Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I see there is a "crowned" version of these bearings...

You have a part number?

My double small sealed bearing locked up, pulled the seal off the side of them and they were full of crud. Ran down to my bearing store and he only had one of the sealed in stock, so I grabbed it and used washers to make up the difference of the second bearing. It's working fine now, just looking for future ideas.

The Smith bearings are yr 7/8 (1 1/4) x or xc. X is sealed and xc is sealed and crowned. Mcgill is either cyr or ccyr (non crowned and crowned respectively) and then the size, 7/8 or 1 1/4.

I haven't yet installed the crowned bearings due to time constraints. Hopefully today if I get out of work in time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It's not all that often something simple smacks one upside the head and it actually works. Today was one of those days.

I needed a way to speed this up and it not be so messy. The syringe worked perfectly to push out the old grease while filling with the corn head grease. There isn't a lot of grease in these cam followers from the manufacturer.

First picture is the bearing right off the splitter that I greased 25 hours ago. Second is after being regreased. Third is one of the new bearings showing that the corn head grease is clearly going into the bearing.

1e9b830f57aa2462a6bf5f94db42b406.jpg
ef4372bd10f54e36d613a75727973596.jpg
0e2f51725d7ee6ee6ae2b9063735f0a0.jpg

sent from a field

It's not all that often something simple smacks one upside the head and it actually works. Today was one of those days.

I needed a way to speed this up and it not be so messy. The syringe worked perfectly to push out the old grease while filling with the corn head grease. There isn't a lot of grease in these cam followers from the manufacturer.

First picture is the bearing right off the splitter that I greased 25 hours ago. Second is after being regreased. Third is one of the new bearings showing that the corn head grease is clearly going into the bearing.

sent from a field
just

sent from a field
how's them new bearings and grease working out ?

And winter has set in...
Time for an electric SS set up inside Casey.

As this thread is called Not Impressed, here is an update on the firewood conveyor.
I'm still screwing with hydraulic motor alignment on my 'Built-Rite' conveyor. Been doing other stuff, as no hurry to get out cutting and splitting at the moment. Today I need to elongate the 1/2" mounting holes in 1/2" plate about 1/8" for up/down adjustment. Hopefully this will be the last adjustment to dial in a double roller chain coupler. I've drilled and tapped several holes for other adjustments of the 'tube in (sloppy) tube' configuration. Off to town to get some hand files, or maybe a hole saw, before removing the mount again.
Margaret helped get the conveyor inside to work on. Had to raise the tongue enough to tip it to clear the overhead door. Reversing the drop hitch on the duelly, and letting some air out of the tires did the trick, and we cleared by 3/4". Much improved work conditions.
Edit: added photos.IMG_5552.jpgIMG_5550.jpgIMG_5553.jpgIMG_5554.jpg

Finished it up. Ended up getting an air die grinder and making glitter size needles of metal. It worked extremely well. The overhung load adapter (and the hydraulic motor) had a step flange which the mount was drilled for to index it. That also required some grinding to allow the unit to drop a heavy 1/16". Never used a die grinder before. Quite the tool. Still have to test run the conveyor. It also needs idler wheels for the bottom section of the belt to run on. These are also not serviceable as they are captured between two welded washers on a 5/8" steel rod, three wheels per rod. They are hard rubber wheels without bearings. Another design issue that needs addressing after ten years of light use. If I ever buy another conveyor I'll have a much better idea what to look for, especially if it is attached to a processor.

9BBBB545-2D72-4E08-A578-DD171D1DAF90.jpeg CA0CBDC3-F594-411A-A851-0E0809CC1775.jpeg

Figured I would share the idea that I came up with after reading through this very informative thread. To grease the bearing under the rack gear that has a hole in it, simply use a chainsaw bar tip grease gun that most saw shops have. I think I actually got mine for free a few years back. Works great and is simple but I’m not sure about reloading it with different types of grease but I’m sure it’s possible. This trick has the thinking about the mods that the YouTube guy did with the grease fittings.

Love my SS!!

My bolt came pre drilled. It’s about 4 years old. I use the straw that came with my spray grease can.

Latest posts

Back