Novice Climbers Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Once again we read on here another person wishing to start climbing and yet they don't know where to start, what equipment to get or who to contact with questions. I bring this up because I was there too. Seems like a lot of repeat threads, which is only caused because they are generally new to the site and haven't been reading it for years. I think it would be nice to have a thread especially designed for answering questions about climbing for the beginner. Maybe even a forum. A place for one to go to ask the simple questions and feel comfortable doing so. I know we like to give a guy a hard time once and a while but I would like to see a place on here where the new climbers don't have to worry about catching flack for some of the seemingly simple questions. A place to post pictures of gear and setups guys are using. A place to coach those willing to learn.

I am not putting myself in the category to being a coach, I'm still learning myself, but there are a lot of guys on here with the ability to spread their knowledge and expand the professionalism in tree care.

Just a thought

Okay I'll stick this thread and we will see how it goes. Lets change the name to Novice Climbers thread.

I have the hardest time with a removal of a Vase shaped tree that is only 35-40 feet tall. The problem I have is that the limbs are small in diameter and at a terrible angle to try to climb. Spurring doesn't seem to work because of the diameter, walking the limb is almost impossible because of the angle and shimmying the limb is a major workout and very hard to keep your balance. If you do shimmy it, and then rope off of the limb you are on because it is the only option, you better hold on when you make your cut. The oak I did this past week, made me feel like a bull rider, but there was no other option. The frustrating thing is you got to go up and top the limb off or it will hit something below if cut toward the bottom. The other problem I have is tieing in at the top with no large branches or Y's to hook into due to the tree size.

I enjoyed climbing down south with nice tall trees but around here 40-60 ft is average. Put that over a house and it doesn't give you much room for the tip to swing.

I know what you mean. We have a lot of trees like that here too. As far as cutting limbs like that goes, I'll tip-tie the limb with a webbing sling and pull it back toward the trunk as I cut it low. I'm not sure how big of a limb you're talking though. This only works on smaller stuff that you can handle by hand. For larger stuff you could use the method illustrated in the pic. It's not to scale but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I do that a lot but when the top tie in is as small as the limb you are working on, it doesn't make you feel very good about tieing in.

Do you throw bag the tip tie?

I'll either use a monkey fist or a pruner. The pruner works well for retreiving the monkey fist too. I know what you mean about TIPs. I hate not having a high TIP, I get real uncomfortable when I have to work above or level with my TIP. Another thing I will do if the crotches are narrow or small, is girth hitch or wrap a friction saver around the limb I want to tie in to instead of using the crotch. You will have to tie in a little lower than normal, but it would be more secure.

In the rare cases that the tie in point IS the limb you have to remove, carry some extra slings and biners with you to tie in further as you go, so that if you fall, you just tied in a few ft. ago. (if the limb holds you)
No need to swing all the way back to the trunk.

Redbull said:
I'll tip-tie the limb with a webbing sling and pull it back toward the trunk as I cut it low. I'm not sure how big of a limb you're talking though. This only works on smaller stuff that you can handle by hand. For larger stuff you could use the method illustrated in the pic. It's not to scale but you get the idea.

Somebody gave me some good advice to be sure and tag line the butt of a large limb as well as the top, to keep it from swinging in to me when it comes loose.

boo said:
In the rare cases that the tie in point IS the limb you have to remove, carry some extra slings and biners with you to tie in further as you go, so that if you fall, you just tied in a few ft. ago. (if the limb holds you)

Almost sounds like a multiple re-direct!!!

New To Tree Climbing?

Let's Dedicate this thread to the new Tree Guy.

IF you are a novice tree climber and need some help Post your questions here.

No one will make fun of you or I will DELETE Their post.

Lets try to keep this thread on topic so i dont have to edit and let a new climber ask the questions.

Here is another usefull thread
http://arborist.************/showthread.php?t=26924

boo said:

I think that is half my problem, I tie in too much. I will tie in to the limb I'm on with a flip line and then tie in ahead of me as far as I can reach, undo the first work my way to the second, when I get there I tie in as far out as I can reach and repeat the process.

Well you may be a bit slow but at least you come home alive and in one piece. I like the idea of a novice climber thread.....heck I'll contribute...first question...what do you all who are more experienced climbers think us newbies need to do not to get ourselves killed or maimed out there trying to prove ourselves? Second...what do you all think is a good basic climbing equipment set for the beginner? Thanks,
J.D.

To go along with your equipment question if there is anyone that has pictures of their setups could you post them. I was lucky to have a coach for a few months but some people may not have been so lucky and a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think the best thing newbies can do when seeking our guidance is to clearly define what it is they are doing now, so that we know exactly where best to make improvements. Sometimes new people sign up and their first post is along the lines of, "Hi guys, I've been reading these posts for like a year now and have never posted. Just thought I would officially sign up today. What can I do to be better?"

That gives us nothing to go on. Now if someone comes on and says, "I have been climbing for 7 years, I learned everything all from one guy, who is the BEST in the industry, and I am using a one of those adjustable flip lines where it's doubled back on itself and has a prussick knot on it, but sometimes the prusick knot is at the back of the tree and I can't adjust it. Is there a way to fix that? Oh, and my topline hitch is slipping. Any ideas?"

We can work with that!

There are also great videos available online, for free, that will help a newbie a LOT!

love
nick

I've been climbing for about two years, just fininshed another course 'cause I realized my initial training wasn't enough to deal with the increasing complexity of the jobs I was getting.
Advice - know your limits, ask for help (just what you're doing now) also, just before every cut ask yourself, what will happen if this goes wrong? It may just be enough for you to slightly reposition, or make that last check of tie in point or what will the tree or branch do when you cut it. I've had enough times where that extra 15 second was enough to ensure all went well instead of a nasty shock or jolt or swing. Be safe.

About 3 years ago I got really sick of scrounging free wood by the roadways, 'wood-fairy' style. So I hung up a flyer in the local supermarket for "Tree Service". I've been reading everything I can about knots and climbing and technique since. I borrowed some spikes and a harness and tore up some of the trees in my backyard, finally bought my own ropes and stuff and have been learning on every job since. I tell homeowners flat out, up front that I have no insurance and they will have to make the call. I tell them about how I am going to do the job, tell them what I think the risks are and let them make the call. Most don't care, they say their homeowners insurance will cover them. I turn down about 1 job in 10 because of the risk. Power lines, buildings, etc... I guess I'm the guy you big guys hate - the pick-up and chainsaw no overhead guy stealing all the cake removal jobs. I probably did 25 jobs in the last 6 months, strictly partime, weekends, etc. I charge $40/hr for just me and $20/hr if I have to bring a groundie(plus some minimum and some travel time, depending on the job)

Yesterday(Sunday) Pruning a large Silver maple for roof clearance:

I walked way out on a limb with a high tie-in point above me back at the main trunk. I would normally tie off to another branch to hold my position out from right below the tie in point like that, but there wasn't anything good to use. I was cutting a branch, it came free, I lost my balance because of the sudden extra weight of the freshly cut branch and the branch I was "standing" on springing up. I swung back into the trunk, crashing through some smaller branches on the way. I guess it's no big deal, it happens, that's why the ropes are there. I really seem to struggle with the 'limb walking'. Fun tree though, good tie in points, lots of really complicated maneuvering. The neighborhood wasn't any fun, though - gangs, hookers, gunshots, the whole deal. When the guy was paying me and we're shootin' the **** a little, I could hear him idly clicking his safety on and off in his pocket. I guess that's why I really like working in the better neighborhoods!

Hey, you asked.

Swings like that CAN be fatal, and they CAN cause serious injury. If you're at risk of swinging a great distance, use a second tie-in.

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. I have been wanting to get more into climbing but I need some new gear. What do you all recommend? Specifically, whats best?

That one's for you Nick! :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back