Numb hands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACKLBLTREECO

Reaction score
I’m trying to see if anybody else has any problems with this. I’m a experienced climber 15+ years now and I am going thru my hands and arms being so numb I can’t even climb sometimes. To grip the saw kills me. Absolute pain shooting through my arms. Is this typical for a 35 year old man

Sounds like carpel tunnel. Mines nowhere near that bad. I get some relief by wearing wrist braces the I sleep. Otherwise I wake up with my hands numb. Surgery will help, but be aware that it can still return.
At work wear rubber cushioned gloves to stop some vibes and sleep with your arms down at side.

I had terrible pain in my in my hands, face and feet and constant fatigue. Turned out to be neuropathy caused by an under active thyroid caused by a root canal that got infected. Not saying that is what it is but it may be an underlying issue. I was 28 or so at the time we figured it out but started a few years before that.

See a neurologist. Don’t guess. Carpal tunnel syndrome usually affects the hand and fingers, not the arms. Could be something in your elbows, or even neck / spine. Could be some condition that you never knew you had. See a doctor so that you know what you are dealing with, and your treatment options.

Philbert

See a neurologist. Don’t guess. Carpal tunnel syndrome usually affects the hand and fingers, not the arms. Could be something in your elbows, or even neck / spine. Could be some condition that you never knew you had. See a doctor so that you know what you are dealing with, and your treatment options.

Philbert
Good point, i suffer from numb hands, had it checked out, thinking it was carpal tunnel, turns out I have Cervical Spondylosis. Worth getting it checked out soon!

I’m trying to see if anybody else has any problems with this. I’m a experienced climber 15+ years now and I am going thru my hands and arms being so numb I can’t even climb sometimes. To grip the saw kills me. Absolute pain shooting through my arms. Is this typical for a 35 year old man
Thoracic outlet syndrome. Just found out about it myself, I'm 32.

Is it worse in one one hand? Do you notice it right after making a saw cut? I have problems with vibration from time to time from using chain saws, sanders and similar vibrating tools.

Is it worse in one one hand? Do you notice it right after making a saw cut? I have problems with vibration from time to time from using chain saws, sanders and similar vibrating tools.
That sounds more consistent with Carpal tunnel

I just started getting these symptoms and some things beyond my normal treatment have really been helping. I use KT tape all day everyday, once you learn how to roll it from the bottom of your palm to the crease of you elbow it does help some. The second is a series of stretches from this guy.

I also see a chiropractor once a week (tons of prior permanent damage from racing) all of this really helps out in the long run.

I am a Chiropractor and also certified in Acupuncture. First advice is nobody can diagnose you online. I treat your type of symptoms in all age groups for a living. My clinic always ends up with the tough cases instead of just the regular back or neck pain. The potential causes of your problem are numerous. Sometimes it's an easy fix , other times it could be a surgical situation. TOS for example can be caused by multiple things, and some causes are easy to treat.
My 2nd advice would be to find a Chiropractor or PT that does Active Release Technique. Give him 3 treatments. If no improvement then consider alternative avenues. Cervical xrays are usually a good idea. Acupuncture can also work well depending on what's going on. I travel with a very successful college sports program, and see a lot of extremity injuries. Everything I am writing is just an opinion. It is not meant to go against whatever your primary care physician suggests. Good luck!

My 2nd advice would be to find a Chiropractor or PT that does Active Release Technique. Give him 3 treatments. ....
How do you recommend finding a practitioner who does this? Just call around? Is it something pretty "normal" that Chiropractors do?

Edit: I searched. Found active release dot com. There was a place to search for providers.

There is only one provider listed in my zip code (45840). Didn't recognize the name. Clicked on the address which opens Google Maps as expected and shows a street view. Here is the street view:
....but first, I'm just gonna say, that I'm not sure if this is the same thing you were referring to for this "active release" treatment!

Street view:

street view.JPG

No most Chiropractor don't do soft tissue type treatments. I would say the majority do same thing for everyone that walks in the door. Find a Chiro with a larger skill set.
And yes ART is Active Release Technique. They do have a provider search on the forums. This won't guarantee you find a good Chiropractor but it will immensely help your odds because Chiros that get certified in ART or other certifications are normally driven to be better. We have to do online education and you can do the cheap route for a couple hundred bucks or you can do stuff like ART which each seminar is normally over 2 grand. The ones that spend the money on their continuing education are normally the ones that have a bigger bag of tricks to dig in when trying to fix the problem. They are also probably less likely to be the salesman type who try getting everyone to do long treatment plans.

ATH: I looked up the website of the doctor you found on your search. That is exactly the type of provider I would go with. You should know if he is going to help you within 3 visits or so. Sometimes it takes that 2nd and 3rd visit to narrow down the problems. Sometimes the area of pain isn't the actual cause. Good luck and feel free to message any questions. I have been trying to check the site most days.

Latest posts

Back