Nothing But Respect For You Guys....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
After nagging my wife, she finally agreed to let me cut down 4 big trees that were nearly dead and dangerously close to our house and pool.

Each tree was 30+" in diameter. I know that small for most of you guys, but for a hobby farmer like me these are big.

Anyway, I was pretty excited to get out my new 3120xp as I have yet to do any work with it, and even though the 42" bar was overkill, it was still a blast.

But, as much fun as it was and as excited I was to fell the trees, man was it exhausting. I know I'm not in the best shape but geez!

I had to take a breather between each tree I dropped. My heart was pounding, I was sweating like crazy, and this was just dropping them.

In my defense, I did have covid a few weeks ago and it just seems like my energy hasn't fully returned.

Either way, my point is, I dont know how you guys do it day in and day out.

Felling was yesterday, bucking was today and for the next several days, and I thought felling was tiring.

I limbed the branches as the kids drug them to a brush pile to be moved later, and I started cutting up the logs.

I have to give props to my 550xp, I wasn't a huge fan of it when I got it, but it was screaming today. It even hot started on one pull several times.

And I learned that although big saws are cooler and fun, a little 170 is nice for limbing. My back couldn't handle the bigger saw for much longer.

I know these aren't amazing piles of lumber, or giant redwoods, but I still have 3 more of them to do and I'm exhausted. I would love a bobcat with a grapple bucket right about now.

Anyway, the point of this post was to show my respect to you guys that do this for a living, you must be taught S.O.B.'s.

Also dont judge my cuts too hard.

20200831_190408.jpg

20200831_190427.jpg
20200831_190514.jpg

I have a buddy coming to help me buck it up and haul it away Saturday luckily.

After nagging my wife, she finally agreed to let me cut down 4 big trees that were nearly dead and dangerously close to our house and pool.

Each tree was 30+" in diameter. I know that small for most of you guys, but for a hobby farmer like me these are big.

Anyway, I was pretty excited to get out my new 3120xp as I have yet to do any work with it, and even though the 42" bar was overkill, it was still a blast.

But, as much fun as it was and as excited I was to fell the trees, man was it exhausting. I know I'm not in the best shape but geez!

I had to take a breather between each tree I dropped. My heart was pounding, I was sweating like crazy, and this was just dropping them.

In my defense, I did have covid a few weeks ago and it just seems like my energy hasn't fully returned.

Felling was yesterday, bucking was today and for the next several days, and I thought felling was tiring.

I limbed the branches as the kids drug them to a brush pile to be moved later, and I started cutting up the logs.

I have to give props to my 550xp, I wasn't a huge fan of it when I got it, but it was screaming today. It even hot started on one pull several times.

And I learned that although big saws are cooler and fun, a little 170 is nice for limbing. My back couldn't handle the bigger saw for much longer.

I know these aren't amazing piles of lumber, or giant redwoods, but I still have 3 more of them to do and I'm exhausted. I would love a bobcat with a grapple bucket right about now.

Anyway, the point of this post was to show my respect to you guys that do this for a living, you must be taught S.O.B.'s.

View attachment 852229

View attachment 852228
View attachment 852230

the Husqvarna 550xp is one of the best little powerhouses made , could have made all cuts on a couple of large trees with just that saw , if needed I have , see you brought out the big dog ( 3120 ) for the big cuts .... nice .

the Husqvarna 550xp is one of the best little powerhouses made , could have made all cuts on a couple of large trees with just that saw , if needed I have , see you brought out the big dog ( 3120 ) for the big cuts .... nice .
I did make all the large cuts with the 550, only used the 3120 for dropping them. I have had it for a few months and haven't had a chance to run it yet, so I figured now was a good time.

I did make all the large cuts with the 550, only used the 3120 for dropping them. I have had it for a few months and haven't had a chance to run it yet, so I figured now was a good time.
3120 is no joke, those trees didn’t stand a chance,.
No wonder you were sweating, that animal is some shock to the system.

what killed the trees? leaves are dead but the wood looks strong and no rot. just wondering? good job by the way.

What you cant see is the stump is starting to rot from the middle out and has many dead branches that were hanging over the hluse. I'm not exactly sure why they are dying. I have 31 acres and trees are dying everywhere. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression these trees were ash. And the beetles have decimated them here. I cut down 15 big ones along my driveway last year.

But I also had to cut down a big dead apple tree and a big rotten walnut a few months ago, and have many more.

View attachment 852229

View attachment 852228
View attachment 852230

after a couple weeks that 3120 will feel light as a feather lol

takes some time to work up the various muscle groups, but like anything you get accustomed to it and then it looks easy

Has someone been cutting grass and blowing it against the trees you have dying,
are the dying trees fed by a water source nearby that may be contaminated, industrial
or chemical waste in the ground.

Has someone been cutting grass and blowing it against the trees you have dying,
are the dying trees fed by a water source nearby that may be contaminated, industrial
or chemical waste in the ground.
I'm not sure. We do get alot of runoff from the neighboring corn/soybean field. Its possible their pesticides/herbicides are the problem.

I'm not sure. We do get alot of runoff from the neighboring corn/soybean field. Its possible their pesticides/herbicides are the problem.
That would really suck, I like the idea of letting the trees live until their time comes,
unless they constitute a danger or such.

That would really suck, I like the idea of letting the trees live until their time comes,
unless they constitute a danger or such.
I have only been cutting down the ones that are either overhanging the house, or pool, barn, or vehicle parking. The ones in the fields can live out their days until they fall on their own.

If you look at the far row of trees on the left in the first picture you can see a long line of dead ones right on the highway. I am hoping the county takes care of those for me. I can't easily get to them.

I have only been cutting down the ones that are either overhanging the house, or pool, barn, or vehicle parking. The ones in the fields can live out their days until they fall on their own.

If you look at the far row of trees on the left in the first picture you can see a long line of dead ones right on the highway. I am hoping the county takes care of those for me. I can't easily get to them.
You could sell the trees standing, let the buyer cut them, get all your money
up front, and be there for the last couple, don’t allow them to be cut until
any mess the buyer makes is cleaned up first, have them sign to this effect,
and a disclaimer regarding any injury or damage while on your property.

You could sell the trees standing, let the buyer cut them, get all your money
up front, and be there for the last couple, don’t allow them to be cut until
any mess the buyer makes is cleaned up first, have them sign to this effect,
and a disclaimer regarding any injury or damage while on your property.
Wouldn't that put me on the Craigslist laugh thread?

Latest posts

Back