Novice Climbers Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been climbing around 6-8 months now. Being in the UK we all have to compleat a basic climbing and rescue course before we can climb commerically. The place i do my practice "recreatonal" climbing only lets me do it because i have the qualification and provided them with a risk assessment.

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/9828/dscf01705uj.jpg

Thats my gear i have the wide back version of Willans T22
All the Karabiners are 30Kn triple locking
Rope is Yale XTC 150' with a soft eye
Just got a basic lanyard at the moment but i'm thinking of using a 3m bit of XTC Fire with a pully and VT into a triple locking karabiner with a splice eye at the other end which would again be on a 3 way karabiner.

Its all out the bag for post use inspection from that day, chainsaw wasn't used but was still on the tear away strap. The rope normally sits coiled in a rope bag.

A useful website might be www.nptc.org.uk and click on assessment schedules and find tree climbing and areial rescue. Thats the basic minimum requirment to climb in the UK. Nearlly all the ones in Arbocultural operations i think its called are compusarly to do that task for insurance purposes.

I think that is cool that you are required to pass a battery of tests before you can climb. It would be interesting to see how many existing tree guys would pass that test here in the U.S. It would probably help the insurance rates here. Nice gear Brushcutter.

Redbull said:
I think that is cool that you are required to pass a battery of tests before you can climb. It would be interesting to see how many existing tree guys would pass that test here in the U.S. It would probably help the insurance rates here. Nice gear Brushcutter.

Its not just climbing its anything to do with chainsaws we need to pass a test to use a chainsaw there are some 5 tests that i can think of to do with tree felling. I'd expect that at lot of US climber would get through the climbing part quite easily. I've never seen rope rescue dicussed on the boards so maybe its an area you don't do as much. We have to be trained in all 4 methods (Using your system and casulties, yours only, Belay and spike rescue using Belay) and you have to pass using yours and casulitys rescue system and you get to choose one more. I did rescue 2.

I think that's a good idea. How many here have been formally trained in rescue? I'll admit that I've only been very informally trained at Asplundh. I was shown on the ground what to do, but never got to actually try a rescue. What I do know is something that stuck with me though. Chainsaw training is very important also.

PTS said:
I think that is half my problem, I tie in too much. I will tie in to the limb I'm on with a flip line and then tie in ahead of me as far as I can reach, undo the first work my way to the second, when I get there I tie in as far out as I can reach and repeat the process.

I don't see that as a problem...not tying in ENOUGH, now that is a problem. I keep a 25 foot climbing line with me to help set up extra balance point/safety and sometimes have a 2nd full climbing line with me, too.

Not ALL of these ropes were safety...but there are times when I have 3 safeties on (2 ropes and a lanyard).

Bermie said:
Advice - know your limits, ask for help (just what you're doing now) also, just before every cut ask yourself, what will happen if this goes wrong? It may just be enough for you to slightly reposition, or make that last check of tie in point or what will the tree or branch do when you cut it. I've had enough times where that extra 15 second was enough to ensure all went well instead of a nasty shock or jolt or swing. Be safe.

This is one of the most important posts I have read on any of these sites...AS, TB, TH.

Taking that extra few seconds to review it all and rethink it one more time is critical. I have discovered several errors in my setup or rigging before that could have been fatal...that extra look/think is tremendously important.

pantheraba said:
This is one of the most important posts I have read on any of these sites...AS, TB, TH.

Taking that extra few seconds to review it all and rethink it one more time is critical. I have discovered several errors in my setup or rigging before that could have been fatal...that extra look/think is tremendously important.

Agreed.
After a double or triple check of the physics, I've found myself thanking God that I didn't make that cut yet.
Most times I have a good ground guy give a good view of things after he steps back and looks at the "big picture" just to make sure I see what I think I see.

boo said:
Agreed.
After a double or triple check of the physics, I've found myself thanking God that I didn't make that cut yet.
Most times I have a good ground guy give a good view of things after he steps back and looks at the "big picture" just to make sure I see what I think I see.

I totally agree with that...all of it. I also invite input from others...they might see something I don't...and I tell them not to be shy about suggesting something. It may be something I did not foresee.

Having a knowledgable groundman (preferably one that is a climber too) is probably one of the best tools you can have, IMO.

Redbull said:
I think that's a good idea. How many here have been formally trained in rescue? I'll admit that I've only been very informally trained at Asplundh. I was shown on the ground what to do, but never got to actually try a rescue. What I do know is something that stuck with me though. Chainsaw training is very important also.

Most companies here are expected to practice rescue at least once a month.

I agree with you redbull, having another climber as a groundie would be awesome, I find that my skills improve most when I am pushed by someone else. It's kind of like running, I ran cross country in high school. When I was younger and there were several runners faster than me, I had a clear goal. When I was the fastest at the school and had no one along to push me, I worked or ran at the pace that worked best at the time. Working with another climber is awesome in that you have two sets of trained eyes, but I really like the ability to learn from someone else. Also, I wouldn't necessarily compete with another climber, but like running, it would defenitely help keep me at the top of my game.. if that makes any sense.

being pushed is good, however, i think that we as climbers should be good at one type of felling before working on another. one problem that i had was that i was climbing 1x every other week. one time it would be light pruning, next time removal near building, next time removal into open space. i feel that training should happen in clumps: learn how to climb by pruning- get some under the belt-> learn to do removals into open space -> climb for removals with objects around (fences, brick walkways)-> removals near buildings. the BIGGEST problem that i had was that i felt that i was not trained enough to move to the next step, but was pressured into it becuase i knew that i would not climb for another week. i remember climbing a catalpa near a building. i removed everything away from a house, then i had no clue how to do the rest. the only rigging i had ever done was to slowly lower branches, never to swing branches away from buildings. i had to climb down and the owner had to finish it the next day

bottlefed89 said:
I agree with you redbull, having another climber as a groundie would be awesome,....
I've always said another climber is the best groundman, but I also like being in a large tree training noobs.
Makes them more comfortable being up there with someone to explain things 1st hand and not having to yell so everyone can hear you give direction.
Cuts down on relocating tie in points too.

I did tree work with my dad about 40+ years ago and I wish we had the equipment I'm seeing today. A climber used one climbing rope--1/2" manila--with a snap tied about 16" from the saddle-connection end...the 16" was to tie the old climber's knot. Don't get me wrong--I'm not being critical; I think the newer equipment is great. Even our saddles were laced with 1/2" manila.

I was around the business from age 13 to 19 and my dad was the greatest climber I ever saw. He never used spurs unless the tree was coming down; I've seen some climbers today who always use them.

I know my post adds nothing to this site, but I enjoy reading those put here by you youngsters who are still in the business. Thanks.

Jack

hi-jacker said:
I did tree work with my dad about 40+ years ago and I wish we had the equipment I'm seeing today. A climber used one climbing rope--1/2" manila--with a snap tied about 16" from the saddle-connection end...the 16" was to tie the old climber's knot. .........

I know my post adds nothing to this site, but I enjoy reading those put here by you youngsters who are still in the business. Thanks.

Jack

I think you just did a good job of adding there. Your post helps remind some of us what it was like then...I learned on manila in the early 70's, too. Used a tautline hitch ("tree knot" I called it) off the double butterfly that I snapped into the saddle.

Your post helps us realize how far things have come. I had some rockclimbing experience before tree climbing. When I brought my Eiger oval plain biners to work to use, to try to adapt them to what we were doing, it was a first for the other climber, my teacher.

And your post might help the younger guys think about how much was done then with so little. Pass along what you remember about how y'all did it...may help jog the memory of others.

Back