ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Now I get to experience the sad part of my new job

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Was looking at the newspaper this morning-yes we still get one a few days a week lol-and it hit me square in the face that I was looking at the obituary of a sweetheart of a man that I drove over the past few months for the Vision Loss center. I was supposed to pick him up a few weeks ago and he wasn't there, and my heart sank as I called my boss to report it. He called his son and said that he was in the hospital but was okay, was finally getting some tests that he probably should've gotten awhile ago but was okay; I know he was troubled with dizziness and low blood pressure, but he had been going to doctors about it, so I figured he'd be out of there and we'd be going again in the near future but that isn't the case. But he is better off now, was 83, lived in the back part of a friends house, wife had passed, had to sell his house awhile back, and I'll always remember him telling me that what he misses the most is the "conversations and mental stimulation" of communicating with people, and of course that was made much worse thanks to Covid. I called him a few times just to say hello and check on him, he called my house a few times, it was like we had known each other for years not just months, and it was an honor to have known the guy, such a sweet, kind, gentle man, if even half the world was half as nice as he was this world would be a much better place.

I recall many times seeing my wife sit with tears in her eyes as she would see the obits of patients she had known for years at the eye doctor...I guess now it's my turn.....

Godspeed Ray, I hope to see you on the other side someday.....it was an honor to have known you my friend.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a wonderful man who lived a good, long life.

Since working at the post office, I've lost quite a few customers, some regular box-holders, some occasional walk-ins. None of them I know well, or socially, but they all leave a void and I miss their routine visits and kind words.
We have one, an older gentleman, lost his wife many years ago, has Alzheimer's and I know it's just a matter of time. Before the covid, every time he came in he would come to the counter and kiss the back of my hand, and I called him my Prince Charming. We take him his mail now, and I see him only about once a month . Still always smiling and kind when he comes in.
I already miss him a lot.
:(

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a wonderful man who lived a good, long life.

Since working at the post office, I've lost quite a few customers, some regular box-holders, some occasional walk-ins. None of them I know well, or socially, but they all leave a void and I miss their routine visits and kind words.
We have one, an older gentleman, lost his wife many years ago, has Alzheimer's and I know it's just a matter of time. Before the covid, every time he came in he would come to the counter and kiss the back of my hand, and I called him my Prince Charming. We take him his mail now, and I see him only about once a month . Still always smiling and kind when he comes in.
I already miss him a lot.
:(
This is so sad but so sweet at the same time, wow.....

Yes, I have met some wonderful people already, and it is tough when they get news that their eyesight is getting worse, the way that they deal with it is just amazing to me, an inspiration, but it hurts when they get bad news.

There is another woman named Helen that I have taken, and the first time that I was to pick her up I pulled up to her house and there was a police car and a paramedic vehicle in her driveway. My heart sank, I thought something really bad must've happened, but then the paramedic came out and was laughing which confused me, so I asked "is everything alright?" and he proceeded to tell me that she had driven her battery operated wheelchair up the street, across a very busy street to buy cigarettes and the batteries died lol! He said she was fine but of course ornery and said "good luck" lol! Well, as I was taking her she was full of pee and vinegar, very upset about this whole thing, but I stayed calm and we got to talking, and she was talking about the girls at the front desk of this doctors office how they didn't take her insurance off a list; I then told her that my wife works in a doctors office and is getting yelled at all the time, everything is always her and the other girls fault, letting her know that it usually isn't but that we would get the issue fixed. Well, she was a real terror in there, chewing out the poor girl at the desk for not doing her job, throwing the clipboard back at her that she was supposed to fill out for Covid, saying things like "I thought computers were supposed to make things easier" and really cranked up. I winked at the girl, said I would take the clipboard and help her fill it out and had Helen sit down and I knelt beside her, and of course all of the waiting room was watching and listening to this "show", so I said loudly "you didn't have a good day so far with your wheelchair batteries dying on you" and that seemed to make the other people more comfortable and they looked away, but as I was asking her the questions on the list she was still ornery but all of a sudden grabbed my arm and said "now I'm yelling at you dear like people yell at your wife", and after that she was much better.

Around Christmas I was asked if I could go to the office and take a bag of Helen's belongings and her house key to her house to give it to her sister who was coming in from another state, Helen was in the hospital. I was worried that things weren't looking good for her, she has many issues and is around 83 so I was afraid this wasn't going to go too well. I have taken her once since then, she said she had been staying with her sister and family out of state but seemed better, and we talked about me bringing the bag over to her sister and all, and when I took her home she was shoving a $20 bill at me; I said "what's this for?" and she said that she wanted to give it to me for helping her sister out and bringing the bag over and all, and I told her how I really appreciated the thought, that it was so so sweet but I can't take it, she needed her money, I explained that I got paid to drive it over in the company car, I really appreciated it but couldn't take it and told her that I wasn't allowed to take it anyway, if I get "tips" I can't keep them I have to turn them in and they put it towards coffee and cups and plates and things like that for the kitchen and she growled "well that's not right!!!" :laugh:

I was supposed to take her the other day but got the same issue when calling her, a message that says no one can answer, try again later, the phone beeps 4 times and then it says "mailbox is full", so I notified my boss and he called her sister, and here she is in the hospital again...I don't know how serious it is, but this one will end up the same way that Ray did one day, I'll learn that she has passed, and I'm sure that this scenario will play out many times over the time that I will work here. But all I can do is make sure that the time we have together is well spent, that I treat them with kindness and respect and love, and hopefully give them a little something to brighten their day.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
This is so sad but so sweet at the same time, wow.....

Yes, I have met some wonderful people already, and it is tough when they get news that their eyesight is getting worse, the way that they deal with it is just amazing to me, an inspiration, but it hurts when they get bad news.

There is another woman named Helen that I have taken, and the first time that I was to pick her up I pulled up to her house and there was a police car and a paramedic vehicle in her driveway. My heart sank, I thought something really bad must've happened, but then the paramedic came out and was laughing which confused me, so I asked "is everything alright?" and he proceeded to tell me that she had driven her battery operated wheelchair up the street, across a very busy street to buy cigarettes and the batteries died lol! He said she was fine but of course ornery and said "good luck" lol! Well, as I was taking her she was full of pee and vinegar, very upset about this whole thing, but I stayed calm and we got to talking, and she was talking about the girls at the front desk of this doctors office how they didn't take her insurance off a list; I then told her that my wife works in a doctors office and is getting yelled at all the time, everything is always her and the other girls fault, letting her know that it usually isn't but that we would get the issue fixed. Well, she was a real terror in there, chewing out the poor girl at the desk for not doing her job, throwing the clipboard back at her that she was supposed to fill out for Covid, saying things like "I thought computers were supposed to make things easier" and really cranked up. I winked at the girl, said I would take the clipboard and help her fill it out and had Helen sit down and I knelt beside her, and of course all of the waiting room was watching and listening to this "show", so I said loudly "you didn't have a good day so far with your wheelchair batteries dying on you" and that seemed to make the other people more comfortable and they looked away, but as I was asking her the questions on the list she was still ornery but all of a sudden grabbed my arm and said "now I'm yelling at you dear like people yell at your wife", and after that she was much better.

Around Christmas I was asked if I could go to the office and take a bag of Helen's belongings and her house key to her house to give it to her sister who was coming in from another state, Helen was in the hospital. I was worried that things weren't looking good for her, she has many issues and is around 83 so I was afraid this wasn't going to go too well. I have taken her once since then, she said she had been staying with her sister and family out of state but seemed better, and we talked about me bringing the bag over to her sister and all, and when I took her home she was shoving a $20 bill at me; I said "what's this for?" and she said that she wanted to give it to me for helping her sister out and bringing the bag over and all, and I told her how I really appreciated the thought, that it was so so sweet but I can't take it, she needed her money, I explained that I got paid to drive it over in the company car, I really appreciated it but couldn't take it and told her that I wasn't allowed to take it anyway, if I get "tips" I can't keep them I have to turn them in and they put it towards coffee and cups and plates and things like that for the kitchen and she growled "well that's not right!!!" :laugh:

I was supposed to take her the other day but got the same issue when calling her, a message that says no one can answer, try again later, the phone beeps 4 times and then it says "mailbox is full", so I notified my boss and he called her sister, and here she is in the hospital again...I don't know how serious it is, but this one will end up the same way that Ray did one day, I'll learn that she has passed, and I'm sure that this scenario will play out many times over the time that I will work here. But all I can do is make sure that the time we have together is well spent, that I treat them with kindness and respect and love, and hopefully give them a little something to brighten their day.
You, sir, are an angel... takes a very big heart to do what you do for a living. :heart:

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
@PA. Woodsman

Caring is a double edged sword. Anyone kind enough to be good at your job, is also going to be bothered the most when they lose someone. It takes tremendous strength to have that caring and keep picking up that blade.

It's good that there are people like you in the world.
Thank you all. Tonight I got a call from one of the bosses at work, she had a few questions about some things and she was talking to me about Ray, and she said "you made his world a little better at the end" and I said "he did the same for me" as he did. And she also told me that this lady Helen is having heart troubles and trouble breathing, so I don't know how that is going to play out., I just hope that whatever is best for her happens.

And to think that if it wasn't for me losing my packing and shipping job of 21 years because of Covid I wouldn't have gotten this job. I remember how nerve rattling it was for that to happen, how I was wondering through the Spring and Summer what I was going to do, how I gave this job a try in early August, liked it and took it, how it was tough for me to accept that I no longer had my old job, but a few weeks ago I went for a long walk and did some thinking, and I realized "this is my job now, this is what I do, the other job is gone", and mentally I got over the hump.

But the strange thing is at times driving to my old job I would go past the Vision Center, see the blue and white awning out front and actually would think "I wonder what it would be like to work there?", true story!!

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thank you all. Tonight I got a call from one of the bosses at work, she had a few questions about some things and she was talking to me about Ray, and she said "you made his world a little better at the end" and I said "he did the same for me" as he did. And she also told me that this lady Helen is having heart troubles and trouble breathing, so I don't know how that is going to play out., I just hope that whatever is best for her happens.

And to think that if it wasn't for me losing my packing and shipping job of 21 years because of Covid I wouldn't have gotten this job. I remember how nerve rattling it was for that to happen, how I was wondering through the Spring and Summer what I was going to do, how I gave this job a try in early August, liked it and took it, how it was tough for me to accept that I no longer had my old job, but a few weeks ago I went for a long walk and did some thinking, and I realized "this is my job now, this is what I do, the other job is gone", and mentally I got over the hump.

But the strange thing is at times driving to my old job I would go past the Vision Center, see the blue and white awning out front and actually would think "I wonder what it would be like to work there?", true story!!
I love happy endings. :cheers:

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well today was another adventure, I called a guy yesterday and left a message what time I would pick him up and said to just call me if that time is no good, a lot just feel whatever time I say is okay so when he didn't call me back I didn't think much of it. So I got there today and he wasn't there in the lobby, I called to let him know that I was there, nothing....I went to the door and a woman was there and I asked "is this the only lobby here?" and she asked me who I was picking up and she said "I think he died!" She wasn't quite sure so she took me over to the office and the two women there confirmed it, had a heart attack the other day and that was that, only in his early 60's.

I called my boss to tell him and he said "these people are going to say don't send you to pick them up" jokingly of course, but he said it really didn't surprise him as he knew this guy didn't have much, didn't eat well as he saw the groceries he would buy, so I guess he is better off where he is now, he was living in a one room apartment at the YMCA which was sad, he didn't have a very good life here so hopefully the next one is better for the poor guy.

Wow......

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well today was another adventure, I called a guy yesterday and left a message what time I would pick him up and said to just call me if that time is no good, a lot just feel whatever time I say is okay so when he didn't call me back I didn't think much of it. So I got there today and he wasn't there in the lobby, I called to let him know that I was there, nothing....I went to the door and a woman was there and I asked "is this the only lobby here?" and she asked me who I was picking up and she said "I think he died!" She wasn't quite sure so she took me over to the office and the two women there confirmed it, had a heart attack the other day and that was that, only in his early 60's.

I called my boss to tell him and he said "these people are going to say don't send you to pick them up" jokingly of course, but he said it really didn't surprise him as he knew this guy didn't have much, didn't eat well as he saw the groceries he would buy, so I guess he is better off where he is now, he was living in a one room apartment at the YMCA which was sad, he didn't have a very good life here so hopefully the next one is better for the poor guy.

Wow......
Oh well. Better luck tomorrow!;)