range and see how much more versatility those other options give you for the same price.
All that isn't needed for a good runnin, strong 346. I ran a stock one for 9 years because of a bad back and cut 10-15 cords a year, plus thinning and logging. I ported it myself at no cost and that just made it stronger. No need to spend the extra for the 357 carb, it's just an option...

I also have a NE that I ran stock for 3 years before having it ported. Good before, great after.

Got another one with just the squish tightened and a MM, no porting. Plenty of torque. It will smoke any stock 50cc out there...

Back