Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The abilities of the super split is impressive. But if that little bearing under the rack can bring an entire session to a halt with such little use, something is going to have to be done about it.

5f60b860ee430eb94f78394051209594.jpg

I'm also going to send this one to Paul. Something is out of alignment. This is the top of the rack that rides along the cam followers when engaging the rack. You can see on the left side of the rack there is more contact with the follower than the right.

7fcd4e86ee259a9bd562c07eeffe4285.jpg

Which is also supported by the wear on those followers themselves.

5b2b65e4a48e2fb9677777fc17954828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The abilities of the super split is impressive. But if that little bearing under the rack can bring an entire session to a halt with such little use, something is going to have to be done about it.

I'm also going to send this one to Paul. Something is out of alignment. This is the top of the rack that rides along the cam followers when engaging the rack. You can see on the left side of the rack there is more contact with the follower than the right.

Cam followers usually only wear when bearings lock up. I don't know anything about a SS but are there grease fittings for the bearings?

No grease fittings and the followers that come on the SS are all unsealed.

I pulled the smaller one yesterday and let it soak in PB blaster because it was locked up. It worked for a while but eventually seized up altogether.

The only one I'm having an issue with is the 7/8 that sits under the rack keeping upward pressure on the head on of the rack, which would normally equated to the push block on a hydraulic splitter.

Seems there are sealed options in non stainless, but they are crowned...

I wonder if that would cause any issues. It doesn't appear the crown is severe...

I have not found a sealed bearing to replace the cam follower. I do have extras. Mostly, if I'm working with wet or snowy wood, I spray with DW-40 during, or right after the session. Sometimes it is not enough, so I swap them out and give them a soak. It is a pain but that's just the way it is.

I have a loop of rope to throw over the wedge and push plate to hold the ram out. Then just wedge the spring steel enough to lift the cam follower off the beam, pull the cam follower bolt, and replace. Just takes a few minutes really. It usually requires tapping the bearing on one side or the other to re-align it, to get it to track on the re-tract stroke.

I have not found a sealed bearing to replace the cam follower. I do have extras. Mostly, if I'm working with wet or snowy wood, I spray with DW-40 during, or right after the session. Sometimes it is not enough, so I swap them out and give them a soak. It is a pain but that's just the way it is.

I have a loop of rope to throw over the wedge and push plate to hold the ram out. Then just wedge the spring steel enough to lift the cam follower off the beam, pull the cam follower bolt, and replace. Just takes a few minutes really. It usually requires tapping the bearing on one side or the other to re-align it, to get it to track on the re-tract stroke.

Ive kept it lubed both during and after splitting. This one I even soaked for an hour and got it freed up only to have it seize right up.

As for keeping the rack extended, if you pull it out and then lift the handle it will stay out on its own.

Two things (for what it's worth?):

-I about choked on the price. However if it works then it's worth it.
-Second, I am assuming stainless would be a harder metal than the beam. So if the bearing fails, or can not roll because of crap on the beam, the beam material may wear faster than the bearing material. I have heard people say they have had to fill/weld their grooved beam after a period of years. That's something I hope to avoid.

Two things (for what it's worth?):

-I about choked on the price. However if it works then it's worth it.

As did I..... But given the environment its designed for, I wonder if its sealed better. I may call Smith tomorrow and ask.

-Second, I am assuming stainless would be a harder metal than the beam. So if the bearing fails, or can not roll because of crap on the beam, the beam material may wear faster than the bearing material. I have heard people say they have had to fill/weld their grooved beam after a period of years. That's something I hope to avoid.

I'm wondering how its possible to have this bearing stop rolling and not have issues with the rack returning. Mine wouldn't return at all with the bearing frozen unless I push it. Couple that with the fact corrosion would be a non issue....

Pretty crappy looking welds. Looking forward to what you find out.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Maybe Sandhill will cut you a deal for that Timberwolf he has for sale...

I have never really looked at a Super split before, I have heard you guys saying the bearings were the weak point on the machine. But to only get 12 hours out of a supposedly commercial piece of equipment for what you pay for one would really have me ticked off. Hopefully they work with you on a solution.

Back