Not another 346XP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, $300ish for a saw, plus whatever parts it needs (hey, they are all used now), $200 to port it, $125 for a carb to make it run, we are at $625 without issues.
$750 I can buy a new 562XP and run 19-28" bars, with ease.
$250-300 I can get a used 5100, then about $20? in Dremel bits and I can run a 20" bar with 3/8" chain buried in Hedge all day.
I just don't see the return for the investment! I only paid $600 for my ported big bore 046 PHO! I assure you it WILL out cut that 346!
I get the 346 is "endeared", but look at the big picture, what does it take to make it perform, what does it cost? Then look at other alternatives in that price range and see how much more versatility those other options give you for the same price.
It is an opinion you are completely free to say.
If you believe that their modification is too pricey, well, you can actually do it yourself.
Brad, Randy, Monkethree have had some very good 346 threads, where they have shown step by step how they modify 346.

Brad also have absolutely right in everything he says in this thread. You can make small modifications to the base plus muffler and get a nice increase in performance, costs nothing except a little time.
I did it with 242, was very pleased and found out that I had to modify 2147 (346OE), modified base, muffler and an easy porting and were very pleased with the end result. To me it seemed like they went half class up in performance.

Again, point missed.
I'm actually not bashing Brad on this one, I'm bashing the saw itself. I think it's highly overrated, I've heard the NE is better, I don't know, nor do I care, to be completely honest. I know fully well what goes into porting a saw, I'm not even complaining about the $200 to port it! I've ported a number of saws, in fact none of mine are stock, I "get it". As for the dirt toys, yes, gonna play, gotta pay! I have a buddy that does nothing but work on them. Again, I "get it".
I just don't get the stigma with this saw! I've built several 350's that I love, I wish I could get my hands on a 353 to see what it would do with some work, but I doubt that will ever happen. I think the 357 is a pretty kicking saw in it's class, I wish I had the money to buy a new 562, or even the real need for it, but I don't.
I think anyone that buys a MS362 needs their head checked, and anyone that spends that kind of money to get one ported, well, they need institutionalized! So the 346 isn't my only problem!
But to spend that kind of money on a 50cc saw, to make it run, like it should have, I just don't get it. I know there are better options out there, that can be built for a lot less money. The MS260 and so on, not being viable options either! It's not a Brad thing, it's not a Husky thing, it's not a Stihl thing, it's about finding the best of the class, and IMO Stihl and Husky both dropped the ball in that area. I'm hearing better things of the new 550xp, but not enough I'd buy one.
I could go on, but no point.
Just think a bit about the price, then the justification of these little beasts. I've seen pipped 5100's that could scream and out cut a 70cc saw, but at what cost, and how practical is it at the end of the day? Sure, I'd love one, but it's not going to help me in the big picture because I can't fell with the silly thing! A $625 plus 346xp, kinda falls into that same catagory for me. That's a lot of money I could put elsewhere. Hell, that's a pretty good start on a new AR if you get down to it!

Again, point missed.
I'm actually not bashing Brad on this one, I'm bashing the saw itself. I think it's highly overrated, I've heard the NE is better, I don't know, nor do I care, to be completely honest. I know fully well what goes into porting a saw, I'm not even complaining about the $200 to port it! I've ported a number of saws, in fact none of mine are stock, I "get it". As for the dirt toys, yes, gonna play, gotta pay! I have a buddy that does nothing but work on them. Again, I "get it".
I just don't get the stigma with this saw! I've built several 350's that I love, I wish I could get my hands on a 353 to see what it would do with some work, but I doubt that will ever happen. I think the 357 is a pretty kicking saw in it's class, I wish I had the money to buy a new 562, or even the real need for it, but I don't.
I think anyone that buys a MS362 needs their head checked, and anyone that spends that kind of money to get one ported, well, they need institutionalized! So the 346 isn't my only problem!
But to spend that kind of money on a 50cc saw, to make it run, like it should have, I just don't get it. I know there are better options out there, that can be built for a lot less money. The MS260 and so on, not being viable options either! It's not a Brad thing, it's not a Husky thing, it's not a Stihl thing, it's about finding the best of the class, and IMO Stihl and Husky both dropped the ball in that area. I'm hearing better things of the new 550xp, but not enough I'd buy one.
Just think a bit about the price, then the justification of these little beasts. I've seen pipped 5100's that could scream and out cut a 70cc saw, but at what cost, and how practical is it at the end of the day? Sure, I'd love one, but it's not going to help me in the big picture because I can't fell with the silly thing! A $625 plus 346xp, kinda falls into that same catagory for me. That's a lot of money I could put elsewhere. Hell, that's a pretty good start on a new AR if you get down to it!
You gutta compare it against other in the same class, and if you do the 346 is not overrated. Out of the box both 346OE and NE deliver, simple modds make them even better, and if you take it the whole way you ending up to have a neat monster in your hands.
There is reasons why neither Husky or Stihl sending out those hotrods to the marked, the most important reason is EPA/EU.
They could have made the most marveleous chainsaw, but it doesnt mather as long they dont get the stamp for approved. Fuel consumption and polution is a big thing nowadays, and it will be worse in the future.

A bit on the side line, but just showing how polution issues change a decission in a land.
Back in the 2000s they recommended Norwegians to buy diesel car, less polution and low fuel consumption was the main reason.
Nowadays, in specific winter days you are not allowed to drive a diesel car inside the main city here due the extra polution they provide.
Thats how long the society is willing to go.

Sawinredneck, we've had this conversation before. You need to run a 50cc NE 346xp to see what all the fuss is about. I like the OE 45cc, but it does not like a heavy hand. A well broken-in NE has more torque and can be leaned on harder.

You keep mentioning the 350, it's a good saw for a plastic case saw. But the NE 346 has more power, noticeably. A 350 is anemic by comparison... Also the 353 is a pretty good firewood saw, but I like a 346 better.

Again, porting isn't needed to have a strong running 346xp... But it's a good option for substantial gains.

Sawinredneck, we've had this conversation before. You need to run a 50cc NE 346xp to see what all the fuss is about. I like the OE 45cc, but it does not like a heavy hand. A well broken-in NE has more torque and can be leaned on harder.

You keep mentioning the 350, it's a good saw for a plastic case saw. But the NE 346 has more power, noticeably. A 350 is anemic by comparison... Also the 353 is a pretty good firewood saw, but I like a 346 better.

Again, porting isn't needed to have a strong running 346xp... But it's a good option for substantial gains.

Owned a 350, now own a 346 NE... Completely agree with this statement.

Would still have the 350 if the plastic case didn't give me trouble. Otherwise a good running saw... But no 346, not by a damn sight.

Again, point missed.
You do realize that we could be having this same argument about the AR15.
All of this is based on your opinion, and that's fine.
I don't care for the AR15 platform. As far as I'm concerned that is the biggest waste of money on a weapon. There are a lot of people that will disagree with me and that's fine.
Just do what makes you happy.

Thanks, Brian

While I don't have a 346 saw that Brad did yet! The very first ported 346 oe from Dozer Dan is in the top five favorites.:chainsaw:
Good taste in saws, and good taste in pie. That key lime that you got from that gal in NY a year or two ago (Naples, I thought but could be wrong) was out of site!

Sorry, but I have to back out of this for a while, Spring seems to try and kill me. I'm in indescribable pain, the meds, or booze, seem to do little to nothing to ease it, so it's in everyone's best interest I bow out for a bit.

Nice triple my friend.

09327fd79774336d05bb55d2860b397f.jpg

Sorry, but I have to back out of this for a while, Spring seems to try and kill me. I'm in indescribable pain, the meds, or booze, seem to do little to nothing to ease it, so it's in everyone's best interest I bow out for a bit.
Well, this might explain your odd posts. Get well my friend...

Back