Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update and back on topic. Ran cords 19,20 & 21 through the splitter and the bearing is still rolling just as good as the day I put it on there.

Might get the new wood flooring in the house wrapped up today so I can get away to the woodyard and get another cord or two split this weekend! That's if the wife does not expect me to get the subway tile backsplash installed this weekend. Ugh, I have a new found respect for flooring installers!

I haven't put the roller bearings in yet. But the new cam follower worked like new. I may tinker with it in a bit once I get the neighbors mess cleaned up.

Sent from a field

OK, so I stuck 2 bearings in side by side..... Going to need some very thin washers/shims between the outside of the dual bearings and the holder.

Very thin....

Can you take a "D" shim the size that you need to gap the space and shape it into a washer?

I'll have to google D shim. But it's not to fill a gap, it's to create one so the sides on the bearings will clear the holder. Just enough to turn.

Sent from a field

Hum, that's odd that you would need that on yours.

What about just not tightening the nut down super tight. Mine has a locknut on the bolt to keep it from coming loose.

I know what you mean about flooring. When I got this laid, I still had to sand it and then finish it. Darn slave driving women anyway.

I am so thankful we bought the pre-finished hickory flooring!

I do need to go into the bedrooms now though and pull up the carpet to refinish the original wood floors that are in there. That ain't happening for a while though!

Also did not get up to split more wood yesterday or even today. I was voluntold Subway tile backsplash needs to be completed.

Good thing my buddy is a contractor and just keeps dropping off the tools that I need and don't have. Yesterday he dropped off a $800 10" Dewalt table sliding wet tile saw. :drinkingcoffee:

Hum, that's odd that you would need that on yours.

What about just not tightening the nut down super tight. Mine has a locknut on the bolt to keep it from coming loose.

I didn't tighten the nut down that much. Just enough to get it into the nylon.

Could just be differences in manufacturing tolerance on the holder. The cam follower fits pretty tight. I guess I could also widen the holder a little.

Sent from a field

I didn't tighten the nut down that much. Just enough to get it into the nylon.

Could just be differences in manufacturing tolerance on the holder. The cam follower fits pretty tight. I guess I could also widen the holder a little.

Sent from a field

You know, come to think about it mine might have been spread open a little when I tried to use a piece of snowmobile track slider (UHMW) instead of a bearing. I seem to remember cutting it a little to wide and needing to hammer it into place. Maybe that spread the holder open just a little.

Well, I was able to sneak away from house chores yesterday and get up to the woodyard long enough to get cord #22 split up. First pull of the handle and I could tell that the bearing's were not turning as it did not want to return without help. Gunk had frozen between the top of the bearings and the holder. Took my pick-a-roon and levered it up to clean the frozen gunk out. Bearings were rolling fine after that.

Cord 23 split up today, and had to deal with the frozen gunk between the bearing and holder again. I couldn't find anything to leverage the bearing up to clean out the frozen gunk, so I just poured a capful of mixed gas onto the beam with the rack pulled all the way out. Lit that on fire and let that heat everything up enough to melt the frozen goo. Worked like a charm and freed it up.

Thinking for SS's like mine that sit outside in the elements, notching out the top of that holder above the bearing maybe helpful. Clearances are just to tight and it does not take much to lock up that bearing. Next time I have it home, I will try to cut it out with a cutter.

Wish I had the time you do. I keep bringing wood home but don't have time to start processing it.

db25a077e716081bed3579f4b7ac494c.jpg

c39854303b4a7009544278e1c6cfbfdc.jpg

I'm still trying to start my pole barn. Another weekend of crappy weather will push it off, again. And I can't get the lean too freed up to start stacking next years wood under it until the roof is on the pole barn.

Sent from a field

Wish I had the time you do. I keep bringing wood home but don't have time to start processing it

This firewood bundle business is just a side job to my 8am-4:30pm M-F job, and coaching both my boys baseballs teams and one son's football team. :crazy2:

Actually I am on bereavement leave as my grandfather passed away. Thought of no better way to celebrate his life than to do what he loved to do and got me into.

Wish I had the time you do. I keep bringing wood home but don't have time to start processing it.

db25a077e716081bed3579f4b7ac494c.jpg

c39854303b4a7009544278e1c6cfbfdc.jpg

I'm still trying to start my pole barn. Another weekend of crappy weather will push it off, again. And I can't get the lean too freed up to start stacking next years wood under it until the roof is on the pole barn.

Sent from a field
If you need any help out there let me know, I'm right here neighbor :).
Hoping to get a pole barn going myself.

This firewood bundle business is just a side job to my 8am-4:30pm M-F job, and coaching both my boys baseballs teams and one son's football team. :crazy2:

Actually I am on bereavement leave as my grandfather passed away. Thought of no better way to celebrate his life than to do what he loved to do and got me into.

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I lost mine to young, to young to appreciate what I lost. I sure do miss him.

Sent from a field

Know what these piles are missing?

Black locust. Maybe we can work out a trade. Shagbark for locust.

Sent from a field
I can get shag at a buddies property that was select cut 2 summers ago, should be nice by now.
You should know I ain't coming of the locust :sweet:, but with piles like that who cares if you have any locust :).
If you need a hand bucking that and splitting let me know, also done a roof or two when I had my roofing business ;).
How much do you figure is there?

Thinking for SS's like mine that sit outside in the elements,
Just read the last couple posts.
Have not thought this out to completion, but....

Bolt a bracket to the push plate sled using the existing six bolt holes.
The bracket would be above and behind the push plate.
An L-bracket would extend above the rack a couple inches.
A stiff spring would hold the rack up off the pinion gear from ABOVE the rack, verses a spring pushing up from below.
The bonnet would need to be modified some.

Now...the "not thought out" part.
There would be down pressure, or weight, on the push plate sled.
There is a brass plate in there, but something would need to be added to reduce friction.
Bearings on the top flange. (same problem as before)
Bearings on top of lower flange. (same problem...dirt and crude)

Guess I'll put the bonnet back on:drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back